InEQualizer

Official support for: signaldust.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bungle wrote: 2 When bands are bypassed the dot should go grey too (Much clearer to see what is bypassed)
Fair enough. I'll drop their saturation and intensity down so they are clearly inactive.. very simple change.
3 Could do with some extra filters (Particularly i like some very steep LC and HC for a a lot of things)
Thanks for comments. Seems there is a general interest for more LPF/HPF types, so I guess those need more priority than a full set of higher-order shapes.

But yeah, after quickly throwing together the "Salt tech preview" I'm back to working on this as the main priority.

How is development going?

ClubHo wrote:How is development going?
Working on it. :)

I don't want to go into specifics, because there's a few remaining problems to figure out (don't want to promise things before I have them working), but .. yeah, I'm adding some stuff.

So 0.9.1 is out now.

I've change a lot of things internally and really hope I didn't break anything. I've gone through most of the stuff, but didn't want to delay this any further, so please report if you notice anything that seems strange or broken.

The main changes:
- rewrote most of the audio engine (selective internal bypass, even smoother interpolation, etc)
- alternate "absolute" phase mode for exact latency (might also sound better in mid-side mode)
- no longer spends CPU on updating the analyzer with editor closed (duh)
- near-gray handles for bypassed bands
- higher-order (4/6/8) versions for all types
- analyzer can be disabled or set to input or output only
- slight mid-channel attenuation at high width-settings
- probably some small changes I forgot

For the higher-order types I mostly went with what I personally felt as the most useful thing for each case. There's a lot of flexibility and it might make sense to add more interesting designs in the future, but for now I picked some bread-and-butter designs that have some attractive properties.

Couldn't decide for a single design for higher-order peaking filters, so there's no separate "bell" and "band shelf" types where the first one is closer to the 2nd order design and the second one is flat with sharp edges. I'm not sure if the Bessel-based bell-type is the best possible (maybe smoothing the phase at the edges would make more sense than flattening the filter-band group delay, I don't know), but it seemed like a reasonable compromise for now.

The low/high-cut filters give Butterworth with 0dB gain for the flattest possible pass-band. The band-pass is based on Bessel (which is what I used for the "bell" type) to add some versatility, as I figured the Butterworth band-pass would have been very similar to a high/low-pass pair and for accurate edges it's easier to setup such a pair.

Should I assume that the update has made everyone speechless? :P

Wow, this is really nice. It's a wonderful EQ. When I tested it before, I was able to get it to null with Equilibrium. Unfortunately, the mouse wheel still doesn't work in Studio One. What would make this EQ perfect is greater gain possibilities for sound shaping. I know you didn't want to add features so I feel terrible for asking. But could you add the ability to have +/- 24 db overall gain adjustment?
With that, this EQ would pretty much become an instant buy.

Thanks,

Club Ho.

ClubHo wrote:Wow, this is really nice. It's a wonderful EQ. When I tested it before, I was able to get it to null with Equilibrium. Unfortunately, the mouse wheel still doesn't work in Studio One. What would make this EQ perfect is greater gain possibilities for sound shaping. I know you didn't want to add features so I feel terrible for asking. But could you add the ability to have +/- 24 db overall gain adjustment?
With that, this EQ would pretty much become an instant buy.
The wheel issue in S1 is known and not unique to this plugin (it's a framework issue). I'd like to have it fixed, but so far haven't figured out where the problem might be. Sorry about that, I'll try to look into that in the near term.

As for features, I'm not against adding features as long as they add something useful and can be implemented without compromising sound quality or work-flow. In the case of gain-range, the current design is mostly a user-interface compromise between accuracy and range.

I can think of two possibilities for extending it: either make it configurable, or add some auto-zooming logic that extends the range when the bands are set outside the default range... or maybe even both? Obviously adding a configurable range would be quite simple, but not very elegant, while adding a zooming setup (that feels nice to use) would be somewhat trickier. I need to experiment though.

Anyway, feel free to suggest other features, I'm happy to at least consider anything. :)

Any news on this amazing eq?

Thanks,

Club Ho

ClubHo wrote:Any news on this amazing eq?
Well, after a really difficult decision, I have come to the conclusion that in order to make this competitive as a product, some further non-trivial work is necessary in terms of both features and work-flow. There are simply just too many limitations built in to the current plugin, and placing problematic restrictions on what I can do without some redesign or ugly compromises. The more I use it myself, the more problems I find, and I really don't like that even in my free plugins, much less if I'm asking for money.

So it has become clear that my initial release plans were somewhat premature, and I should revisit some of the original design decisions and make sure I get them right this time. Additionally, in the near future I will also be somewhat busy with other work (in terms of Signaldust plugins this is still a priority, together with Salt, but I don't exactly make a living out of my own plugin work), so I've come to the conclusion that all things considered it is best to go back to closed development and testing for the time being.

I wanted to leave the thread here though, so I can notify when I have more news.

Can't wait to try it out! :)
It's easy if you know how

Any new news?

ClubHo wrote:Any new news?
Well, I have an optional mouse-wheel workaround in my framework now, and I've managed to improve the phase-fit while also bringing down latency a bit .. but really it still needs some significant rework in the GUI and I haven't really found the time for that yet. Among other things, there should be an easier way to select different variants of different types directly (probably that means a two-level menu, even if I don't really like those too much).

I also looked at increasing the gain range, but that one also introduces some additional complications with the bandwidth interactions and I might need to figure out how to implement some kind of range switching (or maybe scrolling, I don't know) into the GUI to still allow for accurate control with typical settings.

So in short.. there's been a tiny bit of progress, but not a whole lot. :|

Any update on this ?
DDMF is really starting to get right up my schnoz after the last few updates (the eq not the developer) and this was the only other EQ i really liked/clicked with.
Duh

Return to “Signaldust”