What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

tapper mike
KVRAF

3611 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:32 pm Re: Your next guitar?

macmurphy wrote:i really need to get back in to playing the guitar regularly. i started at ten and i'm now forty but for the last ten or so years i have let things slide.

i bought AmpliTube during the recent promotion and it's definitely reignited my interest, in fact i was surprised how quickly things came back to me.
i've only got a lowly Squier Tele, although i do recall changing the pickups for more meat and girth.

i think if i get back into playing on a regular basis i'll buy a 'proper' guitar considering this is my fortieth year :D

neil.

What's a proper guitar for you? I just got done playing my SX Furrian (cheap tele copy) and while it certainly needs some fretwork it was more then adequate for sitting around on the couch. I'd say start with material first then think about getting another guitar.

I shift my attention between ztars and guitars. I'm either totally into the ztar and avoiding the guitar or vice versa. There is no middle ground. I'll let my guitar playing go for months (sometimes a year) When I do.. after I build up callouses and chops again...I get dead tired of playing all the songs I used to play. What's been keeping me playing the guitar recently is trying to learn new (to me) material. Which is a lot cheaper way to maintain interest then going out and buying new stuff (I know that makes me read as a hypocrite)
macmurphy
KVRAF

2390 posts since 21 Jul, 2004

Postby macmurphy; Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:10 am Re: Your next guitar?

tapper mike wrote:
What's a proper guitar for you?

i guess i just meant something that isn't 'pretending' to be something else.
however after spending a day getting re acquainted with my Tele i'm not in such a rush. i gave it a quick set up and it's playing rather beautifully :)
tapper mike
KVRAF

Postby tapper mike; Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:32 pm Re: Your next guitar?

I just restrung my Godin Freeway with Dunlop "Wylde" strings. It sounds like crap. The freeway was already dark without being warm to begin with. These strings make it sound worse (to my ears) Now I'm afraid to restring my other guitars with them.
Uncle E
KVRAF

6376 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:41 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Blue Steels and Elixirs are nice if you need to liven up an instrument.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Hink
Rad Grandad

24640 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:11 pm Re: Your next guitar?

tapper mike wrote:I just restrung my...It sounds like crap.

you dont say :hihi:
Thank cod I love fish
tapper mike
KVRAF

Postby tapper mike; Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:13 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Uncle E wrote:Blue Steels and Elixirs are nice if you need to liven up an instrument.

I tried Blue Steels once on my strat back in the 80's when I first got it....instant SRV tone without having to go up to 13's
james0tucson
KVRAF

4303 posts since 23 Feb, 2004, from Tucson Arizona USA

Postby james0tucson; Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Not strictly "mine" per se, but my bass playing wife's experience with her "next" guitar...

She outgrew her Schecter ("next" guitar #1), and traded up for a Music Man Stingray 5 ("next" guitar #2). A very nice playing instrument in mint green, with one of the sweetest bird's eye maple necks I've ever seen. She was getting a setup which involved an overnight stay at a shop. That night, the shop got robbed, and what they stole were the instruments on the repair rack. I'll pause for a moment while you all try to picture this happening to *your* favorite guitar.

The shop manager was quite accommodating, and took responsibility for the loss. Most importantly, he realized he had lost a fairly special instrument (we've seen similar, but not quite the same bass), so he pretty much offered to let her have any bass she wanted (I guess, short of asking for a Fodera or a Pedulla or a Modulus or the Moon.)

She ended up with "next guitar #3", a 5-string Music Man Bongo, double humbucker, in black. She's not quite over the initial loss enough to fully appreciate how nice #3 is, but she's getting there.

More importantly, an effect of this experience is that now she's considering going to luthier school. :o Not only will she never again put a guitar into anyone's hands where it has to leave her sight, she wants to learn how to do her own setups and repairs (not a big deal) but the end result of that is that she wants to get into woodworking and building guitars (huge deal).
Vectorman
KVRian

1027 posts since 6 May, 2005, from Michigan, USA

Postby Vectorman; Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 am Re: Your next guitar?

What a terrible thing, having your bass stolen from a place you'd assumed it was safe. Stealing a musician's instrument, that's just LOW. But it's great that something positive has come out of it - a whole new interest sparked. And I'm sure your wife will come to appreciate #3. When you want a really big, full-bandwidth bass sound, a Bongo HH will definitely deliver it.
KrisM
KVRian

822 posts since 25 Aug, 2009

Postby KrisM; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:02 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Turns out it's a '95 Fender Strat Plus, vintage white/maple fretboard. My first Fender (after loathing them as weak, I used to play metal hehe), I wanted something with single coils and it fits the bill nicely. Feels very different to my Carvin, and I suppose I could have just ordered up a Carvin Bolt, but I do like this guitar. It's just different hehe.
Meh.
hibidy
KVRAF

40704 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:29 pm Re: Your next guitar?

@bass being stolen: Sucks, glad it didn't turn out too bad.

@strat: congrats!
Uncle E
KVRAF

Postby Uncle E; Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:42 pm Re: Your next guitar?

KrisM wrote:Turns out it's a '95 Fender Strat Plus

Nice! That's got the LSR nut and 2-point trem, right? I imagine that's got to stay in tune really well, am I right on that?
fedexnman
KVRian

1319 posts since 3 Jan, 2005

Postby fedexnman; Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm Re: Your next guitar?

I want a guitar that has some P 90 s in it .... Like a Gibson SG or some of the SG ish knock offs by Schecter , Reverend , or Godin ...
Uncle E
KVRAF

Postby Uncle E; Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:04 am Re: Your next guitar?

fedexnman wrote:I want a guitar that has some P 90 s in it .... Like a Gibson SG or some of the SG ish knock offs by Schecter , Reverend , or Godin ...

Bryan Gunsher from BG Pickups makes some single coil sized P90's that absolutely rock. I think they're even gnarlier than real P90's.
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 pm Re: Your next guitar?

This looks too good to be true

The USA price is going to be 825 and it's just perfect looking.
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:39 pm Re: Your next guitar?

PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)