Voxengo Elephant 4.0 mastering limiter plugin released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elephant

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
themossinator wrote:In Elephant 3 you used to be able to dial the Input Gain whilst right clicking - this would simultaneously reduce the Output gain - cant seem to get this to work in Elephant 4???
This feature was removed, because you can now use EVAL to perform comparison at the same loudness level. This mode uses equal loudness contour filtering for 80 dB SPL.
Is this a static change in level, based on the input gain settings, or does it dynamically adapt the output depending on the input level? If I use the limiter to clip the snare for example, but I want the apparent level to stay the same, can I just leave the EVAL button on without having to worry about it making volume rides when the dynamics change?

Happy user of the Elephant over here too.
Did anyone compare it to the Flux Pure Limiter V3? The Flux is said to be very transparent too. I'd also be very interested to hear what Aleksey thinks about the Flux compared to the Elephant?

Eleventh wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
themossinator wrote:In Elephant 3 you used to be able to dial the Input Gain whilst right clicking - this would simultaneously reduce the Output gain - cant seem to get this to work in Elephant 4???
This feature was removed, because you can now use EVAL to perform comparison at the same loudness level. This mode uses equal loudness contour filtering for 80 dB SPL.
Is this a static change in level, based on the input gain settings, or does it dynamically adapt the output depending on the input level? If I use the limiter to clip the snare for example, but I want the apparent level to stay the same, can I just leave the EVAL button on without having to worry about it making volume rides when the dynamics change?
It does keep the same output level as the input, but this loudness tracking is not intended for constant use, because it has a fixed setting and may not be useful for every material. The "EVAL" is designed to evaluate the change in material's dynamics applied by the limiting.

joeyburns wrote: Did anyone compare it to the Flux Pure Limiter V3? The Flux is said to be very transparent too.
Yes and to Flux Elixir, as well as Flux Pure Limiter.
The new EL-4 algo is very transparent.
These are all very good limiters we are taking about if you want transparent.

Right now I'm favouring Elephant, but it took a bit more tweaking than either of the Flux offerings. It was worth the tweaking though for me.

Many great limiters on the market now.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: It does keep the same output level as the input, but this loudness tracking is not intended for constant use, because it has a fixed setting and may not be useful for every material. The "EVAL" is designed to evaluate the change in material's dynamics applied by the limiting.
Would it be possible to reinstate the right-drag gain compensation then, as it would be a desired feature when using Elephant as a limiter/clipper on single tracks.

Dragging is always preferable with faders than with knobs. Imagine how akward the Sonalksis Free G would feel with a knob substituted for the volume fader.
http://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.htm

Elephant could use a major GUI overhaul.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:Dragging is always preferable with faders than with knobs. Imagine how akward the Sonalksis Free G would feel with a knob substituted for the volume fader.
http://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.htm

Elephant could use a major GUI overhaul.
With all due respect, this is not a common request among registered users. I guess, there is practically a marginal difference between Voxengo knobs and faders since knobs technically behave as faders - you drag them up and down (circular adjustment is possible, but is not used frequently and is disabled by default).

Faders take precious screen space.

And you again not giving attention to the fact that In/Thresh level meter in Elephant4 is a fader.

Eleventh wrote:Would it be possible to reinstate the right-drag gain compensation then, as it would be a desired feature when using Elephant as a limiter/clipper on single tracks.
I'll analyze if this is possible. Knobs have different linearity: output gain knob is non-linear.

Elephant GUI is almost perfect for me. Only thing I'd like would be a way to turn off the unused features (DC Filter, Dither, Meters), if not wanted.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:I'll analyze if this is possible. Knobs have different linearity: output gain knob is non-linear.
Thank you!

PS. I prefer the knobs rather than faders. I like the minimal approach. Besides my eyes are on the meters (or closed) anyway, when I make adjustments. :P

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
cool, ill check this out, thanks...

I like sonnox more.

mikedw wrote:I like sonnox more.
elaborate. Elephant's aim is uncolored brickwall limiting and the new V4 algorithm is at the top of the competitive heap.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

mikedw wrote:I like sonnox more.
Apples and oranges. The Sonnox has a very specific and defined sound. If you need that sound, it's the perfect limiter for you. If you need something more transparent, Elephant would be better. Personally, I find uses for both.

Hi Aleksey,
after reading this thread I think it would be great if you add more presets to elephant. Maybe genre specific, like rock, pop, edm..... . All as a starting point.

Thanks and greets

Marek

Return to “Effects”