What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
codec_spurt
KVRAF
 
3462 posts since 20 Sep, 2005

Postby codec_spurt; Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:54 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Burillo wrote:i never meant your thread to be a holy war, i referred to "holy wars" as a general term for the kinds of threads i mentioned. besides, you asked if i used Windows 7 (in quite a few words, i must add, and being quite on the offensive about that), i satisfied your curiosity. i might have misunderstood your tone to be agressive, if so, i apologize.

Windows 7 happens to work for me, and has done so since i switched to Windows 7 about 4 years ago. on a personal note, i can't understand what's so hard about an upgrade from XP to 7, but then again i'm not your average Joe in terms of computer usage prowess, so what do i know. all i can do is watch people suffer and do in a hurry what they should've done years ago already if they were in any way future-conscious. y'all knew this would happen, so why did everyone wait for so long? you (not you personally, but those who are screaming about the WinXP EOL) thought that if you closed your eyes for long enough this won't happen?

as for virtual folders, i think i know what you're referring to. save the files in "Documents". problem solved. these virtual folders only work when the program tries to write somewhere outside your user directory. sorry for misunderstanding.


Oh. Ok, about the holy wars.

Yes, maybe my tone is aggressive at times. Combative even. But I have never layed a finger on another. Unlike JJ Burnel, the bass player from the stanglers and a well known critic beater. I am not such.

As for your use of win7. Well, I can not help but watch you gloat. What a gloater you are.

You come across as all superior. I am curious to know what your field is. Is it programming? Design? Exactly what?

I never believed in the school of 'passive aggressive' till I read your post. But now, I think you might be one.

I think if you would like to keep digging deeper, then you will bury yourself some more.

And if windows 7 works for you, then I know that you are someone that does not mind using four mouse strokes, when only one will do. You identify yourself very easily sir, and with pride. Need I say more?
You'll be pleased to know, I'm knocking it all on the head.
C-note
KVRian
 
1440 posts since 2 Apr, 2006, from Studio City, California

Postby C-note; Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

codec_spurt wrote:
Burillo wrote:finally. you retrogrades always keep screaming and kicking while we drag you into the future.



That's pretty funny. As in, it made me laugh. And I see the humour in what you are saying.

But have you ever used windows7 at all? Maybe you are a mac or linux user.

If you come back and tell me you use win7, my whole attitude towards you will change.

Really, you don't use win7 do you? Serious question. Would love to know.

I think you are just being super ironic because you have never left win98. Or ME perhaps? 95?

;-)

I use Win XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Linux and OSX MAV. I develop in Win 7/8 (SQL Server/C++,C#, VFP,DOS,Web) and OSX (Objective C,WEB).

Unless you can embrace limitations forget Linux, not enough demand for most devs to expend valuable resources.

Embrace the future...tech is not going back unless forced to, get used to it.

DOS is KING! :tu:
Last edited by C-note on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
 
3218 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:24 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Windows XP will die in April? Really??

Well, if I find myself with an un-bootable OS I will be forced to install Win 7, I guess. But I think this XP will work just as nicely after April. :)

And yes, I would :love: to use Linux for audio, too, but the problem is there isn't so many plugins [that I collected throughout the years and love so much] for it. So XP x86 stays on this PC forever, I guess. Too many projects using extremely difficult plugins to find and there are no x64 versions of them. Linux for Internet and everything else here. Ubuntu Studio currently. ;)

Windows 8? Naah. Not touching that.

Imagine the most beautiful woman that comes to your mind and imagine her asking you to come over to her place for a "drink". That's how it feels to use Linux for me. Free, man. Free. The feeling is incomparable. And the freaking GUI stays the same for as long as you use the same X-windows shell. Simple. No trying to find the control panel, or sound settings, or device manager... it's always in a different place on different versions of Windows for *no obvious reason*. Microsoft likes to give an impression of their new OSes have been worked on a lot, so everything has to be in different places and look as different as it can, but what they don't tell you is that the kernel is the good old Windows NT from 1993 [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT] just a bit "spiced up". Microsoft is the biggest BS company in the world that made loads of money on selling BS to the gullible people who can't think for themselves.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
User avatar
Zombie Queen
KVRAF
 
3324 posts since 1 Aug, 2005, from where butter flies

Postby Zombie Queen; Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:50 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

eidenk wrote:It'll be interesting to see what happens to XP after support ends with regards to activation.


I read somewhere, some MS official was claiming nothing will change with activation, it will be still required they will still activate. Forgot the link.
User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
 
3218 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:56 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Of course nothing will change. Nothing will change. Except that you won't get any security updates. Is that so disturbing??? I'm not worried at all. Because If you use your XP for audio only you shouldn't be worried at all. Actually I would go as far as saying you shouldn't be worried at all even if you use Internet with XP because viruses and malware target the OSes there are the greatest number of. Don't listen to what the well paid "experts" say. MS [still] has loads of money to pay for whatever kind of advertisement they want. And they're sinking... lower and lower, if you're not "in the current flow". I don't think MS is the future of computing any more. Forget about it. They're sinking. Leave the sinking ship while you can. Stay with the OS for audio you can use and which gives you the best for your needs. Probably XP and Windows 7 for the majority of people. The last MS OSes that are somewhat usable. Linux with real-time kernel will and is burying all of these regarding low latency performance and CPU efficiency. Don't even start me on OS-X... that's even worse BS even though it's based on the excellent FreeBSD kernel. The krap that Apple put on top of it is so overwhelming that their OS is the least efficient and least fast of them all. Apple sells nice graphics as well as Microsoft, not great OSes that you can use for efficient CPU processing. Scientists now that best since scientists mostly use Linux or other UNIX OSes for their scientific software like FreeBSD or NetBSD.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
2638 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

WOK wrote:Never change a running system.


I agree. My system is working great and I never change it. Here is a screenshot of my desktop:

Image
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
 
3218 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:26 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Is that supposed to make anyone feel bad, Frantz? It's childish. If you do have a stable and running OS why would you change that? It's illogical. Isn't the point of having a computer to make music having a running and stable computer? No matter the OS. The point of updating blindly because your TV and thought challenged friends say so is ridiculous. People are still making music with Atari computers and analog sequencers. In fact it's a trend. So why would anyone change a working XP that doesn't give him any trouble for something else and possibly buggier and troublesome? Your point is utterly ridiculous. It's what I [and others] call "update for the sake of updating" because you know no better. People like you are the ones who buy new mobile phones just because your neighbour has a newer one. I still have a Nokia from 2006 and I can't tell you where it is exactly since I don't use the krap at all because it just creeps me out [mobile phones]. I don't give a f with what I make my music with, for just as long as it is stable and working. it could be a Commodore 64 for all that I care. You really don't understand anything, don't you? It's all about the shiny nice icons, animations and pictures to you? All I care about is not getting interrupted by a stupid OS at any time. All I care about is about getting the work done without any trouble and in my experience neither Windows 7 nor 8 deliver in that department. Copy a freaking DLL file to your VST folder and run your DAW! So many people don't know how to do a simplest thing like this! It's appalling. So much trouble to install and run any program, for what? I don't care about security of my OS since I use Linux for Internet. I just use the crappy MS OS that is XP for audio because there is no other choice. Money grabbing corporations have decided all this nicely for all of us and you and the majority of people, some paid to do the advertisement, just nicely go with it. I'm completely alright with your kind doing it, but please don't preach your "update for the sake of update and wasting money for nothing" philosophy to others. Keep it to yourself. Don't be a corporate puppet and a mind challenged fanboy.
Last edited by DuX on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
2638 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:50 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

DuX wrote:Is that supposed to feel anyone bad, Frantz? It's childish.
.
.
.
You really don't understand anything, don't you? It's all about the shiny nice icons, animations and pictures to you?


You are overreacting. I was joking. I haven't made any serious statements in this thread.
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
 
3218 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:52 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Never mind. I think what I wrote is useful for people to read anyway. Sorry if I offended you, I truly am. I got carried away. I do have a tendency to overreact. :) That's because I'm very depressed with the state of computing these days. I was so much more hopeful a decade ago or more... the state it is in these days is an absolute disaster regarding software, but also smells of a turning point of some kind. Usually turning points smell bad but turn out good. ;)
Last edited by DuX on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
2638 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:58 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

DuX wrote:Never mind. I think what I wrote is useful for people to read anyway. Sorry if I offended you. I got carried away. :)


No offense taken. I didn't actually read your posts before.

DuX wrote:I don't care about security of my OS since I use Linux for Internet.


Yes. The only reason to upgrade is because of security concerns. If you are on Linux for internet, you are running the best OS from a security perspective. :tu:
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
 
3218 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:01 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Yeah, 1% of the people use Linux for Internet. :) That's why it's safe. Then again, If I used NetBSD I would be even more safe, but that would be really pushing it too far. :lol: or not? ... I used to admin a NetBSD network years ago. That thing is freaking powerful when it comes to networking, but Linux is better for audio and Windows and OSX are a joke... but a joke we are forced to live with.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
2638 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:11 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

DuX wrote:Yeah, 1% of the people use Linux for Internet. :) That's why it's safe.


Exactly. At this moment I am posting from a Linux Lite distro (a Lubuntu spinoff I think) running in VMWare inside Windows 7. It sort of works when VMWare is not freezing. :?

DuX wrote:Then again, If I used NetBSD I would be even more safe, but that would be really pushing it too far. :lol: or not? ...


Yeah BSD is probably better from a security perspective but you've got to be hardcore to go there because their GUIs look like Windows 98. :)
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
 
3218 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:23 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Ha! Caught you there... so is it about functionality or pretty icons and windows? ;) There lies the problem with the new generation of people - too dependent on looks and not thinking deeper. I could easily use NetBSD at any time. I'm not bound by the looks of it. If I need security I would use just about anything that is great and secure, no matter the looks. Same with audio plugins... some plugins look great but have a shitty DSP underneath and there are some extraordinary gems that have a really bad looking GUI or non at all that have an absolutely astonishing audio DSP in them. People are so easily deceived by the looks these days. You can apply what I just said to so many different things, other than plugins. From food to the choice of your partner, to your choice of car and even kitchen table. :hihi: There is a huge difference between looks and reliability or durability or the amount of nutrients [regarding veg] in every aspect of our lives.
Last edited by DuX on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
User avatar
arkmabat
KVRAF
 
2232 posts since 5 Nov, 2009

Postby arkmabat; Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

After 2014 we must accept that the only supported OS (that isn't hacked by the NSA) will be Linux and BSD variants...
User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
 
3218 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 pm Re: What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Yap. Only open source software is to be trusted without any afterthoughts and easily checked for any backdoors. I tend to believe that's the main reason why people will jump the ship rather rapidly in the next few years. Especially those who use computers for just Internet and office krap. That's like 95% of the people if I'm not mistaken. :hihi: It actually already started and I know people who would never think of using Linux before install it and use it [Ubuntu...]. Luckily, they don't use their computers for audio. I'm not saying that Linux is unusable for audio though. There are plenty of apps and plugins you can use with it, but I'm stuck with what I have and bought and collected for years and years. It's a very sad situation, actually. I wish I never installed this Windows krap on my computer and just stayed with Linux. I wish my mind was broader thinking at the time... but hey - we're all stupid and learning all the time, more or less. Some people just can't accept that they're stupid and refuse to learn. Make that majority of people.
Last edited by DuX on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Computer Setup and System Configuration