mixed bag of miltz (FAWM stuff)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Didn't make it to 14. The stuff with vocals isn't good, but I'll put it here anyway. The other stuff's okay.

This one's my favorite (the other ones I'll put in the next post):

Self-immolation Prevention Program
Acoustic guitar and saz, mostly bowed with either a stainless steel backscratcher or a slide.

Recorded a bunch of stuff, cut it up in Audacity, put some of the saved bits in ShortCircuit, played that via midi keyboard (also some mousework).
No longer a moderator.

The Buried Sky
Salvage work. Took some bits from a failed idea, put them through DtBlkFx (mostly; also Boids, I think), put those wavs in ShortCircuit, and played/triggered them with my midi keyboard. Also played wavs of shortwave noises I'd recorded.

Petting Zoo
lyrics

Dead TV No. 1
Put a contact microphone on a dead television, hit the TV with various things (knuckles, pencil, stapler), edited and cut up the results in Audacity, put those results in ShortCircuit (in MU.LAB), played some stuff via midi keyboard (and edited by mouse a little). A lot of reverb. ReverbS, I should say.

Night Walk, 1982
Contact mic on a kid's guitar (plucking, hitting, etc) + RP-Delay for the underlying loop thing, then I added guitars, a little piano, and some Hollow Sun Cronk-O-Tron.

I Killed the Devil Tonight
lyrics

Cunabula
Saz, kid's guitar with the two highest strings tuned very low, komuz, Kyrgyz flute-type thing, mouth harp, percussion.

Process: Recorded percussion (coffee can bottoms hung from a hanger, soup cans, shaker, homemade drum, etc) improvisation. Then improvised over that on something else, then over both those on something else, and so on. Five tracks. Then removed the worst of it and cut together the parts that, to my ear, worked. Some further muting of iffy bits and some volume automation.

It's a bit daffy, but I kind of like it.

Hello and welcome to the incident
First part: A wav generated by Cecilia5 (first time trying it; crashy for me but seems very cool) and, very quietly, that same wav further processed in Cecilia5, loaded into HGS Phase Shifter and played/triggered via midi keyboard. Also features recordings of: summer night noises, some young women who decided to have a loud discussion/argument right outside my window over the summer (more of that in part two).

Second part: Drums, bass, Telecaster, SampleTron, snippets of argument.

Deathbird Pie
Sloppy folk fingerpicking. Semi-improvised.

Crash
lyrics

Cured of Possibility
Droney ambienty thing made by taking a folky thing I was failing at and got tired of and running it through a Reverberate LE with non-IR wavs as IRs, plus delay and distortion, then more reverbs.
No longer a moderator.

Petting Zoo is a great song with bleak lyrics. Love that instrumental break. I will check out some more tracks soon.

S.I.P.P is my favourite too, but only because I haven't heard the others yet. I loved the sounds that you managed to coax from the guitar and saz. That harmonic-laden drone towards the end was great. Good to hear the backscratcher in action again.

Good work :)

Frantz wrote:Petting Zoo is a great song with bleak lyrics. Love that instrumental break. I will check out some more tracks soon.
Thanks, Frantz. I might rerecord that one at some point.
seismic1 wrote:S.I.P.P is my favourite too, but only because I haven't heard the others yet. I loved the sounds that you managed to coax from the guitar and saz. That harmonic-laden drone towards the end was great. Good to hear the backscratcher in action again.

Thanks, seismic1.
No longer a moderator.

'buried sky' and 'incident' stood out for me ...
your production values remain admirably high ...

Crash is another very good song with dark, interesting lyrics.

In general, I find the production on this material a little too lo-fi for my tastes but I guess you are going for unique textures rather than polished sounds.

EDIT: After writing that I realized you were trying to do 14 songs in 28 days. There was no time to worry about production or sound quality.
Last edited by Frantz on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

thanks for the bag !:)
checking today.

cool stuff.. interesting compositions, moods and soundscapes.. good job

Hey, nice set DHM!

Lots of great stuff here, some semi-random highlights for me:

SIPP - haunting, melancholy, beautiful, love the reverses and the dronish sounds
TBS - very cool, the thrum of industry under the sheen of strings
PZ - you getting falsetto? is that a first? I like it. the guitar solo is great.
DTVN1 - lovely percs
Cunabula - amazing found sound vibe and love the flute
Hello - sweet intro, very gentle, really like the guitar
Deathbird - really nice guitar
Crash - love the lyrics
Cured - nice atmosphere

Thanks for sharing that big mess 'o' miltz, really enjoyed it!
Image Image

I just played "The Buried Sky". It sounds like some sort of unearthly buskers orchestra, recorded on the Northern or Metropolitan line. Interesting FX chain. Very enjoyable.

Thanks for having a listen, everyone.
No longer a moderator.

I just played a few more of these tracks tonight, but I have to say that "incident" is certainly a standout for me. Great sounds in both parts. I think we have heard from those women before. Nice drum sound on there too.

s i p p was a eriely delicious, the atmosphere created made me think of an old abandoned house in the woods. good stuff sir!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

love the "Hello and welcome to the incident" very interesting sound, amazing production quality.

Return to “Music Cafe”