One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

solidtrax wrote:Hey guys,

I noticed that the new HOFA IQ-Comp V2 can be downloaded and used without any restrictions until the first of june! Could it be possible to allow this plugin for OSC 61, 62 and 63?
Sorry not, 3rd party effects must all be freeware.. :|

Having finally made a first pass at ranking all the tracks, I am getting a feel for this system vs the 5 point system. The point system was a bit quicker to score as you could pretty much judge each track on its own merit. Arguably, that's a cop-out in that its a competition so the scores should be relative, and the new system prevents that cop-out. Alas, it also makes it a lot of work (when there's > 50 tracks anyway!) and makes one feel like they're jilting some very good tracks. :(

One valid complaint about the old system was some ppl would give out more points than others. e.g. if I have a lot of coffee in me while voting :hyper: I'll probably give out a lot of 5s and 4s, but those with experiences ears might give out a normal distribution and thus something like 2/3rd of the total points.

So I haz an idea. :hihi: Thinking broad strokes, not, like, build this for next month BJ. :wink: What if you could stack several tracks in the same slot vertically; sorta like Solitaire turned sideways. :ud: If you wanted you could have just 5 decks, or 10 or n or whatever. And the scoring system would enforce that each person give out (n(n + 1))/2 points as the new system does, but would do the math for you. Math which I haven't worked out, but each track within a bin would get the same score, which'd be 1/bin size of the total score allocated to that bin. Scores'd have to be floating point though. :borg:

psmacmur wrote:Having finally made a first pass at ranking all the tracks, I am getting a feel for this system vs the 5 point system. The point system was a bit quicker to score as you could pretty much judge each track on its own merit. Arguably, that's a cop-out in that its a competition so the scores should be relative, and the new system prevents that cop-out. Alas, it also makes it a lot of work (when there's > 50 tracks anyway!) and makes one feel like they're jilting some very good tracks. :(

One valid complaint about the old system was some ppl would give out more points than others. e.g. if I have a lot of coffee in me while voting :hyper: I'll probably give out a lot of 5s and 4s, but those with experiences ears might give out a normal distribution and thus something like 2/3rd of the total points.

So I haz an idea. :hihi: Thinking broad strokes, not, like, build this for next month BJ. :wink: What if you could stack several tracks in the same slot vertically; sorta like Solitaire turned sideways. :ud: If you wanted you could have just 5 decks, or 10 or n or whatever. And the scoring system would enforce that each person give out (n(n + 1))/2 points as the new system does, but would do the math for you. Math which I haven't worked out, but each track within a bin would get the same score, which'd be 1/bin size of the total score allocated to that bin. Scores'd have to be floating point though. :borg:
I Love it :) It's definitely something to think about. Not sure how the UX would be at this point - it adds another dimension of stacking right? But as you said Microsoft solitaire sorts that out, auto drop into a stack, but then we need an easy way to get the 'cards' out

Well, I'm old, so I'm envisioning something like the Windows 3.1 Cascade layout, within each stack. :oops: Only the top track's play button and waveform would be visible, but all would show their titles (in a smaller font perhaps). Tapping on a card (which as per Win 3.1 has both a side and the top showing) pops it to the top of the stack, making it playable. Could also pop on hover, but bear in mind there is no hover on most mobile devices (unless using an active stylus).

Not sure if this has been suggested or it had ever been done previously:

Since some other rules have been temporarily changed (using commercial synths is one for the latest OSC 60) I think it would be cool to have it where you can re-mix your own song with any one freely available synth, even if the song was written say... 1 or 2 years ago.

I have some songs from the past couple years that would be great to do this with, but the rules don't allow it. They weren't put up on iTunes or anything like that, just my own songs done in my free time.

We will visit the Musikmesse at Friday and Saturday, so if anyone of the OSC'ers will be there at the same time, we would love to shake hands and say hi! So, let us know please!! :hug:
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

solidtrax wrote:We will visit the Musikmesse at Friday and Saturday, so if anyone of the OSC'ers will be there at the same time, we would love to shake hands and say hi! So, let us know please!! :hug:
That's pretty cool, give any OSCers a greet for me. What are your plans for Musikmesse?

General Rules Vote - March 2014

Following some discussion after implementing a new (tracks) voting system it might be an idea to have a deciding poll about that and the alternatives.

There have also been other suggestions that have come up since last rules vote so will include those too.

So please enter your votes HERE before 1st April (KVR time).

If you want to vote again after making a mistake or changing your mind, please do so, but include the word revote or similar after your name.

Voted

Voted
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

I would very much like to make this 1-5 points / track voting again (like the previous). It worked fairly well, but now we can utilize the new site to make it better - and later on we can can always innovate in the future.

1-5 / track system will be a good foundation. This will all be a simple change on my end. Of course, do we keep the double panel - dragging mechanism, or do we go back to a single panel which has more room to add features later on - and easier to comment. Comments (not Replies) are possible from our site, so it should be a lot quicker experience rather than having to go back and forth between Soundcloud and the voting page.

Voted

I voted for the old system - it was fair and felt right. I am against voting by category since I find it weird (to say the least) to judge something when your skills don't allow you to make such judgements in the first place. I - for example - am not that good at mixing/mastering - how the heck would I be able to give points to someone else for that? Based on....what? You get my point. 1 - 5 point system overall is IMO the best way: you may score it for production, composition, or simply 'cause you like it, who cares :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:I voted for the old system - it was fair and felt right. I am against voting by category since I find it weird (to say the least) to judge something when your skills don't allow you to make such judgements in the first place. I - for example - am not that good at mixing/mastering - how the heck would I be able to give points to someone else for that? Based on....what? You get my point. 1 - 5 point system overall is IMO the best way: you may score it for production, composition, or simply 'cause you like it, who cares :)
Agreed :tu:

Simpler the better.

Voted

Voted :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Return to “Instruments”