Physical Modeling synths. More than just emulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BasariStudios wrote:No, its Loppy Fruit. And please don't sell the Z1, if so i will open a thread where everyone will be cursing you.
Funny you should mention it... just today I thought about selling it. I only use it these days as a midi controller.

Then sell it to me.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

ThomasHelzle wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Personally I hope not like Ultra Analog - the new interface is dreadful.
My personal favourite GUI from AAS is Chromaphone - so modern and light and compact. While it's missing more in-depth modulation options, otherwise I really like it. Clever stuff.
The other, more skeuomorphic GUIs could be fun too in theory but with the very small size, they feel limiting to me and the somehow ugly browser on the side kills the whole look, even if it works well and doesn't get in the way.

I guess they go through their whole range piece by piece ATM? Hopefully the next is StringStudio - it could use a refresh, Chromaphone sounds a bit warmer/rounder to me, StringStudio is a bit more on the digital/hard/sharp side in comparison IMO. And many of the factory presets turned me away rather than attracted me at first...

Well, we will see I guess ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
The thing that stands out for me with String Studio, is how expressive it is. I agree with you that Chromaphone is a bit rounder/warmer, but SS has better modulation and the damper and termination modules allow for some beautiful organic nuances. String Studio has a satisfying untamed edge.

Anyway, both of them are on my short list of synths I would never sell... those along with the U-he stuff...

I was blown away when I test drove the Korg Z1 in 1997. It had the most realistic trumpet patch I'd heard up to that point with the XY pad, but the salesmen kept telling me the Yamaha EX5 was better.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

pdxindy wrote:The thing that stands out for me with String Studio, is how expressive it is. I agree with you that Chromaphone is a bit rounder/warmer, but SS has better modulation and the damper and termination modules allow for some beautiful organic nuances. String Studio has a satisfying untamed edge.

Anyway, both of them are on my short list of synths I would never sell... those along with the U-he stuff...
Yeah, I agree. It's just that I am no longer able to read the StringStudio GUI. I only hope they don't continue this and what they did with Ultra Analog 2.
In the age of high-resolution displays, those microscopic GUIs are ridiculous.

I downloaded Tassman Demo yesterday once again and the GUI is even more ugly than I remembered. Straight out of the 90ies... [shudder]
As a graphics artist, I'm unable to look at it longer than 10 minutes before the seizures set in. Comes with the job I guess ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

whyterabbyt wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:Nah, Tassman is not even close to anything to pysical modeling.
Ridiculous statement; physical modelling is a technique, not a result. And Tassman certainly includes physical modelling components, acoustic and electronic.
whyterabbyt once made an incredible bell patch for Tassman 3. Have you seen what HV is able to coax out of it?
http://www.hvsynthdesign.com/tassman.php
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I don't care for the Tassman UI. Like some, it gets me to turn it off after just a little bit of using it.

I have no problem with the VA-2 UI though.

And the VS-1 is just okay to look at, no real complaints, but it does have some problems I wasn't aware of until I tried using it with Blue Cat's Patchwork. (And VS-1 and the Strums are the only ones that won't load in Patchwork).

ThomasHelzle wrote:I downloaded Tassman Demo yesterday once again and the GUI is even more ugly than I remembered. Straight out of the 90ies... [shudder]
As a graphics artist, I'm unable to look at it longer than 10 minutes before the seizures set in. Comes with the job I guess ;-)
Out of the 90s you say? Curious as it's modelled on the aesthetics of an electroacoustic studio of the kind used by Pierre Schaeffer and the like in the 50s and 60s…

Do old radio sets also give you seizures? Pultecs maybe?

Here's something I'd love to have a good physical model of:

And then change some parameters and make it twice as big.

electro wrote:I was blown away when I test drove the Korg Z1 in 1997. It had the most realistic trumpet patch I'd heard up to that point with the XY pad, but the salesmen kept telling me the Yamaha EX5 was better.
i've owned two of them (would own a third if i thought no one would take it). by the time i was ready to put it to serious use, i was getting too much shit in life, but i have a few bits and pieces around with it ("jewel" on "robot discotheque" at bandcamp = playing around.. iirc so is "warsong")

basically, my opinion = the online community don't know what they're missing, and haven't listened to me in the > 15 years i've been talking about it.

here (the piano is mda lol, 2003?) -
http://xoxos.bandcamp.com/track/jewel
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

MDA Piano, lol, i love MDA.

DSmolken wrote:Here's something I'd love to have a good physical model of:

And then change some parameters and make it twice as big.
Every studio needs a physically modelled child
Amazon: why not use an alternative

BBFG# wrote:I don't care for the Tassman UI. Like some, it gets me to turn it off after just a little bit of using it.

I have no problem with the VA-2 UI though.

And the VS-1 is just okay to look at, no real complaints, but it does have some problems I wasn't aware of until I tried using it with Blue Cat's Patchwork. (And VS-1 and the Strums are the only ones that won't load in Patchwork).
I can deal with the Tassman UI (even though I'm a UI Designer), it's ugly but clear. What I can't deal with is the fact that they just flat out ignore bugs. It's been a while but some of the PM modules just don't work at all any more.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Lol, people still use Tassman? This was designed for Windoze 98.

DSmolken wrote:
Wow! Now this is Art!
Really refreshing 8)
(I mean the image not the octobass!)

Return to “Instruments”