What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

How do you do it?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

6639 posts since 25 Nov, 2002, from the cone of uncertainty....

Postby Stupid American Pig; Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:50 am How do you do it?

So I am in Buffalo, NY this week for work. Its a blizzard warning today and they expect 12-14" of snow. Why would anyone want to live here permanently? I mean its not that its a bad place, but shit, its way too cold up here.

Signed,
a cold Texan
KVRAF

19991 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:28 am Re: How do you do it?

You get used to it, and it's more about routine every winter rather than reacting to it. I lived in NH for 3 years and it was new to me as I grew up without snow.

I'd move back up there if my wife wanted too as well.
KVRAF

5234 posts since 23 May, 2002, from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Postby kritikon; Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:40 am Re: How do you do it?

Snow - bloody hate the stuff. Moved south across the globe to get away from it, and now I'm moving further north to get away even further from it. Moving to the winterless north soon and hope never to see snow again. It's fine up on mountain tops and looks pretty, but it should never be allowed to just lie around on the ground like that... :x
Rad Grandad

24607 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:37 am Re: How do you do it?

Stupid American Pig wrote:So I am in Buffalo, NY this week for work. Its a blizzard warning today and they expect 12-14" of snow. Why would anyone want to live here permanently? I mean its not that its a bad place, but shit, its way too cold up here.

Signed,
a cold Texan

you know for three years @FT Hood TX I asked people the opposite. The fact is the heat soaks the energy out of me and also what would not be too much heat for you is for me and it actually makes me ill. I can bundle up in layers when it's cold, but NO ONE wants to see me try the opposite. BTW that is also the answer to your question, you learn to dress in layers, you learn things like never wear two pair of socks if you're going to spending a lot of time indoors as well as out. You see that's the whole layers thing, if you wear too much and sweat while indoors then go out into the cold it's worse...so layers :tu:

Signed a Yankee (not a damn Yankee)
As long as you hate, there will be people to hate
-George Harrison
KVRAF

3062 posts since 25 Jun, 2004

Postby highkoo; Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:55 am Re: How do you do it?

Another yankee here, checking in... :)

I dont even notice it tbh.
I suppose it is an 'acquired taste', just like the heat.
But if I had to choose between 8° and a foot of snow, or 100°+, Id choose the snow every time.

Anyway, suck it up. :hihi:
What we get now shouldnt even be called winter...
Wore my sneakers through most of it this year. :ud:
KVRAF

5301 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Postby BERFAB; Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 am Re: How do you do it?

I've lived in New England for 30+ years, and I grew up in the NY metro area, so I've known snow all my life. I don't recall it being much of a problem as a kid growing up, but I have to say that the last 10 years or so in Boston has really been starting to get to me. The Spring, Summer and Fall seasons here are beautiful, but the winters are brutal.

I recall a long time ago asking a college friend who was going to make his career in Florida whether he would miss the change of seasons. He told me he could always fly to the sh*tty weather if he wanted.

As my kids are starting to leave the nest, I'm starting to look longingly at a future without a snow shovel.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...
KVRian

1057 posts since 2 Dec, 2008, from Finland

Postby ras.s; Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:21 am Re: How do you do it?

I live in south-western Finland and it snowed only three (three!!) times so far, and with the spring advancing I think that's all we'll get. :cry: It wasn't a winter, more like some chill season.

But like Hink said, it's all about layering all the way, woolly socks and baggy pants that fit lighter pair of pants inside, having a full beard to act as an insulation. Yea, and warm and cozy evenings by the fireplace.

I miss having a proper winter. :cry: I don't know how I'll make it if the next winter is even remotely similar to this one. I think I'll go norther. Without the snow the darkness is much heavier..
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:21 am Re: How do you do it?

highkoo wrote:Another yankee here, checking in... :)

I dont even notice it tbh.
I suppose it is an 'acquired taste', just like the heat.
But if I had to choose between 8° and a foot of snow, or 100°+, Id choose the snow every time.

Anyway, suck it up. :hihi:
What we get now shouldnt even be called winter...
Wore my sneakers through most of it this year. :ud:

earlier this winter I made note of the fact that a couple of times we did one of 'big' grocery shopping* on days when it was around 0°(f) and then I said I would rather do it then than when it's 80°+. Yesterday we did a big shopping and it was 55° and even after this winter I came in and said "too hot" :hihi:

BTW another point, I need 4 seasons...Like I told a cali guy once, it works like this...every season here you're ready for the next season which one could look at as the weather always getting better...for instance tire of the heat, fall will be better. Fall brings on the anticipation of winter sports and winter fun, the holidays and such (we call the holidays the silly season). Spring of course is great but gets one excited about summer activities...so each season the weather gets better.

So at 54 and half years old the weather is 218 times better than it was the day I was born...but in southern cali the weather is just the same as it was the day I was born...therefore proving the weather is much better here :hihi:

*we live on the third floor and on the other side of the building so it's a fairly long walk from the car to my house
-George Harrison
KVRAF

3062 posts since 25 Jun, 2004

Postby highkoo; Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 am Re: How do you do it?

Yep, the 'seasons' thing is a big part of it for me for sure.

Even if it is fall and Im not especially looking forward to the winter, its still good for me to know its coming.
Even if its annoying, its good.
Im not built to exist is constant comfort. :hihi:
Catfish. :)

"They used to tank cod from Alaska all the way to China. They’d keep them in vats in the ship. By the time the codfish reached China the flesh was mush and tasteless. So this guy came up with this idea that if you put these cods in these big vats, put some catfish in with them. And the catfish would keep the cod agile. And there are those people who are catfish in life. And they keep you on your toes, they keep you guessin’ they keep you thinkin’ they keep you fresh. And I thank god for the catfish, because we would be dull and boring if we didn’t have somebody nipping at our fin."
something special

7883 posts since 15 Mar, 2002, from gone riding

Postby bluedad; Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 am Re: How do you do it?

No freakin' way would I voluntarily live up north again. I moved south to get away from the snow and cold.
Give me the warmth of sunshine, feels good on these old bones.
I want to thank IK for the trip to Hawaii and for letting me play with ST3 since January.
Boss Lovin' DR

3555 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:39 am Re: How do you do it?

It's just a drizzle. I used to live in Lancashire, that was real rain.
KVRAF

2629 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 am Re: How do you do it?

Snow = water.

Water good. No water bad. Ask California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas.
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:50 pm Re: How do you do it?

bluedad wrote:No freakin' way would I voluntarily live up north again. I moved south to get away from the snow and cold.
Give me the warmth of sunshine, feels good on these old bones.

now I can agree with that, the warmth does feel good on these old bones too (not scorching heat and ridiculous humidity though) but then the cold can be quite invigorating...that's why I like the balance of 4 seasons :shrug:
-George Harrison
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:02 pm Re: How do you do it?

highkoo wrote:Yep, the 'seasons' thing is a big part of it for me for sure.

Even if it is fall and Im not especially looking forward to the winter, its still good for me to know its coming.
Even if its annoying, its good.
Im not built to exist is constant comfort. :hihi:
Catfish. :)

"They used to tank cod from Alaska all the way to China. They’d keep them in vats in the ship. By the time the codfish reached China the flesh was mush and tasteless. So this guy came up with this idea that if you put these cods in these big vats, put some catfish in with them. And the catfish would keep the cod agile. And there are those people who are catfish in life. And they keep you on your toes, they keep you guessin’ they keep you thinkin’ they keep you fresh. And I thank god for the catfish, because we would be dull and boring if we didn’t have somebody nipping at our fin."

I get a lot done in the winter so that's a reason to look forward to winter...being a huge hockey fan is another great reason to look forward to winter...you know what they call hockey in the summer? Water polo...hockey players have layers and layers of gear...water polo players wear speedos :shrug:

okay I was going to go find a picture of Zedano Chara (huge bruins defenseman) and say the last thing I want to see is Zedano Chara in a speedo but that backfired....this is what I got (that is Chara)

:lol:
-George Harrison
addled muppet weed

34219 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:05 pm Re: How do you do it?

he aint wearing speedos though :shrug:
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic