What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist

311 posts since 22 Feb, 2004

Postby GeckoYamori; Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 pm Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

I quite like Progressive Rock but I try not to romantisize the 70's period too much. That was when it reached its peak in mainstream popularity, and I think many musicians just sort of got casually swept along with it because it happened to be trendy at the time. I prefer the modern stuff coming out since it's made by people with a genuine passion for it.
KVRAF

1949 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:23 pm Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

There was no progressive Rock before 1970?
"It does no harm to listen to Bach from time to time, even if only from a hygienic standpoint." Sviatoslav Richter
KVRAF

2640 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:24 pm Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

rp314 wrote:There was no progressive Rock before 1970?

No. Jon Lord never existed, he's just a figment of your imagination.
KVRian

656 posts since 24 Oct, 2005

Postby nasenmann; Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:18 am Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

Gentle Giant is great fun. Also one of my fav band names. Hippiesque yet vaguely bombastic.

I think i like progrock best when it doesn't have that self-importance of being deliberately prog, but just ventures in that direction naturally at times. I've listened to Deep Purple too much by now but they have a place in my heart for embodying that.
KVRAF

6464 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:58 pm Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

Zappa (the real prog-daddy), Spirit, Crimson, Genesis, Tull, Gentle Giant, TD and many others.

Oh yeah.... Hobgoblin :band2: :violin: ....but probably not the one vurt is thinking of :)
KVRian

1077 posts since 6 Jul, 2012

Postby Turello; Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:02 pm Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

Hey Guys, I'm happy to know I'm not alone..! :-D
KVRAF

13604 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:45 pm Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

For me it was TD, Hawkwind/Hawklords, Gryphon, Gong, Faust, Guru Guru, Nucleus, Popul Vuh.....geeeesh....to mny to list...

Then seeing a lot of these bands live back then....:shock:....which I did....
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
KVRAF

7648 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 am Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

Turello wrote:I was wondering if in this place there are also lovers of Progressive Rock 70s

I dig 70's prog rock where the synth/keyboard is the main instrument, bands like Triumvirat, PFM, Novalis, Pollen
Racing the clouds home
KVRAF

10245 posts since 18 Jun, 2008, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 am Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

trimph1 wrote:Then seeing a lot of these bands live back then....:shock:....which I did....

Modern day Hawkwind / Gong gigs are still just as messy as they ever were!

Not that I would know .. a friend told me ... ;)
KVRAF

7648 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 am Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

I saw this vid recently, and man does Mike Howlett get into it when the Dervish riff kicks off

http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Hillage-Ba ... se/1943091
Racing the clouds home
KVRAF

7221 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 am Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

seismic1 wrote:Zappa (the real prog-daddy), Spirit, Crimson, Genesis, Tull, Gentle Giant, TD and many others.

Oh yeah.... Hobgoblin :band2: :violin: ....but probably not the one vurt is thinking of :)

As they come :
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Yes, King Crimson, Robert Wyatt, Genesis, Caravan, HAttfield and the North, Gong, Todd Rundgren, Gentle Giant, Can, Pink Floyd ....
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Soundbanks for Vsti

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there [Xils-Lab Team]
KVRian

825 posts since 8 Dec, 2003, from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 am Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

I grew up with progrock, krautrock, folk and things that could fall into that general grab-bag thanks to hippy-ish parents. It'll always have a place in my heart, and I still play records from that time these days. A few of my desert island discs would be 70's albums that would've been put in the prog-rock category.

It's rare to find some modern progrock that inspires me though. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough for it so much with all the other stuff I've gotten into over the years.
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
KVRAF

20090 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:34 am Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

Hawkwind! Dave Brock is still keeping them going even now.
KVRian

825 posts since 8 Dec, 2003, from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:39 am Re: The importance of the Progressive Rock 70s...

If I'm remembering rightly, Hawkwind hate being called prog rock.

Not saying they're not, just that they (or Brock in particular) doesn't like being lumped in with anyone else!

Loved their first few...got a bit meh about the middle ones, and the last one I heard sounded more like festival rave dance from the late 80's/early 90's. Wasn't keen, although I like some of the stuff from that time too.
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic