Ohm Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ohm Studio

This came to me via... http://songstuff.com

http://www.ohmstudio.com/

On the surface it seems like a great starter.

You get the basic version for free and a limited number of projects to work on. You can then upgrade to various builds and expand the projects. What's the kicker?

It's all based on cloud server technology.

The concept of a daw host application centered around collaboration is solid. The costs of the versions seems reasonable and the chance to collab with others also makes it of great interest for "jammers" like me. I'm sure remixer's and engineers/producers will love it too.

However there is no offline usage of the current model. You do have to store your projects online via the cloud server. Which gets into publishing rights. If you publish to a cloud who will control the publishing rights of your finished work? Publishing is distribution. Even if you do have a copyright on your own material the publisher has control over how/where your content can be distributed. If you are publishing to a cloud server that cloud host can secure the publishing rights. Which means if you later decide to share that content outside of the ohm platform they can legally issue take down orders and sue you for distributing your own material.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

There is some discussion in this thread
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=403855

I participated in the open beta. I quite liked what I saw and I will definitely give it a second look if they work out a promising offline option.

Offline mode is on the way and based on the survey, all your concerns are being addressed (or at very least, that's the point of the survey, so I would suggest participating).

It's the only DAW that focuses on collaboration, which makes it very unique. I still find it interesting that this garnered very little attention here on KVR (in comparison to other DAW's).

tapper mike wrote: However there is no offline usage of the current model. You do have to store your projects online via the cloud server. Which gets into publishing rights. If you publish to a cloud who will control the publishing rights of your finished work? Publishing is distribution. Even if you do have a copyright on your own material the publisher has control over how/where your content can be distributed. If you are publishing to a cloud server that cloud host can secure the publishing rights. Which means if you later decide to share that content outside of the ohm platform they can legally issue take down orders and sue you for distributing your own material.
I really don't think Ohm would try to steal the copyright to your work, but there are plenty of other reasons to be wary of cloud-only DAWing. (this coming from someone whose job title is "Cloud Developer").

Amazon Web Services has it's fair share of reliability and performance issues. Unless Ohm has invested an incredible amount of engineering effort in making OhmStudio's services massively redundant and stateless, it's quite possible that you'll periodically lose service for hours (and occasionally days). For those interested in knowing what goes into engineering reliability at a large scale into AWS, look up Netflix' "Chaos Monkey".

Otherwise, OhmStudio looks like a well executed and interesting DAW, I think they might have a real winner on their hands when it's usable offline with the ability to save projects locally.

elxsound wrote:It's the only DAW that focuses on collaboration, which makes it very unique. I still find it interesting that this garnered very little attention here on KVR (in comparison to other DAW's).
Not really, FLS had a collaboration mode a long time ago, not used much and got removed, Reaper has Ninjam built in, that is more useful for me than shared cloud collaboration.
I don't see any major interest anywhere (Press or online) in the Ohm offering, it offers little in the way of anything better than the DAWs that are already available, the only interesting thing is the cloud stuff and it looks like it is way less interesting than Ohm actually thought (Look at the chat around Bitwig vs the chat around Ohms offering) I suspect this is why an Offline version will soon exist and i also suspect the cloud thing will become a secondary concern very soon after that.
Duh

Not taking the cloud aspect into account and looking at this purely from a overall DAW functionality point of view, for me, it is lacking compared to its non-cloud, linear host cousins, although in some aspects, such as the modular racks, they are ahead of the other hosts. But knowing Ohmforce, this DAW will keep evolving. These guys listen to their users.

Add the cloud functionality to the equation, and I think they're ahead of the pack by quite some margin.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I bought it to support Ohm; they have an interesting concept.
I used it maybe 20 min, even though I wanted to. The workflow is... let's say worse than cubase's (you have to work hard to achieve that!). I asked on their feature request forums, and workflow improvements are not in their roadmap in the near future.

If you record audio, you may be ok; if you work with midi and VSTis, you are going to be punching the monitor :)

I ended up buying studio one and eating my Ohm studio license with potatoes (turns out you cannot resell it). I'd say it'll be years before it's of any use to me.

urlwolf wrote:if you work with midi and VSTis, you are going to be punching the monitor
Can you point out a couple of issues you had working with plugins?

tapper mike wrote:Which gets into publishing rights. If you publish to a cloud who will control the publishing rights of your finished work? Publishing is distribution. Even if you do have a copyright on your own material the publisher has control over how/where your content can be distributed. If you are publishing to a cloud server that cloud host can secure the publishing rights. Which means if you later decide to share that content outside of the ohm platform they can legally issue take down orders and sue you for distributing your own material.
(as others answered, off line mode is in the making ATM)

Ohm Studio has nothing more to do than Soundcloud or Pro Tools with your copyright except for one thing: the snapshot system allow to prove an anterirority of content submission. If you record an original riff for the first time in Ohm Studio you'll always be able to provide a proof that you added it at a precise time stamp. It works if someone try to steal the idea whether it's within Ohm Studio or if he hears it live etc.

But as said in our terms of use:
Ohm Force wrote:Copyright on music created using the Service

You agree that Ohm Force does not claim any right on the music you and your partners create.

You agree that Ohm Force has no responsibility in managing any form of license on artistic works created by you and your partners.

Therefore, you should reach an agreement upon ownership with your partners if you want to protect your works.

You agree that Admin rights as provided by the Service have no implication over copyright - which can be held by a User having left the project for instance.

jeffh wrote: Amazon Web Services has it's fair share of reliability and performance issues. Unless Ohm has invested an incredible amount of engineering effort in making OhmStudio's services massively redundant and stateless, it's quite possible that you'll periodically lose service for hours (and occasionally days). For those interested in knowing what goes into engineering reliability at a large scale into AWS, look up Netflix' "Chaos Monkey".
(note : Ohm Studio's CM speaking... :P )

We use AWS and AFAIK there has been 0% downtime during beta that was caused by them. So far we can say that it works as well as they advertise.

Our uptime is pretty solid actually. It's 100% since release (except the occasional fast maintenance reboot) although we had a few traffic spikes. And it was rougly 99% during the 16 months long Beta.

UncleAge wrote:
urlwolf wrote:if you work with midi and VSTis, you are going to be punching the monitor
Can you point out a couple of issues you had working with plugins?
  • Plugins always on top.
  • No shortcuts to do basic things like change presets.
  • the fx button that brings up the gui is tiny.
  • The midi editor is rudimentary.
  • No tabs for annotating ideas (or songs in S1 parlance).
  • It takes at least 30 sec to log in, and get to a screen with a fresh clean window to start work, killing creativity.
  • Many 32-bit plugins didn't work (didn't dare trying 64-bit).

Red_Force wrote: (note : Ohm Studio's CM speaking... :P )
Respect to my fellow Cloud herder :D
Red_Force wrote:We use AWS and AFAIK there has been 0% downtime during beta that was caused by them. So far we can say that it works as well as they advertise.

Our uptime is pretty solid actually. It's 100% since release (except the occasional fast maintenance reboot) although we had a few traffic spikes. And it was rougly 99% during the 16 months long Beta.
Fair enough... It really comes down to which services you're using, and if that involves EC2 instances, whether you're buying the good ones with high network performance, provisioned IOPs, etc... In the past month I've seen the EC2 services(EBS, compute, etc...) in the us-west-1 data center have 2 really bad days...

/end-thread-hijack

urlwolf wrote: [*]Plugins always on top.
What do you mean ? Plugin works like in other DAWs regarding this.
[*]No shortcuts to do basic things like change presets.
Acknowledged, on the todo list.
[*]the fx button that brings up the gui is tiny.
Just double click the plug.
[*]The midi editor is rudimentary.
Depending on when you tested it, it made quite some progress (velocity line, various humanize, quantize, inspectors operations, import and export midi....). it sill lacks CC automation controle.
[*]No tabs for annotating ideas (or songs in S1 parlance).
You mean opening several arrangement at once ?
[*]It takes at least 30 sec to log in, and get to a screen with a fresh clean window to start work, killing creativity.
30 sec is abnormally high. I would say that it's my time to go software closed to software opened on a new empty project. This will improve a lot in an update this year, but it's already faster than say, Studio One on my rig.

[*]Many 32-bit plugins didn't work (didn't dare trying 64-bit).
Can you mention them ? The current known list of non working plugins is pretty much the Waves, and another one i am not remembering right now. Typically people don't find their plug because the name doesn't display as they would expect, or they use filters when their plug actually doesn't tell whether it's an fx or an instrument, but it's there. And of course you have the people who uses 64b plugs without realising Ohm Studio is 32 bits only for now.

just started to use Ohm Studio, usually using beloved Reaper...
i also find the workflow quite difficult to get around, but i also know that there is potential in learning how to use stuff.

first thing which for me is a total minus:
zooming in and out of my project and moving on the timeline (which i find one of the absolutely fundamental things to do, just like zooming and moving in photoshop) is a pain. to zoom in i have to go to the top bar, and there finally i'm allowed to use my mousewheel to zoom, but then the animation is soooo slow that i have to put a LOT of effort to get where i want to.
This for me is a bit of a general thing: there is too much animation for my eyes and its slow. at least it feels slow :)

the piano roll keys are way to small and i could accept the inline editor, if it would be handy. zooming in vertically also increases the size of the track and the others, or maybe i'm confused now :)

love the idea of ohm studio and i love the usability of reaper (also because i can assign my own key commands)

i'm sure ohm force can fix anything :) love the stuff you guys do! <3 <3 <3

elxsound wrote:I still find it interesting that this garnered very little attention here on KVR (in comparison to other DAW's).
maybe cause the interface is ugly as hell. how many people actually like the color yellow let alone a gui pasted in bright yellow. type in 'i hate the color yellow' in google. exactly.

and,
The most popular color in the world is blue. The second favorite colors are red and green, followed by orange, brown and purple. Yellow is the least favorite color, preferred by only five per cent of people. and whats with the danger tape.

calm blue is my favorite color.

bumble bee approved. bleh.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”