Fragile Gods - "All That Remains" (new mix on Mar 10)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

davidstiles wrote:It definitely reminds me of the 80s as well, but in a really good way. Shades of Bowie, shades of Depeche Mode, but also unique. A big thumbs up from me! :)
Glad you're hearing some uniqueness along with Bowie and the Mode.

One of these days, I'll sneak in a few contemporary elements into my music. For now, I'm enjoying living in an 80s timewarp. :D

I really appreciate the feedback David and I'm looking forward to your next orchestral piece.

aaron aardvark wrote:Frantz,
Thank you for the recent review! Now your tune: instrumentally reminds me of Depeche Mode at times (a compliment). Vocals are slightly pitchy at times, though they fit the song well. Singing reminds me of Bowie and Trent Reznor at times. Song sounds rather 80's for the most part (fine by me). I like the synths. Nice song! I also own SEM-V & Diva. I suggest trying u-he Zebra if you haven't already done so.
Thanks for the comments Aaron. It looks like Depeche Mode is starting to overtake Thomas Dolby in the comparison count. Bowie + Reznor is a nice combo I think.

Yes, staying on key can be a challenge. I experimented with Melodyne but decided not to use it. Having everything perfectly in tune seemed to take the life out of the vox plus it can add artifacts.

I'm aware of how good Zebra is but still haven't had a chance to use OBXD or Monark on a track yet. I have too many synths and not enough time to explore them properly.

Moe Shinola wrote:Great stuff! Love the vocals. Production sounds very polished. Nice volume, sounds like a radio release to me.
Thanks Moe! I appreciate the listen and the friendly feedback. :)

Listen to this and a bunch at Soundcloud, certainly a style and coherence between them all, cool stuff.

Zombie Queen wrote:I thought the vocals in the chorus part could be less loud and less high-freq and maybe even have more drive, just in less head drilling manner...
Thanks to you and Layzer for pointing this out. I finally uploaded a new mix. The only change was subtle EQ cuts to the vox and arp in the chorus. The chorus should be less head drilling now. :)

Fragile Gods "All That Remains" (new mix)

Fragile Gods "All That Remains" (original mix)

It was interesting testing various EQs this weekend. I settled on DMG Audio's simple but excellent EQuick. DMG also makes the impressive but complex and intimidating EQuilibrium which would be overkill for my basic needs.
Last edited by Frantz on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug1978 wrote:Really great tones Frantz - a spritely leap of a song and a clear, wide mix too.

Nice stuff :)
Doug
Thanks Doug. I appreciate the feedback.

I wonder if you could convince your pals in One Dimension to do a version of this song. :hihi:

polyslax wrote:Awesome dark synth pop Frantz, really enjoyed it! :)
Thanks for checking this out Matt! Yes, dark synthpop is a good description of it.

New mix sounds good to me, but I didn't notice anything really wrong with the original. I was listening through speakers (Rokit 5s and Mission 773s) at reasonable levels. I haven't listened to either using phones.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Nice bass.

I like the chorus best, but the whole thing's enjoyable. Good sound too.
Thanks for the comment D.H. Glad you dug it. :)

ok, i do hear a bit of an improvement, however i tossed it into my mastering chain and was wondering if you would like to hear my mastered version of it. :phones: i think it would be a good learning discussion. :borg:

fun with frantz :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I am really amazed how good this is :)

D.

layzer wrote:ok, i do hear a bit of an improvement, however i tossed it into my mastering chain and was wondering if you would like to hear my mastered version of it. :phones:
Sure. I would love to hear this in LayzerSound®. :)
Last edited by Frantz on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Really reminded me of early Human League (circa Travelogue). Synths sound great. Early Sisters Of Mercy vibe in there too.

wavephonic wrote:I thought the vocal arrangement was cool, the back and forth of the vocal mix. I wish when I'm working on a solo track I could incorporate vox to my stuff without relying on others so I fully appreciate what you've done. I suppose theres nods to other synth styles but its your comp and I enjoyed the sounds and how it was put together, it shows creative arranging.
My vocal skills are limited but I do try to vary the vocal FX and arrangement to at least keep it sounding interesting. Thanks for the listen and nice comment wavephonic!

Frantz wrote:
layzer wrote:ok, i do hear a bit of an improvement, however i tossed it into my mastering chain and was wondering if you would like to hear my mastered version of it. :phones:
Sure. I would love to hear this in LayzerSound®. :)
well here it is...in the dreaded LayzerSound®.... all i tried to do was make the vox sit better in the mix, and balance out the freq spectrum. to my ears it was fairly piercing in the HFs...

very different sounding. i know....as always very sobjective to personal taste! :scared:

https://app.box.com/s/5old97bs2y1psj1ujv0a
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”