Full cubase 7 Artist project!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone.

I've just finished my track last time , and i can say i'm unhappy from all my tracks i did.
Why am i unhappy? Because i'm hard working , trying to do something which would sound good , which i could be proud of , and i just can't...That's why i need your help guys. The problem in my tracks and in other tracks in EDM , is that my track sound's...just like with way lower quality. It's sound's like i miss something , or i forgot to add. All i want you to do guys , is to have a look at my project , and tell me what's wrong (Or better! If you have time you can simply make changes in project to show how it can be made , to sound like proffesional uplifting trance track). Propably my mix is wrong and i haven't add space (maybe because i don't know how to do both xD). Here is project with all samples:
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/17203122/file.html
and here is a track : https://soundcloud.com/d-lay-4/d-lay-tr ... -novations
All you need to open it:Cubase 7 artist or better , Nexus (with some trance expansions),Philta CM filter , Renaissance Bass (mono and stereo).Hope you guys can help me :help:

PS: I'm not going to release it in any label. I just want to learn and make awesome music i can share with people and my friends. Some of my friends are makeing jokes on me that i'm seating so much in front of this and can't do a one professional trance track :( (i'm intrested in music production for 1,5 year). I have loads of melodies which are in my opinion awesome. All i need to learn how to make a good "production".

Goddamit... when i see that people are doing such awesome trance in FL studio... I just want to cry that i can't do same :( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=44 ... =2&theater

What equipment and synths are you using?

Not my type of music, but I think it sounds good.
Much better than I expected from your opening post to be honest. :D
I like that "gnarly" synth in there.

(Of course there's probably almost always room for improvement but that have to do other people which are more in this genre.)

Coxy wrote:What equipment and synths are you using?
I'm useing Nexus and All the Cubase host stuff. Actually you can help me with sylenth also , beacuse even if i got demo version , i can load banks that sounds normally ( the only problem is annoying "thank you for trying this demo :D")

No_Use wrote:Not my type of music, but I think it sounds good.
Much better than I expected from your opening post to be honest. :D
I like that "gnarly" synth in there.

(Of course there's probably almost always room for improvement but that have to do other people which are more in this genre.)
I don't know what type of music are you makeing , but if House/Hardstyle/drum&bass or other EDM , i'm very intrested of what advices/improvements or even major changes you can do. There is a lot of things that i want to learn. The more I know , the better production i can make , the more fun i can people give :D Now for egzample i'm keep on learning how to make propely major and minor 7 chords because in every tutorial on the web , the breakdown pad is made from chords like this. I think that may be one of thousands problems , that make my production low quality :(

What synths, beyond Nexus? Nexus is good for quick go to sounds but it's not a one stop trance hit instrument.

What samples are you using?

Listening to that tune I think you need to be more selective with your sounds and then selective with your EQ as a starting point. But give me some more info and I can give you better answers.

Cheers

Coxy wrote:What synths, beyond Nexus? Nexus is good for quick go to sounds but it's not a one stop trance hit instrument.

What samples are you using?

Listening to that tune I think you need to be more selective with your sounds and then selective with your EQ as a starting point. But give me some more info and I can give you better answers.

Cheers
I can use Retrologue , all synth from Computer music Magazine , rapture . With samples it is hard to say. I don't have sample packs that i buy. I use only sample packs from Computer music magazine, free on the internet samples + when there is always a remix competition , i'm downloading some samples :D I have 2 Trance sample packs which contains 40 kicks,snares,hats and one shots (from computer music ofc).

Ps. I'm going to buy next week sylenth1

Sylenth 1 is gold, like really. Get it, learn it, use it.

Honestly I would say invest in just 1 decent Sample pack, either the thrill-seekers one from Freshlysqueezed samples, the Activa one or one of the Vengeance minimal house ones from Refx

Only buy one and use it and get to know it as much as possible

The Activa one you get a lot of stuff including bass and synth loops (though limited usefulness) the Thrillseekers one it's 99% all useable but you don't get a lot and it's geared towards typical UK progressive trance stuff the Vengeance is probably best bang for buck all round in terms of go to sounds and scale of sounds.

It's a controversial thought but I believe you can only get so far (in terms of polished, quality sound) from free samples.

Have a listen to this for example, this is me using 100% refx minimal house sample pack, lots of Sylenth1 and one instance of a Dave Smith Evolver hw synth (which could be emulated by another software synth) the rest is in the box FX from Cubase Pro 7.5

https://soundcloud.com/coxys/raw-raw

Coxy wrote:Sylenth 1 is gold, like really. Get it, learn it, use it.

Honestly I would say invest in just 1 decent Sample pack, either the thrill-seekers one from Freshlysqueezed samples, the Activa one or one of the Vengeance minimal house ones from Refx

Only buy one and use it and get to know it as much as possible

The Activa one you get a lot of stuff including bass and synth loops (though limited usefulness) the Thrillseekers one it's 99% all useable but you don't get a lot and it's geared towards typical UK progressive trance stuff the Vengeance is probably best bang for buck all round in terms of go to sounds and scale of sounds.

It's a controversial thought but I believe you can only get so far (in terms of polished, quality sound) from free samples.

Have a listen to this for example, this is me using 100% refx minimal house sample pack, lots of Sylenth1 and one instance of a Dave Smith Evolver hw synth (which could be emulated by another software synth) the rest is in the box FX from Cubase Pro 7.5

https://soundcloud.com/coxys/raw-raw
Yeah , you are completly right. I must buy one of sample packs. The question is which one :D. I think the best option for me is buying Thrillseekers for now , and later aktiva's and pack from Refx. This one from Activa's got 2700+ samples , but thrillseekers got 500 Drum and fx samples + it's 50% cheaper than activa's. I belive i can make pads/arps/leads/basses from nexus and sylenth , so drums are the most needed for now :D. This Vengeance pack minimal house is really good too (especially after you show what you can do with them :D). The question is , can i do all trance genres drums with Thrillseekers pack? As far as i know thrillseeker is uplifting trance producer ,but you said his pack is geared towards typical UK progressive trance tracks , so i'm confused a bit :D

Apologies, probably some confusion over what I would stick into what genres, what may be uplifting to you may be progressive to me :)

When I say progressive think Anjuna beats, Relocate, when I say uplifting I think Dash berlin, Armin, (the more typical dutch style trance) but the genres are so close genre is more dicated by your synth sounds and midi programming rather than between these 3 sample packs.

You do get very good quality with the thrillseekers pack and it cuts out most of the other stuff that doesn't get a look in when you buy bigger sample packs. Quality over quantity as such.

Coxy wrote:Apologies, probably some confusion over what I would stick into what genres, what may be uplifting to you may be progressive to me :)

When I say progressive think Anjuna beats, Relocate, when I say uplifting I think Dash berlin, Armin, (the more typical dutch style trance) but the genres are so close genre is more dicated by your synth sounds and midi programming rather than between these 3 sample packs.

You do get very good quality with the thrillseekers pack and it cuts out most of the other stuff that doesn't get a look in when you buy bigger sample packs. Quality over quantity as such.
Okay :D So i'm just sending my money on paypal and buy Sylenth1 and thrillseeksers pack. Honestly ,my mom thinks it's waste of money ,but it's my money and i can buy what i want (My mom don't like electronic music :D)

Tell her you could be out on the streets beating people up. Instead you've decided to put your energy into something you love. :)

Return to “Production Techniques”