How much do you spend on Loops, Samples, and Presets?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic

How much do you spend on Loops, Samples, and Presets?

I don’t buy or download any
19%
I only download free content
14%
40-100 dollars per year
22%
Over 100 dollars per year
44%

Total votes: 36

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently working on a research project at school and need to find out how much money producers spend on Loops, Samples, and Presets in total per year. It doesn't matter whether they are bought individually, or in packs. Feel free to post your favourite vendors as well eg: Loopmaster, etc..

Just to clarify:

Loops: Individual Loops, Loop Packs, Traktor Remix Sets etc
Samples: Sample Libraries/Packs, Sample based instruments (Kontakt), Maschine/MPC Expansion Packs or similar
Presets: Presets for software synthesizers and effects (Absynth, Massive etc)

The poll does not include:
- Vinyls
- Presets for hardware instruments
- Songs or Albums

Anyhow, I'm super grateful for your input and feedback! :)

I spend around 100$ a year on sound libraries. My hard drives are full!

Im kind of thinking the poll options are a bit poorly thought out, as though the expectation was that most people here have very limited budgets indeed.

Whilst there are plenty of folk here who (in particular) dont use commercial preset libraries, or loops, eg in favour of making their own, there are also plenty of people who happily invest in the larger commercial sample libraries, where a single large sample library can run to the hundreds of dollars.

To me, "its a bit like asking 'how many coffees do you drink a day? none, one, or two or more?" when half the people in the room are on their tenth. You're not actually going to find out that much.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

So far I've only bought 3 sets of content that cost money:

* 1 iMaschine expansion (0,89€)
* Orchestral soundbank for Zebra (forgot how much it was, less than 20€)
* Driven Machine Drums (again forgot how much, less than 99€ I guess?)

If we divide a maximum of this, 120€, with 20 years, why, that'd amount to abt 6€ per year?

One million dollars.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I make hundreds of presets and recordings that I can use to sample, so have very little need for these things. However, I still buy a small amount.

Presets:

Sometimes I'll stumble upon a sound designer whose skills I'm in awe at, so I'll buy their presets just to look at their patches and see if I can learn anything. I think this accounts for about four or five preset packs in my life.

Samples:

Things that I don't have access to - obscure drum machines, indian vocals, breakbeat collections, some instruments that I can't play or don't own (in other words, most instruments).
Things I do have access to, but I need MOAR - samples from obscure gaming sources, noise beds from obscure hardware, texture collections (Dirt and Layers is AMAZING!), foley and ambiences, MOAR DRUMS!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I hit the saturation point awhile ago, so currently, I rarely will buy new samples, though I just got the recent Total Rex deal, so I checked the $40-$100 box.

I'm pretty confident that I can currently make just about any sound known to man, so it's got to be a pretty special set for me to break out the charge card.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I probably spent thousands on sample libraries last year.

Been a lot more frugal this year

I don't buy samples, loops or presets. I do pay for vsts and software to run them on, and hardware. I prefer to "roll my own" sounds and loops.

Definitely still in the over $100 category but this habit is slowly disappearing as I change my priorities. Lately Ive shifted into more of a "develop my capabilities with playing the instrument" phase, which has been a very refreshing change, in many different ways.

Ive noticed that I revert to preset shopping when I let my low self esteem get the better of me with my playing and mixing.

But, there is a fine balance that has to be there.

You cant play any instruments without a sound and you will not play it well if it does not move you.

Not sure why I went in to that.... felt like yammering
Who is "I"? What is "I"? This has yet to be explained.

Slightly wonky question really, that might not be representative of useful data.

In additional to scale problems mentioned earlier (some people spend thousands), there is also the fact that some people don't buy presets at all but will buy samples, some people don't buy sampled instruments but not loops, etc...

I've spent probably just over £200 over the last year or so on sampled instruments, but don't buy any loops or presets for synths. I only buy sampled instruments that are essentially synths in their own right and can be used to create new sounds, rather than one-trick pony type things (with the odd exception, but usually less than £5 a pop).

I guess it depends on the questions you've been given to answer by your school (or ones you've set yourself to answer if they've given you a broader topic to look at), but I can't help thinking that the data you get won't be very representative of the actual buying habits and needs out there.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

I have no interest in loops, usually. I buy presets once in a while, as with some synthesizers, I have no patience to program them. I feel saturated with samples, but I keep an eye for unique and rare instruments or experiments. Throughout a year I probably spend more than $100, but I deny this fact. Concerning the state of my income, I shouldn't.

Weird range options given that some sample sets are multiple hundreds of dollars each.

I consider myself an occasional, casual buyer of sample sets (whether for Kontakt or Maschine kits) every so often -- they have to be inexpensive individually, and have to be unique and cool, and I have to expect I'll use them in more than one track.

I don't buy loops, and I don't often buy presets.

Still that puts me easily in $100 per year territory, I think. It's kind of hard to guess from recent behavior since I went on a bit of a spree after picking up Maschine in November.

Well over a hundred in 2013 (I pretty much gave myself a Kontakt Khristmas).
This year, well under a hundred, but the year is still young...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”