What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions, Chat, Voting and Results

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

bjporter
KVRian
 
1245 posts since 18 Dec, 2010, from North America

Postby bjporter; Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:59 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

J.Ruegg wrote:I have a little problem : The rules say "All plugin effects like equalizers, delays etc, must either be inside the synth / DAW or external effects which must freeware and easily available to all."

The ONLY compressor that can made sidechain in Open Mod Plug is sidekick3 its no longer available(KVR says that), so its a bit difficult to find, but here http://sagamusix.de/en/vst-plugins/ is sidekick3(with permission of the author).

Can I use it?

PD: Siekick 3 is freeware, so I think I could use it...


Totally legit. BTW, A lot of use use Kjaerhaus Classic stuff (they closed down).
abovethoughts
KVRist
 
146 posts since 26 May, 2013

Postby abovethoughts; Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:24 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

Another sidechained post ;)

This is the sidechain tool I think would work best in Cantabile, Sidechain Compressor by Christian Budde (Windows), but I can't seem wrap my head around getting it to work. If anyone has a tip or two or three on using this using this beast then please share your knowledge ... here it is here ....
viewtopic.php?t=272178
bjporter
KVRian
 
1245 posts since 18 Dec, 2010, from North America

Postby bjporter; Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:29 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

abovethoughts wrote:Another sidechained post ;)

This is the sidechain tool I think would work best in Cantabile, Sidechain Compressor by Christian Budde (Windows), but I can't seem wrap my head around getting it to work. If anyone has a tip or two or three on using this using this beast then please share your knowledge ... here it is here ....
viewtopic.php?t=272178


I remember before VST3 sidechain - the sidechains in cubase required a quadro channel - a channel with 2 stereo tracks. The trigger (kick for example) had to be hard panned one direction in one sub channel. The target (bass / pad) went to the other stereo part.

Hope that helps a bit?
doctorbob
KVRist
 
122 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:30 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

Hi all, my first go at OSC ... so be gentle with me :(

It's a light hearted go at making a track which reflects the era of the Oberheim synth ...

I take my hats off to those who have coaxed some reasonable percussion (other than kicks/toms) from this beast! No perc from me (just a few bassdrum thumps), letting the bass speak the rythmn.

6 instances
Patches by me
Mixed/mastered in REAPER
All fx are from the Classic series. eq, compression, limit and reverb.

Here's my entry ... please listen and comment - good or bad - I can take it -

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/ohbeexdeedeedee

Cheers,

Rob (aka doctorbob).
Last edited by doctorbob on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
psmacmur
KVRist
 
114 posts since 29 Jul, 2013, from Toronto

Postby psmacmur; Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:33 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

https://soundcloud.com/peter-macmurchy/ ... oking-obxd
My entry for One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD.
Made in Studio One Producer 2.6 x64
17 OBXD instances
All synth patches from init, for once! :hihi: Some FX are preset-based, though. :roll:

Presonus FX:
Room Reverb x 1
Compressor x 4
Pro EQ x 7
Spectrum Meter x 2
Limiter x 1
Fat Channel x 5
Analog Delay x 1
Mixverb x 1
Beat Delay x 2

Arto Vaarala - Kirnu x 3
AudioDamage RoughRider x64 x 1
Greywolf BlueArp x 1
DCAM FreeComp x 1
M Stereo Expander x 1
Voxengo Tube Amp x 4
Limiter6-x64 x 2
Molot03-x64 x 1

DR 6

I was really hoping OBXD would be this month's synth, as the closest I've come to an Obie was some rompler patches on my CS1x.
OBXD totally lived up to my expectations, being a very rewarding synth to play.
I can see why Breeze, jasinski et. al. went crazy making patches for it. :hyper:
bjporter
KVRian
 
1245 posts since 18 Dec, 2010, from North America

Postby bjporter; Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:53 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

psmacmur wrote:All synth patches from init, for once!


:clap: Great work. It's tough to start out, but definitely gets easier
User avatar
crimsonwarlock
KVRAF
 
1566 posts since 17 Apr, 2001, from At the boundaries of time

Postby crimsonwarlock; Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:17 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

I donate one Reaper personal license to the prize pool. If it is not picked up this month it will move to the next challenge :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin

Using: Reaper and loads of freeware plugins
bh9090
KVRist
 
103 posts since 7 Dec, 2006, from Richmond, VA, USA

Postby bh9090; Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:22 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

My Entry:
https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/duncans-opiate-haze
16 Instances. Live 9 with included effects.


Additional Tracks - All OBXD
https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/addcom ... neutralize
https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/i-pledge-no-allegiance

I just picked a track randomly. It's a little late now, but was there a manual that covered all the knobs? I saw one, but it didn't cover the modulation section and a couple other things.
bjporter
KVRian
 
1245 posts since 18 Dec, 2010, from North America

Postby bjporter; Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:42 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

crimsonwarlock wrote:I donate one Reaper personal license to the prize pool. If it is not picked up this month it will move to the next challenge :D


Really super appreciated! Thanks :) We'll get that sorted.
User avatar
V'ger
KVRAF
 
3917 posts since 15 Dec, 2009

Postby V'ger; Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:14 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

crimsonwarlock wrote:I donate one Reaper personal license to the prize pool. If it is not picked up this month it will move to the next challenge :D

Great, thank you :tu:
User avatar
V'ger
KVRAF
 
3917 posts since 15 Dec, 2009

Postby V'ger; Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:29 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

Note:

Please have your say in the latest rules vote here: viewtopic.php?p=5685951#p5685951

It will decide the new (tracks) voting system and other things.
jasinski
KVRist
 
318 posts since 19 Oct, 2003, from Seattle

Postby jasinski; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:02 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

I think "I Pledge No Allegiance" was my favorite of the three :)

Great stuff all around. You be showing us all up with your prolificness.

bh9090 wrote:My Entry:
https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/duncans-opiate-haze
16 Instances. Live 9 with included effects.


Additional Tracks - All OBXD
https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/addcom ... neutralize
https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/i-pledge-no-allegiance

I just picked a track randomly. It's a little late now, but was there a manual that covered all the knobs? I saw one, but it didn't cover the modulation section and a couple other things.
pedalsteeldrummer
KVRist
 
68 posts since 12 Oct, 2010, from London, UK

Postby pedalsteeldrummer; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:51 am Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

http://soundcloud.com/pedalsteeldrummer/born-to-run

Born To Run

I was a child of the Eighties so this is a bit of a nostalgia trip for me. Mainly inspired by Harold Faltermeyer's film score for "The Running Man" (1987), but also Top Gun (1986) and Beverly Hills Cop (1984).


TRACK NOTES:

Created for the KVR One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD.

All sounds from Datsounds' OBXD synthesiser plugin. I programmed all the patches myself.

27 instances of OBXD. Mixed/mastered in Cockos Reaper 4.581/64 with native fx (ReaEQ, ReaComp, ReaXComp, ReaGate, ReaDelay) and free fx (Voxengo Marvel GEQ / OldSkoolVerb, Klanghelm IVGI, Audio Damage Rough Rider, Vladislav Goncharov Molot / Limiter No6 ).

DR11
http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/en/our-aim
better and more dynamic sound
Cygnus86
KVRer
 
8 posts since 22 Mar, 2014

Postby Cygnus86; Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:35 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

Hello everyone,

First-time poster here; just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions so far. Amazing work, especially considering this doesn't initially seem to be a complex synth, however the textures people have coaxed out of it are incredible.

I myself am working on my own submission. Using Reaper for the first time and I'm slowly learning about all the free plugs available. I found an amazing little ring modulator called Ring-O (http://music.service-1.de/html/wok_ring ... r_vst.html) and I wanted to know if this would be acceptable to use in this competition, as one of the rules states: "Any effect that transform the sounds to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth is not allowed."
I'm using it with two separate instances of OBXD, each feeding the left and right inputs on Ring-O. The reason was to create a hi-hat striking noise that I could layer with the white noise of the basic patch I was using for the sustain of the HH. Would this be considered transforming the sound of the synth too much?

Thanks for helping a noob. :help:
bjporter
KVRian
 
1245 posts since 18 Dec, 2010, from North America

Postby bjporter; Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:39 pm Re: One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions & Chat

Cygnus86 wrote:Hello everyone,

First-time poster here; just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions so far. Amazing work, especially considering this doesn't initially seem to be a complex synth, however the textures people have coaxed out of it are incredible.

I myself am working on my own submission. Using Reaper for the first time and I'm slowly learning about all the free plugs available. I found an amazing little ring modulator called Ring-O (http://music.service-1.de/html/wok_ring ... r_vst.html) and I wanted to know if this would be acceptable to use in this competition, as one of the rules states: "Any effect that transform the sounds to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth is not allowed."
I'm using it with two separate instances of OBXD, each feeding the left and right inputs on Ring-O. The reason was to create a hi-hat striking noise that I could layer with the white noise of the basic patch I was using for the sustain of the HH. Would this be considered transforming the sound of the synth too much?

Thanks for helping a noob. :help:


Wow! That's a super interesting technique. I want to say that being a modulation effect, it is not allowed:

Rules: "Any type of modulation effect like chorus, phaser, flanger etc is not allowed."
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments