good drum sampler to play E-drums

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi, i'm looking for a realistic free drum sampler and acoustic kit with many layers on each sound (at least 7), and also, is it possible to use a continuous hihat controller with it? With which (free) kit)? If not, which is a good free option for playing acoustic drums with an electronic drum pad controller and continuous hihat controller? Also I'd like to hear about free (or very cheap) Vstis for playing with E-Drums and hihat continuous controller. thx

You won't get well-sampled, realistic-sounding acoustic kits for free - it's a huge amount of work to produce and really does deserve the people doing the work being rewarded.

I still have to put ns_kit7 / naturaldrumkit as my favourite "dry" kit - you can do so much with it and it comes as non-proprietary samples (WAV or FLAC). Not sure if you can still get it though and it works best with Kontakt (2 or above, full version), as the mappings exist.

There are free kits around but generally with 3 or 4 velocity layers at most and very poor hi-hat sounds.

For playing mapped WAV samples, little beats using sforzando, in my opinion.

Then which is a paid option not so costly, and also where I can include new bodies for the drum, not like in closed plugins like Toontrack or EZdrummer?

BIG MONO (FREE) sounds pretty badass and comes with a shitload of different velocity layers. And to my ears they sound pretty awesome.

And perhaps DRUMMICA SENNHEISER which (afaik) could be used with the free Kontakt player. Not sure about it and have not downloaded it. I read about it somewhere in the Reaper forum iirc.

Edit: in the video the narrator says it works as a stand alone version for PC & MAC and can be loaded via VST etc into your DAW. One bpb comment said that it includes the Kontaktplayer already. Read the comments for the whole German registration thingy in English.

Regards
Sebastian
Last edited by Halma on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Geez! Thanks a lot for your help.
Any other free (or unexpensive) kits, specially multilayered and with multiple levels of open/ closed hihat are welcome. Also, this post may be of interest for other E-drummers.

Halma wrote:Edit: in the video the narrator says it works as a stand alone version for PC & MAC and can be loaded via VST etc into your DAW. One bpb comment said that it includes the Kontaktplayer already.
Yeah, I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago - Kontakt Player is included. I didn't know that so I downloaded Kontakt Player separately, installed it, then ran the Drummic'a install and saw Kontakt Player in the install selection.

Halma wrote:BIG MONO (FREE) sounds pretty badass and comes with a shitload of different velocity layers. And to my ears they sound pretty awesome.

And perhaps DRUMMICA SENNHEISER which (afaik) could be used with the free Kontakt player. Not sure about it and have not downloaded it. I read about it somewhere in the Reaper forum iirc.

Edit: in the video the narrator says it works as a stand alone version for PC & MAC and can be loaded via VST etc into your DAW. One bpb comment said that it includes the Kontaktplayer already. Read the comments for the whole German registration thingy in English.

Regards
Sebastian
Both okay kits and probably the best for free. Big Mono is, of course, mono (as opposed to stereo) sampled but you can pan the kit pieces. It's fairly heavily processed so it has its own sound - quite a nice one. The rest of the Analogue Drums kits are very good value and more detailed (the bundles being especially good deals). DrumMic'A... mixed bag. It took me a lot of work getting anything I was even vaguely comfortable playing - your mileage may vary, of course -- and there's a huge sonic palette in there to play with. It also loses some UI settings between uses - at least for some people including me - which is confusing, as you get lost as to what changes you've made... But as adware for the microphones, it's pretty generous.

i've listed dozens of useful acoustic drum kits here:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/06 ... full-kits/

some of them require Kontakt, some are mapped for SFZ. most of them sound really good.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Thanks. There's a free Kontakt player, anyway, isn't there?

swegguar wrote:Thanks. There's a free Kontakt player, anyway, isn't there?
Yes, and as it says at the top of the Sampling forum, it'll play free (that is, not signed by Native Instruments - DrumMic'A is a "signed" kit) samples for 15 minutes.

bpblog wrote:i've listed dozens of useful acoustic drum kits here:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/06 ... full-kits/

some of them require Kontakt, some are mapped for SFZ. most of them sound really good.
hi i can't seem to get around to download the open source drum kit. do you have a direct link to it?

thanks, and where would be the propper place to find the same kind of quality samples of piano an general keys.

there will be timing problems

not only does your sound-card have latency but midi has a latency of 5ms minimum

its quite off putting for drummers

thats why the pads on big e-drum kits dont have midi-out on them.

when u hit the E-kit's drumpads it sends a control voltage that triggers the sound-module.

control voltage is electricity which is much faster than midi
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

i digress. i've gotten a latency of 2 ms with asio drivers on a relatively clean system, with M-Audio drivers. And the usual with semi-pro soundcards is 4-5 ms which is arguably good enough for E-Drumming. At least for sequencing purposes. BTW, you don't need to count the out latency, since you record to MIDI, then it's a means of getting accustomed to the monitoring.
WELL, ANY ADDITION TO THE MENTIONED FREE KITS, SPECIALLY A PROPPER LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE OPEN-SOURCE DRUMKIT, WHICH I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND, WILL BE APPRECIATED. TYVM.

midi has a minimum of 5ms latency, it always had.

u press a note 5ms will pass and then you'll hear from a hardware synth

but with a plugin its
midi 5 ms +souncard latency+ plugin latency zero-latency is just a marketing ploy they are just saying the latency is compensated on playback with PDC(plugin delay compensation)
playing the plugin live won't feel right

but playback will be fine if u use your Daw's Quantize to fix the obvious innacuracies
---

Anyhoo , about Samples

there are a some acoustic drumkits for battery here
http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=lis ... order=date

As for the NSkit if memory serves it was free, im sure you can find it in one way or another(hint)

but if u really want Awesome you should buy BFD 2
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=53

it has alot of layers and for each layers several samples. this is what round-robin does.
lets say u played the snare at the Hardest layer. the sampler will play a sample.
and if u hit that same layer again it will play a different sample.Round robin never plays the same sample twice in a row

Also with BFD2 all pieces have been recorded with Several Very High-end Preamps and High Class mics.
So they sound As Professional as it gets.

u can actually mix which Microphone are used and also mix differently placed mics independently for each Kit pieces.
U can dial in the direct and the room ambient mics independently. so you're not limited to how each pieces sounds.
and u can change each pieces independently like snare of this company and Hi-hat from that company.

And the library is huge i'm talking gigs and gigs of drum pieces

If you're a Drum aficionado you should seriously get BFD 2.

Its way better than any libraries recorded with budget mics and preamps
that u will find on the net.

Btw no i dont work for fxpansion nor am I getting free stuff from them, its just I love geist and BFD and its the only drum instrument plugin i use..plus i got some time to kill so might as well help people on Kvr
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Return to “Instruments”