What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Looking for opinions on this system

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Captain Ewers
KVRer

1 post since 4 Mar, 2014

Postby Captain Ewers; Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:32 pm Looking for opinions on this system

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.

Hey people,

I'm just looking for a quick "yay" or "nay" on the following system setup:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/sys/4357205230.html (http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/sys/4357205230.html)

I've been creating music for quite a few years, and I'm looking to break out of my VERY limited FL Studio setup and try something along the lines of Ableton. I'm just wondering if dual quad-core Xeons are useful for music production? I would be doing lots of intense orchestral arrangements, many VST instances, along with live recording and such.

I'm more of a composer than a hardware guy, so I just wanted to run this by your more educated eyes. Thank you!
holdebolder
KVRist

46 posts since 5 May, 2012

Postby holdebolder; Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:01 am Re: Looking for opinions on this system

a dual xeon will work fine. You nead to be ful 64-bits for this with your software or it is overkill.

This is quite a powerfull system with lots of ram and you will not be running out of steam any time soon with such a setup. It is a system of 2010 so it has some years and probably there had been a problem with the power supply.
I suppose the machine has had some running hours in the past, but if you can get it for a good price, this is certainly not a bad choice.

Imo this is not a game-machine but a real workstation that you can use for games offcourse.
jcschild
KVRian

1176 posts since 25 Dec, 2003, from Kentucky y'all

Postby jcschild; Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:00 am Re: Looking for opinions on this system

really old system, going to be loud todays single processors would outperform in a heart beat. older ram tech so no where near the memory bandwidth you can get with newer systems.
and a dual Xeon is way overkill for your needs.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Computer Setup and System Configuration