What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Sonimus Britson - out now!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist
 
269 posts since 22 Nov, 2008, from Greater Boston

Postby yevster; Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 am Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

Just hope they model multiple channels.
KVRAF
 
10913 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany
 

Postby Compyfox; Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

WOW! Epic... slowclap.

So SATSON was (IIRC) an attempt at an SSL. Now "Britson" is an attempt at yet another NEVE!


NEVE, SSL...
For funks sake - are there no other darn console preamps on this planet to model?!

What about Siemens (technically, the Waves REDD)?
What about Helios?
What about CALREC?
What about Studer?
What about Neumann, MCI, ADT (rumor has it, that one of SKnote's StripBus preamps is based upon it), QMR, TL Audio, Harrison (MixBus is an own host - not available as indepentend plugins), ...?

Seriously... do we need another Neve if like... anyone does it these days?


I'm not critisizing the plugin here, as there is obviously nothing to test yet. What I critisize is the fact, that it's just another (IMO!) riding of the bandwagon. Like I said, there are tons of NEVE and SSL console clones on the market already. The model numbers don't count IMO: SSL 4k E/G, 9k (Duende, Softube Console 1, built into Reason/Record!) or Neve 8014 (Britson), 5116 (Waves NLS), 8048 (Slate DIgital VCC, eventually also in the upcoming VMR), 88RS (UAD), etc. I definitely forgot a lot of other companies, Nebula presets, DSP solutions in general, etc.

But that's not the point (model numbers)!
The point is... we're overrun with NEVE and SSL. While these two console brands are definitely used up and down these days, at various incarnations, there is more to the darn console market than SSL and Neve!


And there really need to be outstanding arguments, why I should get another... Neve preamp in plugin form. With an eventual MSRP of at least 40USD (Satson is currently at 39USD, from the dev's page - as long as there is no price known, I go with 39-59USD) - which is definitely affordable.


But... why? Because of the tuned LP/HP again?
KVRAF
 
40209 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:40 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

Image
KVRist
 
111 posts since 15 Nov, 2012, from Arkansas, USA
   

Postby clintmartin; Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:46 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

I will be looking for the opinions of Sonar users. Sonar has console emulations of SSl, Neve and Trident or API. How does Satson or Britson sound compared to those? I also have Klanghelms SDRR. Hornet makes the SW34eq which is based on an Otari I believe.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
6679 posts since 20 Jul, 2004, from Boston
 

Postby djanthonyw; Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:53 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

Compyfox wrote:WOW! Epic... slowclap.

So SATSON was (IIRC) an attempt at an SSL. Now "Britson" is an attempt at yet another NEVE!


NEVE, SSL...
For funks sake - are there no other darn console preamps on this planet to model?!

What about Siemens (technically, the Waves REDD)?
What about Helios?
What about CALREC?
What about Studer?
What about Neumann, MCI, ADT (rumor has it, that one of SKnote's StripBus preamps is based upon it), QMR, TL Audio, Harrison (MixBus is an own host - not available as indepentend plugins), ...?

Seriously... do we need another Neve if like... anyone does it these days?


I'm not critisizing the plugin here, as there is obviously nothing to test yet. What I critisize is the fact, that it's just another (IMO!) riding of the bandwagon. Like I said, there are tons of NEVE and SSL console clones on the market already. The model numbers don't count IMO: SSL 4k E/G, 9k (Duende, Softube Console 1, built into Reason/Record!) or Neve 8014 (Britson), 5116 (Waves NLS), 8048 (Slate DIgital VCC, eventually also in the upcoming VMR), 88RS (UAD), etc. I definitely forgot a lot of other companies, Nebula presets, DSP solutions in general, etc.

But that's not the point (model numbers)!
The point is... we're overrun with NEVE and SSL. While these two console brands are definitely used up and down these days, at various incarnations, there is more to the darn console market than SSL and Neve!


And there really need to be outstanding arguments, why I should get another... Neve preamp in plugin form. With an eventual MSRP of at least 40USD (Satson is currently at 39USD, from the dev's page - as long as there is no price known, I go with 39-59USD) - which is definitely affordable.


But... why? Because of the tuned LP/HP again?

Why? Well, Satson ended up being the only console emulation that I stuck with because I feel Sonimus emulated it correctly. I'd happily welcome another flavor from the same maker. I love everything about Satson...

- The sound
- The price
- Simple, and not bloated

I've used every other console emu except Stripbus, but I don't need to use that to know that it's bloated. Who cares if there are 100 other console emulations... they are not the same. Sonimus wins.
You are currently reading my signature.
KVRian
 
635 posts since 22 Sep, 2007, from Caracas, Venezuela

Postby Mercado_Negro; Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:58 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

I'm really looking forward to the release so you can hear it for yourselves. So far, I just can say that those who have actually worked with Neve gear will love the sound and recognize it immediately. Those who don't, well you'll finally hear what a Neve gear sounds like and that's great news for all of us.
KVRist
 
111 posts since 15 Nov, 2012, from Arkansas, USA
   

Postby clintmartin; Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:28 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

More info from Sonimus.
http://www.sonimus.com/
KVRAF
 
40209 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:37 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

March 18th, it'll beat bitwig!
User avatar
KVRAF
 
6679 posts since 20 Jul, 2004, from Boston
 

Postby djanthonyw; Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

Nice! Added info to original post. :)
You are currently reading my signature.
KVRAF
 
10913 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany
 

Postby Compyfox; Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:57 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

hibidy wrote:IMG


Not into football, sorry.


clintmartin wrote:I also have Klanghelms SDRR.


Klanghelm's "Console" mode in SDRR is indeed inspired by consoles - but it's not a particular one.


clintmartin wrote:Hornet makes the SW34eq which is based on an Otari I believe.


It's mainly an EQ with saturation characteristics (if the bands are boosted). Not a preamp (dev confirmed that in his own thread within the first week of the release). Else, yes it's a port of an Otari Soundworkshop 34b channel strip.


djanthonyw wrote:Why? Well, Satson ended up being the only console emulation that I stuck with because I feel Sonimus emulated it correctly.


Personal opinion. Though I have to agree, it is simple.
But the hype around it was and still isn't funny.


djanthonyw wrote:I've used every other console emu except Stripbus, but I don't need to use that to know that it's bloated. Who cares if there are 100 other console emulations... they are not the same. Sonimus wins.


I do care, because SATSON was hyped to no end. And the developer (back in the day, while he was still on KVR - he actually blamed me on GearSlutz for his leave!) even claimed that it wasn't a 100% port, more like esque. Add to that the (back in the day) non existing information resolving about the plugin (manual comes to mind, teh refusal to go more into detail), missing demo version and no money back guarantee.

The only thing that "sold", was the fact that it cost so less compared to what was out there at that time. Yet you bought the cat in the hat - which was obviously okay for a lot of users (which I can not understand until this day)! And people still insist that the filters are unearthly, even if they're in fact just tuned (Q factor changed).

I don't disregard the fact that it's working for users like yourself. It can be just the right thing for you. I took at dive at it, I worked with it at clients places. Yet this plugin wasn't the right thing for me.

But for funks sake, I don't get the hype!
And I definitely don't get why it always has to be NEVE or SSL.


Mercado_Negro wrote:I'm really looking forward to the release so you can hear it for yourselves. So far, I just can say that those who have actually worked with Neve gear will love the sound and recognize it immediately. Those who don't, well you'll finally hear what a Neve gear sounds like and that's great news for all of us.


Does this post emit some beta tester vibe?

Because the final sentence definitely doesn't swing with me. Sorry Mercado - I usually respect your opinion as fellow beta tester... But I heard a lot of NEVE gear by now - both hardware (granted, more recent gear) and software. I personally enjoy stuff like Slate Digital, Nomad Factory, also heard the Alex B stuff by now as well.

I don't think that all these developers (including Universal Audio!!!) and Nebula set providers funked up that much and "Sonimus" is to the rescue. This reminds me of the back-in-the-days negative vibes regarding SATSON.

Unless I'm in "misunderstanding land" once again.



Which I'm fairly sure that I am according to the current posts. So I better back off now and rather recommend to listen to the excellent song "Arguing on the Internet" by Shael Riley (from his Album "Toybox"). Very fitting lyrics.
KVRian
 
635 posts since 22 Sep, 2007, from Caracas, Venezuela

Postby Mercado_Negro; Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:49 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

Indeed, my post is missing a few lines and words. I'm not saying some of the curent tools don't make justice to the gear they're emulated from but that Sonimus did a great job here with Britson. Neve is not my sound, I actually dislike it a bit but since I know how it sounds (in general, not all Neve gear sound the same, of course. I mean the old stuff with St Ives or those with Carnhills... that particular "smeary" and silky" property), I can tell you it's pretty much there, nailed. That's of course just my opinion, as usual :)

[EDIT] Just to clarify, my post was merely intended to share my happiness about how far technology has come along, which is great for all of us.
KVRAF
 
40209 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:56 pm Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

@Compy (or mr fox :D )

But that face, it says it all :hihi:

I dunno, considering my crazy escapades maybe I'm not one to talk but shesh, seems a bit overly involved for a 39usd plugin. I almost get the impression you've been wronged by them or something.
KVRian
 
624 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Las Vegas

Postby Lee702; Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:05 am Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

•Hassle-free installation. No activation or serial. Each buyer receives a personalized copy for use in the studio, on the laptop, etc.
User avatar
KVRian
 
1476 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:52 am Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

wow, looks like i was way off the mark here... and i'm happy about it! even if i end up not liking Britson, i've got SO much mileage of Sweetone, SonEQ Pro and Satson i can live with one plugin i don't use...
From Russia with love
KVRAF
 
3166 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Postby kmonkey; Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:04 am Re: Sonimus Britson is coming!

Compyfox wrote:WOW! Epic... slowclap.

So SATSON was (IIRC) an attempt at an SSL. Now "Britson" is an attempt at yet another NEVE!


NEVE, SSL...
For funks sake - are there no other darn console preamps on this planet to model?!




But... why? Because of the tuned LP/HP again?


No it isn't of the tuned LP/HP. I am actually surprised that your way of thinking is so narrow (should i say "in the box" thinking..haha)

Your argument would be PERFECTLY valid if these emulations you mentioned (waves, yadayada) where state of the art and last word in console emulation - but we all know they are not!

So main question is why would anyone (you and i) limit themselves with the few emulations available?

You are acting like there is no way someone else could do it better?

It's like someone produced a plugin which is supposed to be exact replica (but in 995 cases it is far from that),and all of a sudden whole world does not need anything other better or more correct. Quite narrowed.

If you hate this announcement so much - why bother to write about it anyway? You do realize it is going to be released with or without your opinion.


edit: motivation for this post is purely the fact that i am actually enjoying Satson. While it is subtle it for sure isn't mushy waveshaper (like waves is), or overrated SlateVCC. It does give ma feel of console spirit. Which is why i am looking at new release. Someone at gearslut made a funny joke. This emulation need 6month of waiting, constant people teasing, absurd copy protection, absurd price and of course - we narrowed it perfectly - to be on pair with other emulations :D
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects