VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

Hi all

I'm after a sound like Quince:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAsQEfwYGWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivEZakycWaQ

What synths would you suggest? I'm thinking of Diva. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :tu:

i heard nothing special that you couldn't do with any decent sounding subtractive VA even in the free sector.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:i heard nothing special that you couldn't do with any decent sounding subtractive VA even in the free sector.
Thanks murnau. So you would say that really learning something like Analog (Ableton) would be wise?

futuremoves wrote:
murnau wrote:i heard nothing special that you couldn't do with any decent sounding subtractive VA even in the free sector.
Thanks murnau. So you would say that really learning something like Analog (Ableton) would be wise?
yes of course, learning is the key. subtractive isn't hard to understand and then the used VA is secondary.
of course when your skills progress you will naturally favour this or that.

and sure there is nothing bad with ableton analog but also check those great free gems like tyrell,noisemaker,synth1,oatmeal,podolski and and and.. ;)

ps. and to answer your original question Diva can of course do this and much, much more..
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

futuremoves wrote:Hi all

I'm after a sound like Quince:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAsQEfwYGWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivEZakycWaQ

What synths would you suggest? I'm thinking of Diva. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :tu:
Diva is a great choice for this music. It can do great pads and bass (it can do everything in fact!).
Another good choice is Retrologue. It also can do many VA sounds (pads, bass, leads ..etc). I don't have Diva, I have Retrologue and it is my favourite analog synth :-)

Diva would be excellent for that sort of music. Besides sounding great (present and alive) it has multiple filter and osc models so it is like a few synths in one so there is a good sonic diversity... plus Diva can be pushed hard and still sound great and has some excellent modulation possibilities so there is more to explore than one might expect at first glance.

The one thing to note is that Diva is fairly heavy on CPU so if you have say an old core-2 duo you might look elsewhere. If you got the CPU, then Diva is exceptional.

Sounds like the thing should have an arp :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Sounds like the thing should have an arp :roll:
...which was added to Diva in v1.3 besides the JP-8000 oscillator and the Uhbie filter...

Anyway not sure if an Arp is enough or if you need a step sequencer for that (like e.g. the programmable Arp in Saurus and other Tone 2 synths).

Of course it is also possible to use an external Arp or step sequencer (like e.g. the built-in Arp of Ableton Live 9 or the Step seuquencer in Max4Live) or just use the piano roll of your host.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fluffy_little_something wrote:Sounds like the thing should have an arp :roll:
Diva has an arp... however, even if it didn't, there are plenty of arp/step sequencer plugins to fulfill that role including some good free ones.

Well, I was not talking about Diva in particular, actually I am a bit tired of Diva this, Diva that all the time. I am not one of those Diva disciples :roll:

I was just making a general statement because futuremoves had asked for suggestions and the first track seemed to use an arp...

The only reason why I looked into this thread was the name Quince, I was hoping it was a typo and this was about Quincy Jones :hihi: Never heard of Quince before, and probably never will again :roll:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, I was not talking about Diva in particular, actually I am a bit tired of Diva this, Diva that all the time. I am not one of those Diva disciples :roll:

I was just making a general statement because futuremoves had asked for suggestions and the first track seemed to use an arp...
not really.. he asked actually if diva can deliver the sound: "I'm after a sound like Quince" "What synths would you suggest? I'm thinking of Diva.".. ..his second question goes exactly in the same direction which was sounddesign..

actually everybody who replied understand OP question this way beside you. now keep on with rolling eyes. :)

murnau wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, I was not talking about Diva in particular, actually I am a bit tired of Diva this, Diva that all the time. I am not one of those Diva disciples :roll:

not really.. he asked actually if diva can deliver the sound: "I'm after a sound like Quince" "What synths would you suggest? I'm thinking of Diva.".. ..his second question goes exactly in the same direction which was sounddesign..

actually everybody who replied understand OP question this way beside you. now keep on with rolling eyes. :)
Well, I am not so sure he or she just wanted a confirmation of a choice he or she has already made :roll:
I thought he wanted those sounds and assumed Diva would deliver them (since everyone keeps saying it is the bestestest synth the universe has ever seen), but was open to other suggestions that might be even better suited...

One might wonder then why you are participating in a thread with Diva in the title...

I remembered now another great synth for your use: D16 LuSH-101. It is perfect for your need, but it is cpu heavy like Diva (well it depends on the preset).

Retrologue is not cpu heavy :-) and also Korg Legacy synths are cpu friendly. Polysix is easy to program, but MS-20 is not :-( Mono/poly is also a great one and I love its sound ("Gods Army" preset is from my fav pads).
You can also combine Polysix and MS-20 with effects in Legacy Cell (great results).

pdxindy wrote:

One might wonder then why you are participating in a thread with Diva in the title...
Oh, I am interested in everything. I was wondering what kind of sounds someone thought Diva might be right for. as opposed to other synths, and why...

Return to “Instruments”