Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

macmurphy wrote:i really need to get back in to playing the guitar regularly. i started at ten and i'm now forty but for the last ten or so years i have let things slide.

i bought AmpliTube during the recent promotion and it's definitely reignited my interest, in fact i was surprised how quickly things came back to me.
i've only got a lowly Squier Tele, although i do recall changing the pickups for more meat and girth.

i think if i get back into playing on a regular basis i'll buy a 'proper' guitar considering this is my fortieth year :D

neil.

What's a proper guitar for you? I just got done playing my SX Furrian (cheap tele copy) and while it certainly needs some fretwork it was more then adequate for sitting around on the couch. I'd say start with material first then think about getting another guitar.

I shift my attention between ztars and guitars. I'm either totally into the ztar and avoiding the guitar or vice versa. There is no middle ground. I'll let my guitar playing go for months (sometimes a year) When I do.. after I build up callouses and chops again...I get dead tired of playing all the songs I used to play. What's been keeping me playing the guitar recently is trying to learn new (to me) material. Which is a lot cheaper way to maintain interest then going out and buying new stuff (I know that makes me read as a hypocrite)
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote:
What's a proper guitar for you?
i guess i just meant something that isn't 'pretending' to be something else.
however after spending a day getting re acquainted with my Tele i'm not in such a rush. i gave it a quick set up and it's playing rather beautifully :)

I just restrung my Godin Freeway with Dunlop "Wylde" strings. It sounds like crap. The freeway was already dark without being warm to begin with. These strings make it sound worse (to my ears) Now I'm afraid to restring my other guitars with them.

Blue Steels and Elixirs are nice if you need to liven up an instrument.

tapper mike wrote:I just restrung my...It sounds like crap.
you dont say :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Uncle E wrote:Blue Steels and Elixirs are nice if you need to liven up an instrument.
I tried Blue Steels once on my strat back in the 80's when I first got it....instant SRV tone without having to go up to 13's

Not strictly "mine" per se, but my bass playing wife's experience with her "next" guitar...

She outgrew her Schecter ("next" guitar #1), and traded up for a Music Man Stingray 5 ("next" guitar #2). A very nice playing instrument in mint green, with one of the sweetest bird's eye maple necks I've ever seen. She was getting a setup which involved an overnight stay at a shop. That night, the shop got robbed, and what they stole were the instruments on the repair rack. I'll pause for a moment while you all try to picture this happening to *your* favorite guitar.

The shop manager was quite accommodating, and took responsibility for the loss. Most importantly, he realized he had lost a fairly special instrument (we've seen similar, but not quite the same bass), so he pretty much offered to let her have any bass she wanted (I guess, short of asking for a Fodera or a Pedulla or a Modulus or the Moon.)

She ended up with "next guitar #3", a 5-string Music Man Bongo, double humbucker, in black. She's not quite over the initial loss enough to fully appreciate how nice #3 is, but she's getting there.

More importantly, an effect of this experience is that now she's considering going to luthier school. :o Not only will she never again put a guitar into anyone's hands where it has to leave her sight, she wants to learn how to do her own setups and repairs (not a big deal) but the end result of that is that she wants to get into woodworking and building guitars (huge deal).

What a terrible thing, having your bass stolen from a place you'd assumed it was safe. Stealing a musician's instrument, that's just LOW. But it's great that something positive has come out of it - a whole new interest sparked. And I'm sure your wife will come to appreciate #3. When you want a really big, full-bandwidth bass sound, a Bongo HH will definitely deliver it.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Turns out it's a '95 Fender Strat Plus, vintage white/maple fretboard. My first Fender (after loathing them as weak, I used to play metal hehe), I wanted something with single coils and it fits the bill nicely. Feels very different to my Carvin, and I suppose I could have just ordered up a Carvin Bolt, but I do like this guitar. It's just different hehe.
Meh.

@bass being stolen: Sucks, glad it didn't turn out too bad.

@strat: congrats!

KrisM wrote:Turns out it's a '95 Fender Strat Plus
Nice! That's got the LSR nut and 2-point trem, right? I imagine that's got to stay in tune really well, am I right on that?

I want a guitar that has some P 90 s in it .... Like a Gibson SG or some of the SG ish knock offs by Schecter , Reverend , or Godin ...

fedexnman wrote:I want a guitar that has some P 90 s in it .... Like a Gibson SG or some of the SG ish knock offs by Schecter , Reverend , or Godin ...
Bryan Gunsher from BG Pickups makes some single coil sized P90's that absolutely rock. I think they're even gnarlier than real P90's.

This looks too good to be true

The USA price is going to be 825 and it's just perfect looking.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”