The Headmaster (Acid Techno)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:Reminds me of Capt TinRib, but it's missing the giant reverb drenched breakdown in the middle that comes back all insane like. God kids loved that shit in the 90s. Yeah, it either needs more energy to push it along, or, if you'd rather, less to pull it back.

IIRC, the formula for the energy stuff was to slowly work in some other kind of line coming out of the breakdown, have a second shorter breakdown, followed by all knobs on ten, all hands up! Ok, you're a little more techno, a little less Capt. Insane, I get it. I like it but I wanted more character somewhere.

I have to admit, this stuff is a total guilty pleasure for me. I still play sets for my own amusement from time to time.
Oh boy I do love me some Tinrib. I lived strictly on a diet of Tinrib & Weirdo throughout the late 90's :love:

Those boys did straddle the line between acid and trance and mould their own genre really. I'm not trying to go down their path, but more the classic London acid path.

The track certainly does need more character somewhere. I'll continue to work on it over the weekend and post an update at some point.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Yet another version now posted.

Couple more things still to do. Levels and transitions mainly.

I also need to find out how to make the first 303 line less Goa.
Not sure how though TBH.

The intro is much better now. There is enough variation in there, and indeed throughout the entire track to keep the energy and interest going.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:The intro is much better now. There is enough variation in there, and indeed throughout the entire track to keep the energy and interest going.

Good work :)
Many thanks seismic :)

Appreciate the listen and feedback 8)

Mushy Mushy wrote:Final version now uploaded:

http://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/headmaster
It's never final, just the finalé :) listening now...

...much better. The intro is vastly improved and the overall production nicer.

2 comments

1 The Kick sounds good, but a hollow...lost it's thwap?
2 The track has a great build and at 3.10 I was expecting a second elevation. Maybe another seq lifting the orignal acid line per say.

But who am I to talk...my cloud is full of fecking crap :)

Stroll on the xoxbox and analog keys :)

MFXxx wrote:[..much better. The intro is vastly improved and the overall production nicer.
Thanks for taking the time to relisten mate. Appreciated.
MFXxx wrote:1 The Kick sounds good, but a hollow...lost it's thwap?
Good observation. I have heavily EQ'd the kick to remove some of the boominess that I didn't like. Also it was causing havoc with the compression.
MFXxx wrote:2 The track has a great build and at 3.10 I was expecting a second elevation. Maybe another seq lifting the orignal acid line per say
Funny you mention that. I did begin to add another synth part at this exact moment but it then sounded too NRG/hard trance which wasn't really what I wanted. Maybe I'll remix it though :D
MFXxx wrote:But who am I to talk...my cloud is full of fecking crap :)
Heading over there now 8)
MFXxx wrote:Stroll on the xoxbox and analog keys :)
What's the latest on those? You have an ETA yet?

Just ordered my xoxbox from willxyz. Be a few weeks. If I raise sone more funds the analog keys is on the radar.
Also holding out to demo Tr3, Akai Wolf, dark energy and a minitaur. All fun

MFXxx wrote:Just ordered my xoxbox from willxyz. Be a few weeks. If I raise sone more funds the analog keys is on the radar.
Also holding out to demo Tr3, Akai Wolf, dark energy and a minitaur. All fun
Oh yeah I remember now reading your post on GS about ordering the xoxbox. Exciting times. Well jealous too :oops:

That Akai Wolf does look very intersting indeed. I have my eyes on that too... :borg:

MFXxx wrote:It's never final, just the finalé :)
Well turns out you're right :oops:

Final, final version up now though.
Sorry everybody :clown:

Mushy Mushy wrote:
MFXxx wrote:[..much better. The intro is vastly improved and the overall production nicer.
Thanks for taking the time to relisten mate. Appreciated.
MFXxx wrote:1 The Kick sounds good, but a hollow...lost it's thwap?
Good observation. I have heavily EQ'd the kick to remove some of the boominess that I didn't like. Also it was causing havoc with the compression.
MFXxx wrote:2 The track has a great build and at 3.10 I was expecting a second elevation. Maybe another seq lifting the orignal acid line per say
Funny you mention that. I did begin to add another synth part at this exact moment but it then sounded too NRG/hard trance which wasn't really what I wanted. Maybe I'll remix it though :D
I thought the same thing, "hands in the air", but if you're going to remix it, don't forget the over the top string synth line. :)

For a more subdued approach, you could take it down instead of up. Dropping out the top line suddenly can have a dramatic effect.

Really like this...old skool meets the new skool head master

Glad you saw it through /:)

ghettosynth wrote:I thought the same thing, "hands in the air", but if you're going to remix it, don't forget the over the top string synth line. :)

For a more subdued approach, you could take it down instead of up. Dropping out the top line suddenly can have a dramatic effect.
It's Acid mate, there is no down :D
Jokes aside I do understand and agree with you.

That's it for this one though. For now anyway. It was really starting to **** me off recently so I do need to move onto something new.

Many thanks for your invaluable insight and time :tu:

MFXxx wrote:Really like this...old skool meets the new skool head master

Glad you saw it through /:)
Thanks so much mate.
It was your comments that ensured I stuck it out.

On the previous track I had great feedback from the off so that was immensely reassuring. This one however fell flat immediately which was quite demoralising. I never expected anything huge obviously, but the complete lack of replies made me think it was a disaster. Your comments though kept me motivated. Immense respect and appreciation mate :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”