Why do people even buy Samplitude?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Samplitude Music Studio X8 Samplitude Pro X

I'm confused, doesn't Samp Pro X have folder tracks? I dont use them but I am pretty sure it's there
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Yes Samp does have folder tracks but we were talking folders for the mixer channels like here:

Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Kraznet wrote:Yes Samp does have folder tracks but we were talking folders for the mixer channels like here:

ah yes, that indeed would be a great feature, scrolling across Samps awesome mixer does get old, thanx for clarifying this :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Melodyshine, thanks- I'll check out that bug.

So that's what "folder tracks" are, very nice.

lfm wrote:
Mixer view is excellent with overview of plugins and sends, pretty much like Reaper does it. Studio One is horrible in this sense, and quickly become cluttered.

They did not hold back on much compared to ProX as far as I can see.

Just this Waves Element that is nagging me - why did they not fix this being known for a year.
I demoed it for about one hour yesterday. I might continue today to see what benefits it can bring me.

It can be a complete solution from beginning (composing) to end (mastering). I think it is a great value for the money. I'm not sure how the plugins compared to the Pro X, but I agree it doesn't miss something essential.

I like a lot the mixer. It is a great mixer indeed. Over all it is like I imagined, great for audio mixing work and functional for midi composing. It has a steep learning curve though if I want to master it, but in the meantime I still can have the expected results from it.

The audio engine is smooth and there is no any problem with my mini test, although it pops up with a message saying that the recorded midi has 39 errors and that I need to change the buffer size of the Asio ...etc, but the recorded playback was fine!

For me, I don't think I will switch from Live. I'm getting faster in the workflow in Live, and began to learn shortcuts ..etc. However, it might replace Sonar (poor Sonar, always under the hammer!). I don't know, I think I have higher priorities for shopping now ;-)

EnGee wrote:
lfm wrote:
Mixer view is excellent with overview of plugins and sends, pretty much like Reaper does it. Studio One is horrible in this sense, and quickly become cluttered.

Just this Waves Element that is nagging me - why did they not fix this being known for a year.
I demoed it for about one hour yesterday. I might continue today to see what benefits it can bring me.

It can be a complete solution from beginning (composing) to end (mastering). I think it is a great value for the money. I'm not sure how the plugins compared to the Pro X, but I agree it doesn't miss something essential.

I like a lot the mixer. It is a great mixer indeed. Over all it is like I imagined, great for audio mixing work and functional for midi composing. It has a steep learning curve though if I want to master it, but in the meantime I still can have the expected results from it.

The audio engine is smooth and there is no any problem with my mini test, although it pops up with a message saying that the recorded midi has 39 errors and that I need to change the buffer size of the Asio ...etc, but the recorded playback was fine!

For me, I don't think I will switch from Live. I'm getting faster in the workflow in Live, and began to learn shortcuts ..etc. However, it might replace Sonar (poor Sonar, always under the hammer!). I don't know, I think I have higher priorities for shopping now ;-)

Why do you use Sonar as your second daw anyway? I'm using Live and only the thing it lacks is audio editing, multi-track piano roll view and unable to save your midi logs. Perhaps post-production: mixing and mastering?

I'm trying it and I have a basic problem in Samplitude. When I'm playing piano through a midi keyboard with 64 buffer size in Live I don't get any lost buffer errors or glitches. But Samplitude keeps displaying Lost Asio Buffer and it constantly rises.

And what are the DSP and MAX percentages on the left bottom panel?

And is it possible my onboard sound card can't handle 90khz audio instead of 44? When is switch to 90k in order to reduce latency I playback sounds changes.

mewthree wrote:
EnGee wrote:
lfm wrote:

Why do you use Sonar as your second daw anyway? I'm using Live and only the thing it lacks is audio editing, multi-track piano roll view and unable to save your midi logs. Perhaps post-production: mixing and mastering?

I'm trying it and I have a basic problem in Samplitude. When I'm playing piano through a midi keyboard with 64 buffer size in Live I don't get any lost buffer errors or glitches. But Samplitude keeps displaying Lost Asio Buffer and it constantly rises.

And what are the DSP and MAX percentages on the left bottom panel?

And is it possible my onboard sound card can't handle 90khz audio instead of 44? When is switch to 90k in order to reduce latency I playback sounds changes.
If you're using an onboard card there is your problem with LABs, you really need a 'real' soundcard. Your question about the percentages actually answers your question about LABs. Live and Samplitude are designed for two different purposes. Samplitude is not a host for performing live like live is, it's used for pretty much recording, mixing and mastering and of course audio editing. In fact on the samp forums there are a lot of people who use Samplitude/Sequoia for audio production for movies, tv, videos (in fact samp has a video track, you cannot edit video in it...it is there as a reference when working on audio for video).

What you are seeing is how much CPU is being used for DSP (digital signal processing) and the maximum cpu usage Samp is using. TBH I ignore them, my i7 is a beast and latency is not an issue for me because like most people my soundcards (Presonus Firestudio 26/26 and a Firestudio Project) have direct monitoring. (one reason you need a decent soundcard.

I can only lower latency through decreasing buffer size on ASIO drivers and increasing sample rate to 90k right?

The things is I'm not really performing. I have just one track open when the playback is off I can play the instrument without glitches. But when i press the play button to record or the play the metronome (not even a wave file is there) same good instruments starts glitching. Is this normal? And these glitches happen in 44k not in 90 which I only use for lower latencies. I think it should count as recording too. I mean technically I'm recording my midi through a VST right? The thing is same doesn't happen in Live, and it's not a CPU exclusive job. Only happens when I press playback even if nothing but metronome is there.

mewthree wrote:I can only lower latency through decreasing buffer size on ASIO drivers and increasing sample rate to 90k right?

The things is I'm not really performing. I have just one track open when the playback is off I can play the instrument without glitches. But when i press the play button to record or the play the metronome (not even a wave file is there) same good instruments starts glitching. Is this normal? And these glitches happen in 44k not in 90 which I only use for lower latencies. I think it should count as recording too. I mean technically I'm recording my midi through a VST right? The thing is same doesn't happen in Live, and it's not a CPU exclusive job. Only happens when I press playback even if nothing but metronome is there.

First it's 96K not 90K and once again it's your soundcard, are you using ASIO drivers? Most stock cards do not have ASIO drivers so if you are using a stock card you would have to use an app called ASIO4ALL. ASIO is a must for audio work...so yes if you are using a stock card the behavior you are describing is normal and that's why we use ASIO drivers :)

I have just dug out an upgrade I got to Samp 11 recently after not having used it for ages, and am finding the notation implementation great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr90DrotfWo

It is far more handy to have a stacked notation and PR than just one or the other alone. The quantisation to notes seems pretty decent too and you have some extra control of that under staff settings. Also having music.xml export is great!

A couple of issues I`ve run into so far are auto MIDI-input monitoring of individual track selection (if possible?), instability with kontakt 3.5 and some other bits and pieces that throw my intuition. I`ll have to dig into the manual and some youtube tutorials though.

So in theory if i were to change the sample-rate to 190k one I would get even better results regarding to latency?

I'm using ASIO drivers yes. What I don't understand while using the same settings I'm OK in Live but not in Samplitude -having all the glitches. What is different? Does Live lower the playback quality in order to have the smooth experience? I mean even if Samplitude is a program coded better to record audio from external sources you would expect an average experience recording an instrument using a VST in it.

I understand the main problem is my onboard soundcard which isn't fit for audio production or recording but the same goes for Live to which handles it smooth.

mewthree wrote:So in theory if i were to change the sample-rate to 190k one I would get even better results regarding to latency?

I'm using ASIO drivers yes. What I don't understand while using the same settings I'm OK in Live but not in Samplitude -having all the glitches. What is different? Does Live lower the playback quality in order to have the smooth experience? I mean even if Samplitude is a program coded better to record audio from external sources you would expect an average experience recording an instrument using a VST in it.

I understand the main problem is my onboard soundcard which isn't fit for audio production or recording but the same goes for Live to which handles it smooth.
Lower the quality? No..I dont know Live TBH, I have got he demo (or lite maybe) version with hardware more than once but it's not for me. I would imagine that the difference is that Live needs to be doing less to work and running less functions at the same time in a live situation where Samplitude is more intensive running much more in background to support it's features.

You're really comparing apples and oranges tbh, I understand that doesn't makes sense to you but the truth is not all DAWs are the same (no offense intended). The good news is Live works best for you and your needs, so if it aint broke dont fix it :)

4tune wrote:I have just dug out an upgrade I got to Samp 11 recently after not having used it for ages, and am finding the notation implementation great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr90DrotfWo

It is far more handy to have a stacked notation and PR than just one or the other alone. The quantisation to notes seems pretty decent too and you have some extra control of that under staff settings. Also having music.xml export is great!

A couple of issues I`ve run into so far are auto MIDI-input monitoring of individual track selection (if possible?), instability with kontakt 3.5 and some other bits and pieces that throw my intuition. I`ll have to dig into the manual and some youtube tutorials though.
I'll save you the search Kraznet's videos are awesome http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... annel&sm=1

I've never encountered lower latency in any DAW/Host by increasing the sample rate, If anything increasing the sampling-rate would increase the strain on you computer's resources.

I'm not expert with Samplitude or Sequoia but I'm sure both have options/preferences to switch monitoring whilst tracking oppose to when mixing to get the best performance for each task. I'm certain one of the long time Sam/Seq user's can confirm this and how it is labelled.

The stock MAGIX plug-in processors and effects plug-ins to my ears and very limited experience sounded really top-notch plus were easy to operate including when operating them in 'expert' mode, The uniform look is really a plus point in my humble books too. I do not know about the virtual instruments since I used my own 'go to' stuff but from what I have read they are more than just serviceable, Including threads here on KVR. The only negatives I have heard really is some having issues with Independence but not with Samplitude itself but when bought as a separate VI for use in their DAWs of choice, Not even relating to the instrument itself but rather authorization problems IIRC.

Why would someone use two separate DAW applications? Its simple and has been pointed out already, I am a big Live fan as it offers so much in a way nothing else does with such ease but it really is for my needs lacking in areas where more traditional DAWs excel, Since for me personally I've used Pro Tools the longest out of any other audio application, That is what I also use for the areas where Live doesn't do it for me and the two make a really great compliment to one another, Each inspires a different way of approaching tasks that overlap, Obviously I utilize PT for its editing and mixing capabilities/ease of use/layout which is simply what is fastest for my personal workflow, Sub PT out for Samplitude, Sequoia, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, SONAR, Studio 1, Digital Performer, REAPER...etc. for the same idea/principles behind using two separate DAW applications :)

I believe the reality today in the case of nearly every modern digital audio workstation is they are very complex, all covering the same set of features pretty much, Just worded/termed and implemented differently along with the layout/GUI differences and that is perhaps the single-most reason we as users stick to one over many other options all equally as capable. Creatures of habit so to speak, Well that is speaking for myself anyway.

Once I am unable to use Pro Tools v10 any longer I will be looking to switch to a different DAW for audio editing and mixing duties as I really do not like what AVID have done, Samplitude will be high on my list of replacements when that bridge comes and I must cross it. I'll be rinsing through kraznet's videos and asking many questions too. Until then I just stick to what I know

Cheers and all the best to all :D

Dean

96K setting is for audio, not VST/MIDI.
Not related to getting low latency.

Adjust your buffer settings back and forth in the system settings in Samplitude to see how low you can get it before you start getting LABs - then set it a little higher.

I trigger Superior2 from an old Korg PadKontrol, and Omnisphere via MIDI guitar with good low latency - down to 3ms latency on my Soniccore Scope (ASIO) audio cards, and 128 buffer settings in Samplitude.

What are your buffer and monitor settings currently set at?

Samplitude's object-based setup sometimes requires tweaking these settings for VST's.

Greg
Don't ask me, I just play here.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”