Rob Papen Blue II ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Blue 3

DHR53 wrote:Hmmm... Two questions:
1. Is it the same cpu wise? Since everything these days seems to be more cpu intensive under the guise of being more powerful.

2. Will 1 still run after upgrading to 2?

:)
still very easy on cpu - maybe a touch more than v1 ( espec with the new hq reverb enabled) but not a cpu eater like diva/diversion etc

v1 still runs fine - it installs to a different directory (blue2). Be aware though that after the upgrade I ONLY see blue2 in my rob papen user area, serial no for v1 (and links to installers) vanish. I guess they presume 'why would you run the old one' - but a/bing the same patches in v1 and v2 they do sound different (due to the updated filters) - so basically make sure you have the v1 installers downloaded and your serial no. recorded before buying the upgrade

DHR53 wrote:Hmmm... Two questions:
1. Is it the same cpu wise? Since everything these days seems to be more cpu intensive under the guise of being more powerful.

2. Will 1 still run after upgrading to 2?

:)
Not sure about question 1, but 2 is a yes. Rob says both can run side by side, and Blue 2 can also open Blue 1 presets.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Has the audio engine been updated? i.e. better antialiasing?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Has the audio engine been updated? i.e. better antialiasing?
As far as I know, Jon has discovered another method for removing aliasing, that is why there are no oversampling options. So yes to your answer.

What i really like is how warm it sounds. Absolutely nothing like my Largo (but i like it too)

Sendy wrote:Has the audio engine been updated? i.e. better antialiasing?
He said in another thread that there was improvements to the oscillators as well as the filters. The oversampling is set to 4x internally. There used to be an option to go from 1x to 4x but apparently the cpu isn't much different so it's always 4x now.

Definitely more warmth. More Oomph also.
Oomph.

bought mine today but still haven't received the download info. says to wait for 48 hours. kinda odd. out of stock? :hihi:

konXfront wrote:bought mine today but still haven't received the download info. says to wait for 48 hours. kinda odd. out of stock? :hihi:
Ran out of 1s and 0s

konXfront wrote:bought mine today but still haven't received the download info. says to wait for 48 hours. kinda odd. out of stock? :hihi:
They are assembling the next batch tonight, Jon told me secretly.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

You have to do this manually. Create an account first.

EDGEK8D wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
EDGEK8D wrote: I've been chomping at the bit to jump into FM synthesis with a proper FM synth. I've got all of the major players in the realm of subtractive......but I'm not an NI guy. Though I did pick up Monark for $50 over the holidays, which was smart.

The Blue 2 website is surprising light on information. Just kind of talks about lots of filters and being able to do FM and subtractive yada, yada, yada.

Straight up, as an FM synth only, how does this compare to FM8. I'm not interested in its subtractive abilities
You sound churlish, and like you are expecting others to do your homework for you.

Did you go as far as looking to the Nam demo that Rob did?

You have heard of some great new synth. The new second coming. But you don't quite know why that is. But you want others to explain it to you. And you don't even ask nicely.

FM. This is so much more than an FM synth. Why compare it to FM8? That is just silly. You aren't interested in its subtractive capabilities? But that is integral to the synth in the main.

Yada yada yada.

If you want an FM only synth, why don't you try to get a DX-7 or something.

You have a really arrogant attitude.
I have no idea what that was all about, but anyways let's move on without derailing things into needless silly attacks...

EDGEK8D, your question was completely normal and reasonable, especially given that there is no demo for Blue II so I'll try to give some thoughts. I think the main difference is the sound. FM8 has a more traditional, DX7 inspired sound. It sounds more "digital" than Blue which has a thicker juicier sound, and can do subtractive well because of the variety of filters and lots of waveforms, waveshaping, pwm and other oscillator shaping functions. FM8 has some cool tricks like the morph square which can morph between entire patches. Blue's new square is really an oscillator cross-fader if I understand correctly, also with an XY mopdulator that can record movements. Blue 2 also has sample content now.

Both good synths with pretty fully featured FM capabilities (especially now that Blue has a fully assignable matrix), just different characters. Might be worth watching as many videos as you can on both.

Codec sees I have 5 posts here, so was thinking of hazing me a bit. :roll: I'm just not on this forum much preferring the TONE of others a bit more.

Thanks for your reply. Exactly what I was after. I am pretty experienced with subtractive synthesis. I just don't want to have to buy both of these. I have too many already.

While Blue looks really attractive as a whole, I think I' am going with FM8. For $99 right now, the more traditional FM is what I'm after.

Don't sweat it codec, we all read a post through tinted glasses once in a while I guess. :dog:
Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.

I read a post by CompyFox recently and he totally lost his grip on reality with what the dude was saying. He was accusing him of saying the very thing he was not. And CompyFox is a lot less demented than me, overall. :-)

Happens.

Anyway, what ever you do. Do NOT buy FM8. You will regret it massively. At least demo before you buy. These two synths are not in the same league. They are both a very different experience.

Don't let the 'FM' tag sway you. Really. Close your eyes. Listen. The complexity of FM8 is horrendous. Blue is logical in its complexity. Blue can sound like a Virus. It can sound analog. Phat, Fat and Warm. Full, even.

FM8 flatters to deceive.

Blue has a richness all its own, never matched by any other VST. Those that own it and own lots of other synths will back me up I'm sure. It's a true one off. Like some other synths I won't mention, coz you know, politics...

I have tested Blue II now , For me personal, it's not nothing extraordinary. I have Zebra 2, Diva and Alchemy and I think it's good but now the ultimate WOW effect like Aalto Release. The release of Kaivo is more wow than this personally. This is a very high quality synth which use also samples for the sound generation.

Good job Rob Papen ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:I have tested Blue II now , For me personal, it's not nothing extraordinary. I have Zebra 2, Diva and Alchemy and I think it's good but now the ultimate WOW effect like Aalto Release. The release of Kaivo is more wow than this personally. This is a very high quality synth which use also samples for the sound generation.

Good job Rob Papen ;)

Ach. I was going to buy it tonight.

They never got back to me with an upgrade price, even if it was to just say there is no upgrade. I would have bought it anyway!

Oh well.

Give it a miss now. Top gear though.

I have Albino and Spectral. Plus Blue LE doesn't seem to be crippled at all apart from being limited to 8 voices.

Very disappointed in the customer support though. It's not like I wasn't prepared to pay top dollar.

I wasn't expecting much of a discount, you know, but I didn't expect to get totally ignored too.

Dear me.

Glad to hear the oscillators were improved. Though they sounded great for their time, the aliasing could get pretty hairy when you used wavefolding and phase distortion. Completely understandable at the time but these days I'm used to being spoiled.

I also found that the oversampling options in Blue 1 didn't really satisfy, they changed the sound too much and sometimes didn't really help cut down on aliasing; so I'm glad that feature has been ditched.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Glad to hear the oscillators were improved. Though they sounded great for their time, the aliasing could get pretty hairy when you used wavefolding and phase distortion. Completely understandable at the time but these days I'm used to being spoiled.

I also found that the oversampling options in Blue 1 didn't really satisfy, they changed the sound too much and sometimes didn't really help cut down on aliasing; so I'm glad that feature has been ditched.
Hasn't been ditched. Is set to 4x oversampling now.

Return to “Instruments”