Excellent new free Wave Editor

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://waveshop.sourceforge.net/

I did a search and no one else seems to have mentioned this.

This is an extremely bare metal, but everything you need 90% of the time wave editor. It loads in about 3 seconds. Can be resized and keeps its position.

I've been looking for a replacement for Wavelab v1.0 for a while.

It is also sample accurate if you want to rejig masters afterwards, without it affecting the rest of the file.

Why not stick it in your 'Send to' folder for easy right click access.

This is my path on win7:
C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

It's more than basic though. It has a very good little set of most of the editing features you will need most of the time.

Wavosaur has come a long way. It is really amazing actually. But it has still crashed on me very badly when loading VSTs in it. WaveShop is super stable and super fast.

It might be all you need for much of the time.

BTW, the newest version of Audacity can load VST now, too, and has much more features than Waveshop...

But for using VST, I still prefer Acoustica Basic (or Wavosaur)...

Tricky-Loops wrote:BTW, the newest version of Audacity can load VST now, too, and has much more features than Waveshop...

I prefer Waveshop.
And Ocenaudio.
[Insert Signature Here]

Tricky-Loops wrote:BTW, the newest version of Audacity can load VST now, too, and has much more features than Waveshop...

Acoustica Basic is a fine editor. I often use its scan file and find overloads feature.

But it is clunky and you can't edit the colours. This is probably the most important feature for me. I can't stand bright colours. KVR killed me till I got the script that Evil Dragon kindly uploaded (based on someone elses design, albeit).

Audacity has major problems. Am I the only person in the world that has spent over an hour trying to get it to play in loop mode? Obviously not, judging by Google.

It is a great editor. I use it on Linux most of the time as my no.1 editor.

And like I said, Wavosaur has just gone through the roof with its development. Kudos to them. But I have lost nearly every single project I have used VSTs in with it. No more. It's not ready for prime time yet. But it is probably the most powerful of the free win editors.

I only put this post up coz I had never heard of WaveShop till a few days ago, and it was a pleasant surprise. Maybe others will find it useful.

Most peeps know Wavosaur and Audacity.

WaveShop can hold its own with them and is a major contender for lightweight, no nonsense editing.

codec_spurt wrote:Audacity has major problems. Am I the only person in the world that has spent over an hour trying to get it to play in loop mode? Obviously not, judging by Google.
Now that you mentioned it, I've tried it and I found it (without Google) within seconds in the menu "Transport" -> "Loop Playback"... :)

Got the same issue on wavosaur indeed.
Great editor for free, but often it crashes when rendering/applying many plugins, specially the x64 version.
I'll check this new one soon. Thanks for the info
:tu:

Audacity, while decent (especially for the price) has way too many shortcomings, like still not having a real-time effects rack, you know, like Windoze and Mac wave editors had since the 1990s...

OTOH, the fact that Waveshop is an open source wave editor with no Linux port and yet comes with LADSPA(Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API) plugins is just bizarre. :dog:

Thanks for the heads-up codec, looks interesting...

Last time I checked, Audacity no longer supports ASIO, unless you build it yourself.

jeffh wrote:
Audacity, while decent (especially for the price) has way too many shortcomings, like still not having a real-time effects rack, you know, like Windoze and Mac wave editors had since the 1990s...
That's why I still don't use it for VST, it's pretty awkward. But I like Audacity for simple editing tasks like cutting, cropping, inserting silence, normalizing etc. And the zoom feature is pretty good...

jeffh wrote:
OTOH, the fact that Waveshop is an open source wave editor
I kind of thought that when I saw 'open source'.

Would be nice to have something like this in Linux.

And this is why I am thankful for Audacity. It works really well in Linux. But I'm fickle and can live without it in windows.

This is just a 'heads up' as they say. I was trying to find out more about it, and was surprised there was not more info at KVR.

Feel free to fill in the blanks.

It is doing it in a big way for me though. I love it. It's almost like it's written in Assembler or something, compared to, oh, Wavelab, which seems like it is written in HTML.

:-)

Thanks for the heads up :)

FWIW the portable version seems to work OOTB with Wine, too (Wine1.6, 'buntu 13.10)

I mentioned WaveShop a little while ago- the tiny footprint and speed are great, but the bit-perfect
aspect is the most important to me; for basic audio editing, this is my go-to tool. No bloat, just does what it's supposed to.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

ccDuckett wrote:I mentioned WaveShop a little while ago- the tiny footprint and speed are great, but the bit-perfect
aspect is the most important to me; for basic audio editing, this is my go-to tool. No bloat, just does what it's supposed to.
I recently came across this scenario for the first time in my life a little while ago. I'd never needed it before, and it just made me wonder, and I forgot about it.

Then I came across this program and I thought, oh that would do it. Talking about the bit perfect stuff, about altering masters. Pretty handy feature. I wouldn't use it in a production environment, as such. No disrespect. But it is just what you need for knocking out new renders to Soundcloud.

Besides all that. It starts super quick and has most of the editing features I need and use most of the time. Like I said, I had never heard of it, so this is just a heads up, not a bun fight, you know..

I've been using it quite a while now. It is very stable. Wavosaur promises a lot. But without fail crashes every time. I guess it is copying and trying to be like Sound Forge more and more!

;-)

Thanks for posting about this. It's exactly what I've been looking for in a wave editor. Sure, it could use some tweaks (how the hell do I turn off the "follow music cursor" option? it's really difficult to edit at a low level when the graphics keep following the cursor through the loop I'm working on).

But its fast and does the damn thing, as they say. I've wondered why something like this doesn't exist. I don't want/need processing functions in my wave editor. I've got a DAW for that. But most DAWs are fiddly with destructive edits, so a dedicated wave editor comes in really handy.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”