Kontakt best alternative?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Kontakt Best Alternative?

Plogue sforzando
13%
SampleTank
6%
ImageLine DirectWave
5%
Simple Plain Universal Sfz
8%
HighLife
1%
Shortcircuit
5%
ZamplerRX
1%
Wusikstation
3%
TX16Wx
11%
Sonic Charge Cyclone
No votes
CMPlay
No votes
motu mach5
11%
SF2
4%
Halion
13%
Alchemy
14%
Maize Sampler VSTi
6%

Total votes: 139

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Timman wrote:
SampleScience wrote:I'll release my next multi-sampled instruments library on a Kontakt alternative, but which ones is the best in your opinion?
Can I ask you why? I guess that your Kontakt users would be pissed off to move to another sampler or format. What's the reason?
It's not a business decision, I just don't like Kontakt, I don't use it. I'll probably just sell it in the market place. Just to give you an idea, I've used Wusikstation in almost every track I produced since I've bought it in 2011. Kontakt gets barely used at all (except for my audio demo showcasing my Kontakt libraries).

aMUSEd wrote:Halion, MachFive or Alchemy - none of which are listed for some reason.
Added! :)

murnau wrote:
SampleScience wrote:Bear in mind that my libraries are simple and lightweight. I want to focus on a more oldschool way of sampling and I plan to sample mostly old synthesizers from the eighties as well as acoustic sound effects.
i think the thread-title is a bit ambiguous. i comment on what i qoute from your original post: go with plain .sfz and/or the free sforzando (Tx16 can also read it). halion and mach are to powerful and need dongle, wouldn't be my first choice for "simple & lightweigt oldschool sampling". i think you will reach as much customers as you can. :wink:
You're right. But simple instruments can be made in complex software, if the software in question is done well enough to make it easy to go the simple way. Wusikstation is a good example, powerful yet easy. The sample mapper needs to be improved tough...

I consider Kontakt a great tool for those who need to use big sample libraries [not me], but as a simple sampler and sample mangler I find it too fiddly and just *too much*, so I use ShortCircuit. It's so simple, quick to work with and so powerful with all the different filters and FX. Working with it reminds me of working with a real hardware sampler. It's especially handy if you like to use lots of different samples, or like to make synth sounds from samples. I use it both for drums and synth sounds, but more for drums.

It's also so easy to install it and just use it... no installation, just put it in the VST folder and off you go. :party: :love:

Speaking of sample libraries, yeah - it's best to release it for Kontakt because it's so popular. In my world, we don't need sample libraries... :hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

You may want to add the free UVI Workstation as well.

audientronic wrote:You may want to add the free UVI Workstation as well.
...same thing as MF3, except for UVI Workstation you must pay licencing fee, just like you need to do for Kontakt Player.

EvilDragon wrote:
...same thing as MF3, except for UVI Workstation you must pay licencing fee, just like you need to do for Kontakt Player.
Yes, but if we are listing free samplers for users...

EvilDragon wrote:
...almost, the UVI workstation lacks the IRCAM Stretch-mode.

audientronic wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Not quite free for developers... :P

EvilDragon wrote:
audientronic wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
Not quite free for developers... :P
Well, I won't vote for it then out of support. :D

Still confused on why not go VSTi. I suspect the biggest problem is going to be if people have to acquire a new piece of software or even dust off a piece they never use. Are they will to do that for your instrument? I mean how many people have Zampler, TX16Wx, Imageline Directwave or Wusik lying around ready to be used? Your effort won't match up to sales on these platforms. Its like releasing a C64 game, today.

@SampleScience

was the poll resetted as you add the others? i'm pretty sure it was more then 1 vote for sforzando.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:@SampleScience

was the poll resetted as you add the others? i'm pretty sure it was more then 1 vote for sforzando.
For reasons I am not aware of, each time I update the poll all the votes disappears! :cry: So I won't update the poll anymore. If you have already voted people, please take the time to re-vote... :dog:

bigcat1969 wrote:Still confused on why not go VSTi. I suspect the biggest problem is going to be if people have to acquire a new piece of software or even dust off a piece they never use. Are they will to do that for your instrument? I mean how many people have Zampler, TX16Wx, Imageline Directwave or Wusik lying around ready to be used? Your effort won't match up to sales on these platforms. Its like releasing a C64 game, today.
Added the Maize Sampler options. I'm really digging the concept of Maize so it may be the route I'll take for future instruments. The only thing I don't know is if I can make a preset systems with various sample sets in the same VST? So I'd have a couple of sample sets and various presets using them in various ways. I'll check their website...

Well, this second time I voted "Plain Simple SFZ" because SFZ sample library can be loaded in so many different samplers and sample players. Releasing a sample library as SFZ is not at all a bad idea. And I can load it in ShortCircuit and SFZ, too. I think SFZ is the best alternative to Kontakt format. SFZ is actually better covered with VSTi's that can use it than Kontakt format and good old SFZ is a great quality sample player.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”