Kontakt best alternative?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Kontakt Best Alternative?

Plogue sforzando
13%
SampleTank
6%
ImageLine DirectWave
5%
Simple Plain Universal Sfz
8%
HighLife
1%
Shortcircuit
5%
ZamplerRX
1%
Wusikstation
3%
TX16Wx
11%
Sonic Charge Cyclone
No votes
CMPlay
No votes
motu mach5
11%
SF2
4%
Halion
13%
Alchemy
14%
Maize Sampler VSTi
6%

Total votes: 139

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll release my next multi-sampled instruments library on a Kontakt alternative, but which ones is the best in your opinion?

Bear in mind that my libraries are simple and lightweight. I want to focus on a more oldschool way of sampling and I plan to sample mostly old synthesizers from the eighties as well as acoustic sound effects.

That being said, feel free to answer in a general manner. This pool could serve as an indication of what is wanted for other sound developers.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by SampleScience on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

None of those for sure - only interested in Kontakt

Based on download numbers, I'd suggest going VSTi and doing both 32 and 64 bit versions. Even a fairly crap Maize VSTi seemed to draw lots of interest. Sfz was moderate and Sampletank fairly low.

Engine?

you should consider to add motu mach5 to the list as well. tho, i'm not sure how popular it is.

as kontakt alternatives, i would use sf2/sfz if no heavy scripting needed, because these formats are popular and can be loaded into anything.

You're missing MF3. Even though it's iLok, it's currently the best alternative to Kontakt.

For me (as a beginner in digital music) a software for 400 Euro that uses proprietary file formats will never be an alternative. That's my opinion. And that's why I bought Wusik's products and some others without hesitation. So far, I feel confident with my decision.

@EvilDragon: may I ask what is MF3?

Halion, MachFive or Alchemy - none of which are listed for some reason.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mf3=motu machfive v3 :)

Halion.
It's not in the list, but it's the one i'd choose :)

If you use SFZ or SoundFont, most half-decent samplers will at least import it.

SampleScience wrote:Bear in mind that my libraries are simple and lightweight. I want to focus on a more oldschool way of sampling and I plan to sample mostly old synthesizers from the eighties as well as acoustic sound effects.
i think the thread-title is a bit ambiguous. i comment on what i qoute from your original post: go with plain .sfz and/or the free sforzando (Tx16 can also read it). halion and mach are to powerful and need dongle, wouldn't be my first choice for "simple & lightweigt oldschool sampling". i think you will reach as much customers as you can. :wink:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Yep, thread title is misleading...
+1 for sfz, it is also good in Alchemy as extra 'oscillator'.

The best alternative to Kontakt for your libraries is sfz.
The best alternative to Kontakt is MOTU MachFive 3.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

SampleScience wrote:I'll release my next multi-sampled instruments library on a Kontakt alternative, but which ones is the best in your opinion?
Can I ask you why? I guess that your Kontakt users would be pissed off to move to another sampler or format. What's the reason?
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”