Absent - ElectroProg (Seismic Elegy)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wrote the basic tracks for this in June 2012, and then had to abandon work when I was invited to the pub (or something in a similar vein). A couple of months ago, I rediscovered it on my hard drive just in time to complete the piece for the recent Ambient Online Compilation: Volume 2, which features almost 5 hours of ambient music from various artists

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/absent

For those interested, the compilation may be found here:-

http://ambientonline.bandcamp.com/album ... n-volume-2

I recommend it

Devices and Paraphernalia:-

Recorded in EnergyXT2.6/EnergyXT2.7beta
Mixed in EnergyXT2.7beta/EnergyXT2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 3

Wollo FMERA
Arturia Minimoog V Original
EVM Ultrasonique
TranceDrive
EnergyXT Delay
U-He Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 9

Edit: 20161029 - I remixed this to remove a little of the harshness that accompanied the bass synth on the original. I think the sound of the new version is smoother. This is now ready for an album release, although I'm not sure when that might be. In the process of remixing and remastering I also managed to increase the DR from 7 on the original to 8.

Edit: 20230117 - I remixed and mastered this in 24-bit, ready for the release of Pyroglyphs. The new mastering achieved a slight increase in dynamic range.
Last edited by seismic1 on Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Somber and cinematic. I am getting images of a slow procession through the snow. The music is sparse but emotional. An excellent blend of synths. The female voice is very effective. Good music for quiet, late night contemplation.

Very good mix overall although I felt the bass which came in at 4:00 was a little overpowering compared to the more delicate parts.

Very well done. :tu:

The sound on this is excellent IMHO

It could function both as a great opener or ender.
The vocals brings it an almost religious/spiritual vibe which
I like very much.

Cheers :harp:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Really peaceful track. Perfect complement to a dreary, somber morning here. Love the use of the male choir. The brassy sounding pads remind me a bit of Tom Heasley who creates beautiful ambient music using only a tuba. :-) Nice one!

Am I floating in the abyss looking out at our marvelous planet Earth? Do I see Earth spinning gracefully in all her glory? Do I feel the awe that I am here listening to this LOVEly music? YES!!!!!

Nice job Tim.....this lovely track belongs in a movie...o-@

Beautiful piece Tim! The undefined form works really well… seems to be this breathing, intertwining mosaic of sound. Very emotional and, as Frantz says, sombre. Really enjoyed it.
Image Image

Oh boy that was eery and moody.
I felt my arm hairs rise :shock:

Lovely piece indeed :love:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I like it. It reminds me a bit of the recent Boards of Canada stuff :)
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

This is really good. I might have a new favorite seismic1/whatsisname piece. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Frantz wrote:Somber and cinematic. I am getting images of a slow procession through the snow. The music is sparse but emotional. An excellent blend of synths. The female voice is very effective. Good music for quiet, late night contemplation.

Very good mix overall although I felt the bass which came in at 4:00 was a little overpowering compared to the more delicate parts.

Very well done. :tu:
Somber, emotional. I can relate to that imagery, Frantz.

I put the basic tracks down in mid 2012 and completely forgot about them until January this year, I'm sure you know how it is. When I heard it again I thought "I've got to finish this". I resisted the temptation to add too many parts, as I had an idea of making an pseudo-ambient piece for the AO compilation.

The emotional reference was spot-on too. My Father passed away in January 2013, so I wanted to make something that marked that anniversary in a suitable manner.

The bass is quite loud for sure, almost a little gritty in places. I just felt that it summed things up nicely.

Thanks very much for listening and for the astute comments. Glad you liked it :hug:

seismic1 wrote: The emotional reference was spot-on too. My Father passed away in January 2013, so I wanted to make something that marked that anniversary in a suitable manner.
I thought it might be because it got me reflecting on some people that I lost. It's a beautiful tribute. :love:

I'm glad people in the Cafe are picking up on it even though it's not a typical beat-oriented track.

reflective piece that stays true to its ambiance and drift, the finish summed it up nicely.
shows depth in sound and creative patience

sbj wrote:The sound on this is excellent IMHO

It could function both as a great opener or ender.
The vocals brings it an almost religious/spiritual vibe which
I like very much.

Cheers :harp:
I suppose the amorphous outline adopted here allows multi-functional application :)

Thanks very much for listening and the great comments, sbj. Glad you liked it :)

this worked for me ...
excellent pacing and voicing...
loved when the bass joined ...

ecamburn wrote:Really peaceful track. Perfect complement to a dreary, somber morning here. Love the use of the male choir. The brassy sounding pads remind me a bit of Tom Heasley who creates beautiful ambient music using only a tuba. :-) Nice one!
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment. Glad you liked it :)

I hadn't heard of Tom Heasley before. I'll check him out tomorrow.

Return to “Music Cafe”