Do i need an audio or a midi interface?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im really confused here what i need to get.
I have an audiophile 2496 soundcard which works great. I have plans to buy several pedals and synths which i want to connect to my computer.
What do i need in order to do that?
Lets say i will end up with 6 pedals and 3 analog synths, how can i connect all of them to the computer at once?
Do i need an audio interface or a midi interface, or just another soundcard with more i/o ´?
I want to be able to record the synths to my pc but also midi sync to Ableton.

Would help to know your computer specs

To connect all of them at once, you'd need an audio interface with seperate inputs for each instrument or an outboard mixer the instruments go to that then goes Into the interface.

Get a MIDI interface if you want to control seperate MIDI instruments at the same time. Otherwise just get something like a USB UNO adapter. Some interfaces (most I believe) have a Built in MIDI interface that you can use too. They'll probably only be 1X1 if you're looking at entry level audio interfaces.

Do you want/need to record all those things simultaneously on their own tracks? Then you'll need a soundcard with more inputs than the one you have.
Do you just want to mix all the instruments together and get them into the computer in stereo? Then your soundcard will be fine, but you'll need a small mixer.
To sync your gear, you can probably just daisy chain them. The MIDI on the audiophile might be all you need for that, depending on the specific gear.

trancedanne1 wrote:Im really confused here what i need to get.
I have an audiophile 2496 soundcard which works great. I have plans to buy several pedals and synths which i want to connect to my computer.
Lets say i will end up with 6 pedals and 3 analog synths, how can i connect all of them to the computer at once?
Do i need an audio interface or a midi interface, or just another soundcard with more i/o ´?
I bought this to get over the same problem...

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/b ... xer--12636 you can use the last channel as an FX send

I use an Alesis i04 USB audio/midi interface...

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/ ... ace--94257

Both cheap as chips, I have additional usb to midi interfaces for my gear.

trancedanne1 wrote:Im really confused here what i need to get.
Ok, - what do you mean by pedals? FX boxes or foot controllers?

If keeping your 2496, you just need a mixer with enough mono and stereo channels.
Plug everything into the mixer.
Connect 2496 line out to a stereo input on the mixer.
The mixers monitoring now feeds your speakers/headphones.

Then, it depends on the mixer. The right kind will let you monitor live inputs and recorded playback AND let you select which of the inputs gets routed to the 2 soundcard line inputs for recording.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”