What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist

440 posts since 11 Jul, 2006, from Fayetteville, GA

Postby MachFront; Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:50 pm Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

I got PayPal 'receipt' email a while ago. Of course I've bought nothing. Moments later an email from PayPal that they noticed suspicious activity, etc.

(Yes, a checked and double-checked to make sure everything in the email looked legit.)

I went to PayPal and signed in, changed my password and security questions.
I confirmed my identity and they gave me the automatic phone call and I entered the confirmation number.

I went to the Resolution Center to dispute the transaction.

I got to what I'd assume would be the end and the transaction number was already filled in.
But....
It said to click Continue if you DON'T have a transaction number, or Cancel if you wish to dispute some other transaction type.

One would think there would be some 'confirm' button or something.

I also added the transaction number concerning the transference of funds from my credit card to my PayPal acc't (the person grabbed money from my bank acc't, put it into my PayPal, then bought some internet...something...in Great Britain. I live in the States.).

Of COURSE PayPal doesn't have a 24 hour service line, so I'll not sleep a wink. My nerves are rattled and I'm angry and I'm not sure if the info for the claim dispute has 'stuck' (as there's no manner of 'confirm' button, etc. as I said).

Anyone have any experience with this, etc.?

AARRGGHH!!! :cry: :evil:
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos
KVRAF

3172 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Postby kmonkey; Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

Uh...i can't help but imho more important question (which you avoided) should be: how anyone managed to get in to your credentials in the first place?

Sorry i can't escape feeling that Paypal actually isn't a problem here, it's your internet behavior or something. You know it's not that usual and often that someone is able to break in to your account.

Like i said it is not helping and this is not critic response, i am just baffled..no disrespect intended. I think that problem is somewhere in your process that's all.
KVRist

Postby MachFront; Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

It may have sprung from the whole Target thing.
I was pretty sure the one time I went to Target and used my debit card that it was before the whole time that all that info was being stolen... also, when I tried I had insufficient funds so the transaction didn't 'happen' so I (very foolishly it appears) figured I was in the clear in regards to my info being taken.
Duh.
So...here we are.

Or did they grab my PayPal info somehow from somewhere? I don't know. I'm not willy-nilly online. I have a bad habit of using the same password for unimportant things like forums but that's it.

I''ve already called my bank and reported it. I'll be going to the local branch tomorrow to get a new card and number, etc.
Of course, in the meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering if they're going to grab more money, etc.
Also, I'm still very irritated by how it seems I cannot complete the dispute ...or have I?
As I said there are only two choices once you've entered the transaction number(s):
Click Continue if you don't have the numbers or Cancel if you want to dispute something different.
Guh???

And I can't call PayPal and ask someone if the info has been entered, etc. until tomorrow.
KVRAF

2619 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:59 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

Don't use PayPal - it is definitely not secure.
KVRAF

8964 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:01 am Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

What I use is only temporary linkage with bank account, no personally identifying information beyond the bare minimum. I link up the bank account when I need to withdraw, then unlink immediately afterward. I keep no more than a few hundred in the account, pretty much the same as a wallet with risk of dropping it somewhere.

I use only credit-card as a source of funds as you can then use the credit company's support to deal with these issues and paypal can suck one.

You also have the protection from the system tracking your habits. For example I've never once used over a certain amount via pay-pal, this is a tiny fraction of my available credit. If there were a sudden transaction out of the range of my usual amounts the transaction would fail and the card would be locked.

(Actually the credit company has this protection. They're liable up to the full available credit so it is in their best interest to immediately catch and stop any fraudulent transactions. People often complain when they need to call in to reauthorize the cards, but this limits their liability and thus almost entirely eliminates yours.)

I think financially if you're making decisions that seem excessively paranoid and obsessive, you're on the right track.
KVRAF

3468 posts since 20 Oct, 2001, from my bolthole in the south pacific

Postby egbert; Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:49 am Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

The conventional wisdom seems to be that it is better to use Paypal than to put your financial info on every site you deal with - some of which will inevitably be hacked at some point.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle
KVRist

Postby MachFront; Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:43 am Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

So obviously I couldn't clearly think last night...

They didn't take money out of my bank acc't, put it into my PayPal and then use some of it to buy the item.
They simply bought the item. Period.
I confused the currency exchange of USD to GBP as something else. Derp.

No way it seems to talk to a real live person on the PayPal help line but the automated info given was enough. It's already under review and could take up to 30 days (!!!). Yuk. Ah, well. Live and learn, right?

But learn what? I'm still uncertain what they had access to. Just my PayPal? How I wonder? Could that info been gleaned simply from the card info taken in the Target hack?
Simply a hack into my PayPal by whatever means?

What's funny (to me) is that the person who bought the item (well, not necessarily the person who bought it) would leave a full shipping address for the item and include in the 'note' the key code to get into the back door or whatever it was... So odd. (it said something like: "back door code: 6737" or some such) :shrug:

Well, I'm off to my bank to have them nuke my old card from orbit.
KVRist

Postby MachFront; Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:03 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

Everything handled on the bank side.

Boy... well, then... That's the last time I try to buy a Russian bride online lemme tell ya!
KVRian

564 posts since 30 Dec, 2004

Postby masterhiggins; Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

As far as I know they stole debit card info, names, email addresses, and phone numbers. You need more than that to hack into a paypal account. To reset a paypal password you have to go through email verification so unless your password is in your email address then it's probably not from the target breach. I'm guessing your email account was probably hacked.

-sam
KVRist

Postby MachFront; Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

That's very interesting because the PayPal password I was using until I changed it last night was a variation of a password I once used on my email a few years back.
That was pretty dim of me...even a variation of a former one.
Call it a learning experience. ...or...call me an idiot. Whichever. :)
KVRAF

2831 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:40 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

Haven't had any problems with Paypal in a long time. Luckily I don't have any credit or debit cards associated with my PP account, I always charge it via wire transfer, which is safe. The bank site asks me three random numbers from the security matrix on a physical card they gave me. And for anything above 50 euros an additional confirmation per text message is required.
KVRAF

8872 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm SUBJECT IS TOO LONG... :-X

Paypal is much safer than credit cards. In most cases the credit card account is hacked, not Paypal...

Furthermore, I'm one of these crazy oldskool guys who always pay in every shop or supermarket with hard cash, I wouldn't use any card...
KVRAF

Postby aciddose; Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:16 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

Paypal isn't safer than credit cards, paypal does not have a zero-liability policy and does not offer 24/7 support.

Paypal is needed for high risk, low value transactions to hide personal information from the merchant.

When you're dealing in larger amounts the idea that you'd want to hide from the merchant is often ridiculous. In fact it is extremely beneficial to both parties to maintain records.

Paypal is a reasonable medium for dealing with untrusted merchants, at best.
KVRAF

2831 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:19 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

Usually the personal information is not hidden, it seems to vary from transaction to transaction. Sometimes for instance I can hide my address, sometimes not. Since one can't open a PP account anonymously I think even wire transfers reveal less information.
KVRAF

Postby aciddose; Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:25 pm Re: Gah! Someone took my money and tried to buy something w/ my PayPal. Can't finish dispute claim?

Well, wire transfers are entirely insecure. You have the account information for the destination, but there is no fraud protection. You'd have to end up in court to handle wire transfer related disputes if you can't reach a settlement on your own.

The important "personal information" is hidden because paypal does not have access to it, period. If you've given them access, that's that.

There is a very good reason credit companies have policies like a registered business operating for no less than two years with revenues no less than X over a period of Y, transaction fees and record keeping requirements. This is to establish trust. Anybody can set up a paypal account. Anybody.
Last edited by aciddose on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic