Which are toys and which are tools?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all
I usually say that
"to the unskilled every tool is a toy
to the skilled every toy is a tool"
Admittingly I made that up to sound wise but let's face it: people won't buy it! The toy/tool distinction keeps coming up in threads frequently. So now I simply have to ask: What makes a product a toy and what makes it a tool?

Some say that hardware are tools, while software are toys. Why is that? Is digital hardware synths toys as well because they run software?

Some say that FL Studio is a toy while other daws are tools. How would I know that?

Some say that iPad synths are toys, while PC synths are not. I have both PC and iPad versions of synths like Arturia mini, Arturia SEM, Korg Polysix, Korg MS-20, Z3ta+ and PH Thor. How can I tell one from another with respect to the toy/tool distinction?

The questions are killing me, so plz help me out.

Thanks in advance :)

something what you always use, something what always find a way into your tracks is a tool, something what you try to "squeeze" into your tracks, something what most of a time makes you think that it's a f***ing toy, something what you use because of a fad, and try to persuade yourself that it's good, while you see that's a crap, it's a toy.

Also one man's toys, another man's tools. Like gold and sh**.
Grown ups work with tools, and fiddle around with toys (some with boys lol). :hyper:
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

Honestly, there's no reason to really care. It's all wannabe professionalist nonsense.

I can offer a non-derogatory definition of toy. Toys are for play and tools are for getting jobs done.

By that definition, everything is a combination of toy and tool, with varying emphasis.
I like toytools best.

the things i use are my toys, the thing that uses your toys is a tool :hihi:

vurt wrote:the things i use are my toys, the thing that uses your toys is a tool :hihi:
Up early or did you get any sleep? :)

I guess, for me, it is more like my cars...some are toys...ie: 1969 Mustang Fastback with the 429 Cobra Jet engine...others, ...ie: like my 2009 Ford F250 4x4 are tools... :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

This thread just seems like a whole lot of toying around with your tool.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

trimph1 wrote:
vurt wrote:the things i use are my toys, the thing that uses your toys is a tool :hihi:

I guess, for me, it is more like my cars...some are toys...ie: 1969 Mustang Fastback with the 429 Cobra Jet engine...others, ...ie: like my 2009 Ford F250 4x4 are tools... :)
went to bed around 5 up at 8.30 :lol:

vurt wrote:
trimph1 wrote:

went to bed around 5 up at 8.30 :lol:
the usual then... :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I hear some people prefer toys to a tool.

hulk smash!

I'm just waiting for Deb to make a comment in this thread... :hihi:

my comment was obviously too subtle... :hihi:

They're all toys to me and my favourite musicians. A child playing is infinitely more interesting than a produca being pro. That is the whole point of music for me, to funnel childish instincts through the lense of adult taste.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

IncarnateX wrote:What makes a product a toy and what makes it a tool?
A limited worldview.
IncarnateX wrote:Some say that hardware are tools, while software are toys. Why is that?
Because they literally have no idea what they're talking about.
IncarnateX wrote:Some say that FL Studio is a toy while other daws are tools.
Some say that the governments of major nations are secretly run by a race of lizard-people.

Don't worry about whether what you use is a "tool" or a "toy." Every musical instrument and bit of musical gear or software is both. I don't care if it's Pro Tools or FL Studio, a Stradivarius or a cigar box with rubber bands stretched over it.

Claiming some gear is more "pro" than others is just a childish way of boosting the ego. It's all about image, and it's bullshit.

If you google "producers who use FL Studio" you'll find several associated with big name acts, if that matters to you. (I don't think it should, but whatever.)

I agree with Sendy overall. If what we're doing isn't fun -- if we're not playing with toys here -- why are we doing it? If we don't enjoy making music how are we supposed to expect anyone to enjoy listening to it?

foosnark wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:Some say that FL Studio is a toy while other daws are tools.
Some say that the governments of major nations are secretly run by a race of lizard-people.
Are you implying that they aren't?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”