What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

pdxindy
KVRAF
 
8722 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

paradiddle wrote:You need to download the presets and wavefiles installer. It's right under the kaivo demo.


Oh, thanks... didn't occur to me that there would be two downloads needed
pdxindy
KVRAF
 
8722 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:56 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

It is pretty heavy on cpu... I have a 2.8ghz i7 quad and with 48k and a buffer of 512 I start to get cpu crackles at 5-6 notes... 4 notes seems safe so far

One preset sits at 67% (4 notes) and that is the same whether I play a note or not. This is definitely a bounce every instance to audio kind of synth.

The sound is excellent. Especially on some of the string type sounds the low end is exceptional.
User avatar
Motion
KVRian
 
625 posts since 12 Feb, 2004

Postby Motion; Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:22 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

Wow! Kaivo is sublime. :clap:
01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101100 01101100 01100101 01100100 00100000 00100010 01000100 01100001 01101001 01110011 01111001 00101110 00100010
User avatar
dformd
KVRist
 
189 posts since 20 Dec, 2008

Postby dformd; Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

demoing; holy fncking hell... wild
User avatar
dformd
KVRist
 
189 posts since 20 Dec, 2008

Postby dformd; Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:40 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

I haven't even explored the presets and already I'm just completely blown away
User avatar
Sendy
KVRAF
 
4417 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:59 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

Will try updating my Acrobat reader.

Have had a tweak with the presets. I can imagine using this solely as an ambience/FX/noise generator. It's got a really unique sound that reminds me of more adventurous eras of electronic music. It takes me into the future of the past... or something :>

Congrats on the release! It's so nice to have something different. Is it possible to load samples?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
kmistove
KVRer
 
21 posts since 30 Dec, 2004

Postby kmistove; Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:41 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

audientronic wrote:
audientronic wrote:First impressions: Great sound but a lot of cpu spikes in Studio One. Especially with the Keys and pads presets. I'm on a 3.4 GHz core i7 imac with 16 gb RAM. :(



Okay... RTFM, I turned up the buffer size which has helped quite a lot. Still have many patches just under 100 percent CPU, though.


There is something up with Studio One and Kaivo. I'm seeing abnormal CPU spikes when changing patches (well over 100%). The patches settle down and then hover just below 100% just as you are seeing.

Loading Kaivo into Reaper is the opposite. I'm rarely above 10% on the CPU.

I suspect the problem is with Studio One. I'll explore some more...

addition - My Reaper findings must be flawed. On the patch "box of chimes" the CPU meter shows around 14% but the sound is really breaking up. Studio One is in the high 90's but the sound rarely crackles. I see the same with various combos of sample rate and bit depth.

I still like what I'm hearing from Kaivo. I think we need to hear what others are experiencing as far as CPU and host issues...
Neon Breath
KVRAF
 
1778 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Postby Neon Breath; Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:40 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

kmistove wrote:
audientronic wrote:
audientronic wrote:First impressions: Great sound but a lot of cpu spikes in Studio One. Especially with the Keys and pads presets. I'm on a 3.4 GHz core i7 imac with 16 gb RAM. :(



Okay... RTFM, I turned up the buffer size which has helped quite a lot. Still have many patches just under 100 percent CPU, though.


There is something up with Studio One and Kaivo. I'm seeing abnormal CPU spikes when changing patches (well over 100%). The patches settle down and then hover just below 100% just as you are seeing.

Loading Kaivo into Reaper is the opposite. I'm rarely above 10% on the CPU.

I suspect the problem is with Studio One. I'll explore some more...

addition - My Reaper findings must be flawed. On the patch "box of chimes" the CPU meter shows around 14% but the sound is really breaking up. Studio One is in the high 90's but the sound rarely crackles. I see the same with various combos of sample rate and bit depth.

I still like what I'm hearing from Kaivo. I think we need to hear what others are experiencing as far as CPU and host issues...


Ableton Live here, and this monster is really greedy. Almost all presets take between 40%-60% of my CPU. First time I'm having that kind of demanding synth… Even the default preset with just a simple sine take 36%-38%, that does't make sense :?

Of course, sounds amazing and I can see the huge creative possibilities, but wow… What a greedy bastard! Might be the reason I'm not gonna get it, but I'll see and try more the demo.
__________________________________________________
http://soundcloud.com/red-fog
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
http://landofthedrones.blogspot.ca
__________________________________________________
blackflag
KVRist
 
143 posts since 21 Sep, 2008

Postby blackflag; Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:11 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

I was really excited to try this synth, but it's using literally 100% cpu on the default preset, without even playing a note. :(

My pc is fairly old, but even Diva hasn't been that demanding..I can usually at least play a 3 note chord before it starts crapping out.
dayjob
KVRian
 
687 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Postby dayjob; Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:24 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

yeah.. default preset is 4 voices. dropping it to 1 voice helps. but it's still a beast.

Aalto started off heavier on the CPU than it currently is. i suspect whenever the first 1.x update comes that it'll have CPU efficiency improvements and continue to get better.

great instrument though. nice manual too. can't wait to get into this.
Neon Breath
KVRAF
 
1778 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Postby Neon Breath; Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:27 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

dayjob wrote:Aalto started off heavier on the CPU than it currently is. i suspect whenever the first 1.x update comes that it'll have CPU efficiency improvements and continue to get better.


Pretty good point actually.
__________________________________________________
http://soundcloud.com/red-fog
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
http://landofthedrones.blogspot.ca
__________________________________________________
User avatar
dformd
KVRist
 
189 posts since 20 Dec, 2008

Postby dformd; Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 pm Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

Going through all the presets in Renoise 2.8; generally a 20-40% cpu hit for me; 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. Still a bloody amazing synth.
Jonathan Shepherd
KVRist
 
152 posts since 28 Jan, 2003

Postby Jonathan Shepherd; Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:32 am Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

Bought. I don't need no stinking demo!
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
19870 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:35 am Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

dformd wrote:Going through all the presets in Renoise 2.8; generally a 20-40% cpu hit for me; 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. Still a bloody amazing synth.


Same CPU as me so hopefully that means I will be able to run it. Not installed yet as it took all evening to download, their server must have been pretty stretched.
User avatar
murnau
KVRAF
 
2696 posts since 13 Jan, 2005, from Deutschland

Postby murnau; Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:44 am Re: Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

Jonathan Shepherd wrote:Bought. I don't need no stinking demo!


leader! :tu: :hihi:
“Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more” ― Nikola Tesla
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments