why not analog-style limiters?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bmanic wrote:...It's also a very effective trick for saturation plugins, to emphasize the frequency area that you want to dominate the process.. thus resulting in different harmonic content.
another effective trick is to use multiband version of plugin - if available...like in case of all Melda plugins and also some others /like recently mentioned IKM Classic multiband limiter/... :wink:

Agreed wrote:Personally I really don't like the analog attempt at a lookahead sound...
exactly :wink:
I dont like "lookahead sound", too...and I dont care if its analog or software...and thats why Im searching for analogue-style limiting in software... :)
the only exception /for me/ to use lookahead limiter is in the end of mastering chain and in very subtle way so to avoid any typical lookahead sound...but I dont see any reason for using lookahead limiter during mixing if I got another viable solution...
Agreed wrote: ..The Fairchild 670, for example, holy moly was it an amazing piece of technology, way ahead of its time in my opinion.
right...but unlike Fairchild-of which we got so many clones recently-there are many other and more modern solutions which were probably never modelled in software plugin form...

kvaca wrote:
bmanic wrote:...It's also a very effective trick for saturation plugins, to emphasize the frequency area that you want to dominate the process.. thus resulting in different harmonic content.
another effective trick is to use multiband version of plugin - if available...like in case of all Melda plugins and also some others /like recently mentioned IKM Classic multiband limiter/... :wink:
Band splitting causes some serious damage though, especially if it's normal minimum phase filtering. This is good to keep in mind. If you want a more "coherent" signal then the pre- and de-emphasis trick is more suitable. If you are out to completely mangle the original audio then multiband processes of any kind suit very well (like Fab Filter Saturn).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:.. which begs the question. Who's going to be the first to create a proper ITB floating point gain staging volume + symmetrical EQ tool? :)
It's already possible in many DAW, using automation of plugin parameters.
But it's not a complete solution, granted the lack of data on an aggregate control device (Fruity X-Y controller for instance)
A user-friendly plugin is what's needed

Of course it's all possible.. the point I wanted to make with the plugin wish/suggestion was one of convenience. I'm doing volume and EQ pre/post emphasis and de-emphasis all the time in my mixes. It just gets very tedious to manage on larger ones, like mixes that have 100+ tracks of which perhaps 30 have this emphasis and gain staging going on.. so that's 4 plugins on 30 tracks only for this task. That's 120 plugins only for this simple task.. you get the drift. :)

Cheers!
bManic

I would already have made one if I knew how :)
I am in complete agreement, although you may also be able to use a "modular host in a host" like Patcher or MetaPlugin for tidyness.

Personally, I like my setup using analogue (or analogue emulations) to add mojo pre-limiter and then use a digital limiter with nice lookahead and transient preservation. TBH I use limiters to add a touch of polish to the final mix, rather than pushing things. Analogue definitely sounds better than digital when pushed hard IMO.

camsr wrote:I would already have made one if I knew how :)
I am in complete agreement, although you may also be able to use a "modular host in a host" like Patcher or MetaPlugin for tidyness.
That's a work around to have less clutter but unfortunately that still means opening up tons of separate instances of plugins, including the meta plugin/host. :(

Cheers!
bManic

Return to “Effects”