Madrona Labs New Instrument "Kaivo"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kaivo

paradiddle wrote:You need to download the presets and wavefiles installer. It's right under the kaivo demo.
Oh, thanks... didn't occur to me that there would be two downloads needed

It is pretty heavy on cpu... I have a 2.8ghz i7 quad and with 48k and a buffer of 512 I start to get cpu crackles at 5-6 notes... 4 notes seems safe so far

One preset sits at 67% (4 notes) and that is the same whether I play a note or not. This is definitely a bounce every instance to audio kind of synth.

The sound is excellent. Especially on some of the string type sounds the low end is exceptional.

Wow! Kaivo is sublime. :clap:
01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101100 01101100 01100101 01100100 00100000 00100010 01000100 01100001 01101001 01110011 01111001 00101110 00100010

demoing; holy fncking hell... wild

I haven't even explored the presets and already I'm just completely blown away

Will try updating my Acrobat reader.

Have had a tweak with the presets. I can imagine using this solely as an ambience/FX/noise generator. It's got a really unique sound that reminds me of more adventurous eras of electronic music. It takes me into the future of the past... or something :>

Congrats on the release! It's so nice to have something different. Is it possible to load samples?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

audientronic wrote:
audientronic wrote:First impressions: Great sound but a lot of cpu spikes in Studio One. Especially with the Keys and pads presets. I'm on a 3.4 GHz core i7 imac with 16 gb RAM. :(

Okay... RTFM, I turned up the buffer size which has helped quite a lot. Still have many patches just under 100 percent CPU, though.
There is something up with Studio One and Kaivo. I'm seeing abnormal CPU spikes when changing patches (well over 100%). The patches settle down and then hover just below 100% just as you are seeing.

Loading Kaivo into Reaper is the opposite. I'm rarely above 10% on the CPU.

I suspect the problem is with Studio One. I'll explore some more...

addition - My Reaper findings must be flawed. On the patch "box of chimes" the CPU meter shows around 14% but the sound is really breaking up. Studio One is in the high 90's but the sound rarely crackles. I see the same with various combos of sample rate and bit depth.

I still like what I'm hearing from Kaivo. I think we need to hear what others are experiencing as far as CPU and host issues...

kmistove wrote:
audientronic wrote:
audientronic wrote:First impressions: Great sound but a lot of cpu spikes in Studio One. Especially with the Keys and pads presets. I'm on a 3.4 GHz core i7 imac with 16 gb RAM. :(

Okay... RTFM, I turned up the buffer size which has helped quite a lot. Still have many patches just under 100 percent CPU, though.
There is something up with Studio One and Kaivo. I'm seeing abnormal CPU spikes when changing patches (well over 100%). The patches settle down and then hover just below 100% just as you are seeing.

Loading Kaivo into Reaper is the opposite. I'm rarely above 10% on the CPU.

I suspect the problem is with Studio One. I'll explore some more...

addition - My Reaper findings must be flawed. On the patch "box of chimes" the CPU meter shows around 14% but the sound is really breaking up. Studio One is in the high 90's but the sound rarely crackles. I see the same with various combos of sample rate and bit depth.

I still like what I'm hearing from Kaivo. I think we need to hear what others are experiencing as far as CPU and host issues...
Ableton Live here, and this monster is really greedy. Almost all presets take between 40%-60% of my CPU. First time I'm having that kind of demanding synth… Even the default preset with just a simple sine take 36%-38%, that does't make sense :?

Of course, sounds amazing and I can see the huge creative possibilities, but wow… What a greedy bastard! Might be the reason I'm not gonna get it, but I'll see and try more the demo.

I was really excited to try this synth, but it's using literally 100% cpu on the default preset, without even playing a note. :(

My pc is fairly old, but even Diva hasn't been that demanding..I can usually at least play a 3 note chord before it starts crapping out.

yeah.. default preset is 4 voices. dropping it to 1 voice helps. but it's still a beast.

Aalto started off heavier on the CPU than it currently is. i suspect whenever the first 1.x update comes that it'll have CPU efficiency improvements and continue to get better.

great instrument though. nice manual too. can't wait to get into this.

dayjob wrote: Aalto started off heavier on the CPU than it currently is. i suspect whenever the first 1.x update comes that it'll have CPU efficiency improvements and continue to get better.
Pretty good point actually.

Going through all the presets in Renoise 2.8; generally a 20-40% cpu hit for me; 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. Still a bloody amazing synth.

Bought. I don't need no stinking demo!

dformd wrote:Going through all the presets in Renoise 2.8; generally a 20-40% cpu hit for me; 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. Still a bloody amazing synth.
Same CPU as me so hopefully that means I will be able to run it. Not installed yet as it took all evening to download, their server must have been pretty stretched.

Jonathan Shepherd wrote:Bought. I don't need no stinking demo!
leader! :tu: :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Instruments”