Fundamental questions regarding to Kick and Bass

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not that into electronic music but I really like some goa tracks. There are some really nice melodies and musicality in them.

Chi-A.D. - Eye Am The I . HQ - YouTube for example

First thing I would like to hear about is kick's fundamental note, it's frequency.
Let's say I'm in the key of G and it would be totally logical if my kick would hit in the first G fundamental note. Right?

Other thing is if my kick's notes will change regarding to bass' chord progression or other elements'? I mean let's say I have a chord progression on bass CCC AAA FFF GG? My kick should go CCCCCCCCCCC or identical to bass? Would it be rewarding if i kept my kick at let's say fifth of the chord's fundamental note?

Trying this in a daw isn't that hard but what I'm curious is what is going to be in the end product? Since I don't know any acoustics and neither finished a track it's hard for me to grasp.

Kick is preffered Mono. But bass? Eye am the I's bass isn't boring and a highlighting part of the song so shouldn't i prefer bass to be stereo? What's the point of choosing between mono and stereo? Or i should say use.

And why do people talk about only kick and bass? In track rhytm or percussion is made with kick, snare, hat, tomb and clap? Why is it always comes down to kick and bass, and we use the side-chain for that? Is it solely because kick makes us feel the rhytm and the bass is the most obstacle in low frequencies that overrides the kick?

Sounds about right. Either one (or any frequency) works as long as it sounds good!
A lot of producers use the same kick for tracks in different keys.
Most of the time the fundamental will work out for you.
Break the mold and use different kicks for different sections.

The kick in dance music is your #1 priority (for 4/4 tunes) because it's the most frequently used sound in the song. A lot of DJs these days mix by key and you'll get phasing issues if your kick doesn't mesh with the next track.

Tracks need mono compatibility because most clubs have mono sound systems. If you aren't into dance music, I assume you don't go clubbing a lot? You will hear other instruments but the kick and bass you'll really feel. Just my two cents.

Cool track, thanks for sharing :)

Bass in stereo is usually done with some kind of stereo-izing process on the upper harmonics of the bass only. The lowest frequencies are left mono for translation.

camsr wrote:Bass in stereo is usually done with some kind of stereo-izing process on the upper harmonics of the bass only. The lowest frequencies are left mono for translation.
+1

Been playing with Boz Digital's MonoBass recently. Really cool plugin for dealing with that seperation.

Thank you all for your help. I will try to make best of them.

And Isn't creating two seperate instrument which frequencies are seperated by say above and below 400 a solution for this? Would it cause harmonic problems?

Return to “Production Techniques”