New incredible Voice doubling plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ADT

It looks like Waves is finally attempting to muscle in on this plugin's territory.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/reel-adt?u ... t-overview

And now I'm itching to hear a shootout between VacuumSound's and Waves' versions.

I don't understand why Waves is claiming to be the first plugin to do this, when this freebie has a solid six year lead on it... Oh well.

It may not have a fancy GUI, it may not have modern format cross-compatibility, but damned if it doesn't work great - and he doesn't fluff up what it actually does to the audio, either. I think that's sort of silly on Waves' part. The magic of slightly miscalibrated capstans and ancient, tape delay based chorus effects! :p

Funny how the more expensive the plugin, the more vague the information on what it does to the audio. :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Agreed wrote:I don't understand why Waves is claiming to be the first plugin to do this, when this freebie has a solid six year lead on it... Oh well.
Actually, Line6's GearBox (now PODfarm) has a mod-delay module that was capable of pulling off ADT (as technique) over 10 years ago - you just need to know how to mix "alongside" the original track (people sure are lazy these days). And before that, UAD could do this with the Roland Space Echo. IIRC, even MDA DubDelay was capable of that. And the TAL Dub II delay module is also listed on KVR since 2008.

Every delay that can be modulated (LFO -> Delay time), or is already modulating due to a "simulated drift" (wobble) can pull this off.

Waves are not reinventing the wheel, they only insist that they were the first to do that. Maybe back in the days in hardware form, no thanks an adventurous Beatles member. But plugin wise, that can be done for quite a while now.

BTW:
ADT by Vacuum Sound is now crossplatform and x64 - at least according to the official webpage. But nice to see an old thread being revived. This time from 2012, with the original post being from 2008.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Haha, woe betide anyone who gets remotely fast and loose with their terminology around Compyfox. I mean this plugin is a precursor even in the ad copy department, as it specifically references doing the Abbey Roads ADT technique. It's more honest about specifically what it is (though watching the Waves demo video, the audio engineer is perfectly clear and fluent in the correct terminology - you can tell that whatever one's opinion of Waves' ad copy/hype, they do certainly employ competent folks for their specific roles in the company) - and, by industry standards, the ad copy's not even THAT hype-y, I mean, let's be real, you spend that much buying the rights, you're gonna get everything you can out of BEATLES ABBEY ROAD ORIGINAL AUTHENTIC TAPE MODEL! kinda stuff.

You're very technically correct. You're also very technically correct. I mean both of those phrases as a compliment. Your precision is appreciated. :)

I take that as a compliment. :tu:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I use ADT all the time.
I guess the only difference is the Waves version has a fancy GUI and will process stereo.
Although ADT does stereo too.

osiris wrote:I use ADT all the time.
I guess the only difference is the Waves version has a fancy GUI and will process stereo.
Although ADT does stereo too.
You can also wire up a couple of ADT instances with your favourite Tape Emu in something like Metaplugin for a pretty complete emulation...

But you won't get the pretty pictures!!! :hihi:

It's a VERY nice GUI, and it makes me wonder if the Schwa guys are working for Waves now?
My only complaint about ADT, or doublers in general is you get weird panning. But I guess that's how they work. The only thing I see different on the Waves is a Drv knob, which I assume is Drive...

When I saw the new plugin I had the same thoughts as above. Seems llike Waves is trampling on a classic freebie. Or improving, I guess.

Improving seems a stretch, did you listen to the half-hour demo vid? When they use the "drive" on it sounds kinda like they're clipping, I dunno, a NPN transistor gain stage in a console that wasn't meant to be driven over a given level (bad clipping, not good clipping) as opposed to running hot to tape. Just my ears and my opinion, but it does not stand out to me as a really good tape emulation in terms of saturation behavior. It's definitely clipping of some kind, that's for sure...!

Just tried the plugin in Logic and I love it. It might be a nice alternative when I don't want to play with the Ozone's stereo imaging.

Hi! I am a recording singer/songwriter from Finland.

I managed to download the right ADT plugin through vacuumsound and the plugin is supposed to be on its right place together with the other effects. But when I put the ADT plugin effect on my track I can not hear any kind of difference with the original track?
Does anyone know why is that? Anyone had similar problems? Should I change something in particular so it would work? I know that ADT should somehow recreate a doubletracking sound but this didn't do ANYTHING :? :( .

I usually record with an another music software program but audacity lets easily free plugins on its system so I decided to use the ADT on it. Thank you very much if anyone of You have a real solution to this problem!

You have to use it on a stereo channel, is that what you are doing?

Judging because of the videos.. it sounds very natural and can also sound more like a effect (phasing, flanging, slap effect). After the Soundtoys Microshift and Waves Doubler... a completely different implementation/idea which sounds also different enough to make it interesting... Not bad and I must definitely grab the demo :)

Return to “Effects”