Why do people even buy Samplitude?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Samplitude Music Studio X8 Samplitude Pro X

trimph1 wrote: Do you really judge your music by the GUI?! Really? :shock:
No, certainly not my music. But my daily virtual workplace. I want to please my eyes as well, not only my ears. Just like with a car, where I don't just want an object to get me from A to B, but also something nice to look at when I get in, plus something I feel good in driving down the road.

This has to do with satisfying all (or several) of our senses, not just one of them.

Which is why I would never buy a Valhalla reverb, no matter how good it is. The Valhalla GUIs are simply too downright ugly for me to even look at them, let alone use them on a daily basis.

I'm a visual artist as well as musician,
so I need devices that appeal to me in looks too.
Valhalla are not eye-candy,
but vector is kinda cool,
there minimalism is a certain aesthetic in itself.
If you can bend your aesthetic to encompass perfectly drawn,
simple things- then you have a larger pool of devices.
I like 3d rendered stuff,
but also I can deal with simple UIs.
Cheers
Of course you are perfectly entitled to ur own taste,
but I wanted to share mine/my view.

I don't know the editing MIDI in Sonar so I can't add anything to that.

But I really don't think audio playbacks would make a HUGE difference. Sure maybe there are differences to the 'ear' but shouldn't the output would be same in every one of the DAWs?

And I too think GUI matters. I really can't improvise if Live is front of me. I don't know it's just seems too mechanic and I feel like I'm in the wrong place. Hearing countless times over a year how Live is made for DJ'ing and Electronic based music I don't feel well in it composing. Another reaso for that is MIDI Editor's lack of visual effects. Sure it was probably optimized that way in order to boost performance BUT without any shadow effects on the NOTE buttons at the left of the editor and the notes itself I can't relate to it emotionally. But I'm fast in Live and I do what I would like to without having a pain in my ass. So emotional sides of things do matter, depending on your workflow.

And a little advice to all, I don't have any source but I remember a citement in an article that said the color blue boosts the creative sides of our brain. It might be the true considering how our ancestors liked writing, thinking looking at the sea and sky. That might be the reason itself why that blue color would effect us.

You know what would be pretty much a 'yeah I'll switch when I can afford to' for me regarding Samplitude? ARA for Melodyne implementation, I have gotten rather fond of it in SONAR X3 which offers a very limited but still useful (enough to make me want more in a nutshell) clip/object specific effects/automation, It is nowhere near the level which Samp/Seq offer. ARA could make it as perfect as I could want/need

For me personally I can not stress the importance of audio editing being crucial to my workflow. So my next solid combo to last me easily as long as Pro Tools and Live have might well be Samplitude and Live (I'll mention Bitwig as I can never say never as an extremely remote chance it takes favour over Ableton Live... but I sincerely doubt I'll switch to that quite honestly, I'm really set in my ways and I rarely change anything in my setup that isn't broken)

I know that it could of not even been mentioned before but any of you Samp/Seq veterans heard/read anything on the boards/forums of ARA implantation just on the off chance?

Thanks in advance gentlemen even if it a resounding no not yet :)

Dean

Skorpius wrote:
mewthree wrote: Every DAWs are same practically.
Where did you get that from??? This is like saying "every car is the same".

A few examples:

- Editing Midi in Sonar is a disaster compared to Cubase or Studio One.
- Editing Midi in Motu's DP is a disaster compared to Cubase or Studio One.
- Try to set different Midi channels for different instrument tracks in Cubase: this is simply impossible - unlike Samplitude ProX or Studio One, where this is a child's play.
- Compare the audio quality of Samplitude (and Studio One) to that of Cubase: you'll most definitely notice a huge difference.
- Try splitting a single audio track in several slices and put different effects on each of the slices. You can do so in Samplitude, but you can't in Cubase or other DAWs.
- Compare the Midi randomizing features of Samplitude to those of Studio One or even Cubase: It'll be then, at the latest, that you'll know what a high-quality Midi editor is able to achieve.
Boy am I glad you turned up to sort that out. For a moment, I thought we were going to be swayed into thinking every single DAW was exactly the same as every other one. And yet clearly they have absolutely nothing whatsoever in common at all. Whooo, that mewthree guy must feel foolish now.

And thanks for listing two or three subjective opinions, and a couple of feature differences as evidence. Up until now I'd naively thought a car was a car, but since my mate thinks his VW is a nicer colour, and it has a rear window heater and a cupholder, its clear there's no possibility one car is practically like another car for any level of comparison.

Again, cheers. And thanks for finishing with such a resoundingly informed precis of the 'professionalism' of given software. If only we had more people to tell us what is properly 'serious,' 'quality,' and 'professional', because not having that made clear is probably the biggest fundamental problem with music today.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:You know what would be pretty much a 'yeah I'll switch when I can afford to' for me regarding Samplitude? ARA for Melodyne implementation, I have gotten rather fond of it in SONAR X3 which offers a very limited but still useful (enough to make me want more in a nutshell) clip/object specific effects/automation, It is nowhere near the level which Samp/Seq offer. ARA could make it as perfect as I could want/need

For me personally I can not stress the importance of audio editing being crucial to my workflow. So my next solid combo to last me easily as long as Pro Tools and Live have might well be Samplitude and Live (I'll mention Bitwig as I can never say never as an extremely remote chance it takes favour over Ableton Live... but I sincerely doubt I'll switch to that quite honestly, I'm really set in my ways and I rarely change anything in my setup that isn't broken)

I know that it could of not even been mentioned before but any of you Samp/Seq veterans heard/read anything on the boards/forums of ARA implantation just on the off chance?

Dean
ARA implementation has been discussed and requested, but no idea as to what a Magix' development priorities are.
For me the native pitch features are good enough ( if the damn singer can't sing in tune, then get another singer - and I don't need to do any gender changes or build backup singer harmonies).

I have experience with going back and forth between Live and Samplitude, and found myself doing all my audio editing in Samplitude (very good), and then just dropping the loops into Live's cells in arranger mode for a live theater production I worked on. I dug VERY deep into Lives features, and still found Samplitude to be way ahead of the game in most regards.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

whyterabbyt wrote: Boy am I glad you turned up to sort that out. For a moment, I thought we were going to be swayed into thinking every single DAW was exactly the same as every other one. And yet clearly they have absolutely nothing whatsoever in common at all. Whooo, that mewthree guy must feel foolish now.

And thanks for listing two or three subjective opinions, and a couple of feature differences as evidence. Up until now I'd naively thought a car was a car, but since my mate thinks his VW is a nicer colour, and it has a rear window heater and a cupholder, its clear there's no possibility one car is practically like another car for any level of comparison.

Again, cheers. And thanks for finishing with such a resoundingly informed precis of the 'professionalism' of given software. If only we had more people to tell us what is properly 'serious,' 'quality,' and 'professional', because not having that made clear is probably the biggest fundamental problem with music today.
Thank you for your highly intellectual answer. How boring would such a thread be without someone like you clearing things up and leaving their sarcastic comments on regular answers which follow the netiquette? If you have problems with other people having other opinions, a forum might not be an ideal place for you to hang around.

Besides, if you attempt to quote me, you'd better do it correctly: I never claimed that any of us was "going to be swayed into thinking every single DAW..." I merely said that making an oversimplified statement A is comparable to making another oversimplified statement B. But maybe this was a little too difficult for you to understand?

Last but not least, with regard to the professionalism of the DAW, I go by what products are used in professional studios. This is a very simple and generally approved benchmark. Now this should not be too difficult to grasp, should it?

Skorpius wrote:Thank you for your highly intellectual answer. How boring would such a thread be without someone like you clearing things up and leaving their sarcastic comments on regular answers which follow the netiquette?
Oh, is it 'the netiquette' to disingenously respond to a broad generalisation as though it were literal, and then use quite obviously fallacious arguments to attack it?
I mean Ive seen that 'netiquette' for a while, I just didnt realise it was 'the netiquette'.
If you have problems with other people having other opinions, a forum might not be an ideal place for you to hang around.
Have you considered telling that to the guy I was replying to? I think he's got more of an issue with it than myself, TBH.
Besides, if you attempt to quote me, you'd better do it correctly: I never claimed that any of us was "going to be swayed into thinking every single DAW...
If I attempt to quote you I pretty much will do it correctly, thanks.
But if you're going to attempt to tell me I'm quoting you, you better get it right that I was. And yet, nothing in my post at that point that would highlight it in any way as an attempt to quote you.
Maybe you'd like to read it again.
" I merely said that making an oversimplified statement A is comparable to making another oversimplified statement B. But maybe this was a little too difficult for you to understand?
Nope. Except for the fact that your 'merely saying' compared 'practically the same' to 'the same' didnt it? And then took the opportunity to pounce on a few point sof low-level detail/implementation stuff that was pretty much excluded by the use of 'practically'.
Pretty disingenuous, really.
Last but not least, with regard to the professionalism of the DAW, I go by what products are used in professional studios. T
According to which statistic surveys?
This is a very simple and generally approved benchmark.Now this should not be too difficult to grasp, should it?
How about you provide some references for that benchmark, and we'll see what's difficult to grasp? Let's start with the metric for 'professional studios'.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: If I attempt to quote you I pretty much will do it correctly, thanks.
But if you're going to attempt to tell me I'm quoting you, you better get it right that I was.
???

Could somebody translate this for me, please?

Whyterabbyt, you're quite obivously one of those people who can't even sleep if they don't have the final word. Congratulations, you've won! I have nothing more to say to respond to your brilliancy.

I prefer spending my time on conversations without cheap sarcasm and would-be arguments.

I'm out - and can't even be bothered to read your answer to this, which you most certainly can't stand to not give. You need your final word, don't you?

siriusbliss wrote:
Dean Aka Nekro wrote:You know what would be pretty much a 'yeah I'll switch when I can afford to' for me regarding Samplitude? ARA for Melodyne implementation, I have gotten rather fond of it in SONAR X3 which offers a very limited but still useful (enough to make me want more in a nutshell) clip/object specific effects/automation, It is nowhere near the level which Samp/Seq offer. ARA could make it as perfect as I could want/need

Dean
ARA implementation has been discussed and requested, but no idea as to what a Magix' development priorities are.
For me the native pitch features are good enough ( if the damn singer can't sing in tune, then get another singer - and I don't need to do any gender changes or build backup singer harmonies).

I have experience with going back and forth between Live and Samplitude, and found myself doing all my audio editing in Samplitude (very good), and then just dropping the loops into Live's cells in arranger mode for a live theater production I worked on. I dug VERY deep into Lives features, and still found Samplitude to be way ahead of the game in most regards.

G
Thanks Greg for the reply, Good to hear it has been brought up. Indeed I never settle for sub-par takes nor use melodyne for building up virtual backing vocals or such. It is just one of those tools that I 'go to' and always have gotten results which I've been extremely happy with against any of the other available solutions. That's why I like the SONAR X3 implementation as it lets me separate only the small offensive half a word or note without having to load a larger portion into it and rapidly correct them, I kind of didn't know how much time I wasted loading up audio into melodyne before X3. I use it on bass guitar perhaps almost as much as I do on vocals with the low tunings, It can really help or at least has done for me, It just lets me pull things in tighter that makes quite a difference with those big flabby bowel emptying notes which via palm muting for example can go sour around 10 - 15 cent. Anyway I'm not trying to preach here so I won't rattle on anymore dude

Nice one :tu:

Dean

I've had reaper, fl studio, ableton, s1, cubase, sonar
tried dp and others

got samp and stopped looking.

Nothing wrong with the others cept sonar

you like using what you like using

Nevertheless, Samplitude DOES have Elastic Audio for fixing tuning, etc.
Works well on vocals, and I've used it on sax and trumpet with good results.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

I find Sonar relatively better than S1 in terms of MIDI editing, and I like Valhalla Room more than S1 in terms of GUI. Interesting how our perceptions differ :)

I also tried Reaper and DP8 but they weren't for me. My favorite DAW at the moment is Sonar X3 both feature and GUI-wise. But I'm still interested in Samplitude.
SONAR X3e & Studio One Producer 2.6.2

@Skorpiuos....That is why I keep thinking we need to rid ourselves of the dominance of the eye. :cry:

Look at Bars and Pipes for example....the idea of a 'professional looking DAW is a recent one. There is a history here....

The only thing I worry about here i whether it will work. :shrug:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Kraznet wrote:The object editor is a big reason to have Samplitude.
yep !! want that sh*t sooooo bad :(

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”