What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist

69 posts since 31 Dec, 2012

Postby Monkberry; Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 am Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

Finally have a weekend off to spend some time with Iris, which I've had since last Fall. I could get lost in this for months. So many possibilities, so little time. When I first got this, I remember thinking I need to get some good 3rd party presets. Guess I was so used to the standard Virus / Moog / etc. VSTi emulations and letting sound designers do the work for me. The beauty in Iris is your imagination runs the show. The internet makes it so easy to find wave samples of just about anything you can think of and if you can't, get a field recorder & record your own. I love the layout and having 3 slots for layering samples plus one for Sub waveforms with individual LFOs and effect sends distortion, chorus, delay, and reverb is sweet . The spectrogram window is a lot of fun to work with. I get the feeling not too many KVR folks use this but it's such a great program aside from the lack of onboard control over sample playback time. Just thought I'd share some love.
KVRAF

4485 posts since 24 May, 2002, from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Postby Krakatau; Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

+1 i agree a lot,

... it's a real gems for (dead) easy, customized sound design
KVRAF

2698 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:21 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

+1 :hug:
I got mine through a package sale and then jumped on the Patchpool Subscription as well as the Luftrum set. Thing is, once you have all those elements, clearing the patch and using the samples to create your own is endless. And nowhere as difficult as some try to make it seem. This one is addictive, and I've entered the new plane of sampling myself via a Sony PCM field recorder and Izotope's RX3. And now wanting RX3 Advanced. The only thing is I still don't think I get enough time with it.
But it has become one of my favorites and I use it with other VSTs in Blue Cat's Patchwork to get some very interesting and usable combinations.
I have become an Izotope fan in general for their processing and editing. Although not really into their Stutter/Tweaker VI, Iris is a must for me.
KVRian

997 posts since 11 Sep, 2008, from UK

Postby sazb30; Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:25 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

So when you clear the patch (ie, press 'new') do all the amp envelopes, LFO's and effects settings remain in place?
KVRAF

Postby Krakatau; Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:27 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

@ BBFG#

indeed, coupling it with RX3 (and some more generic audio editors BTW) is a winner combination ,IMO
KVRAF

Postby Krakatau; Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:29 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

sazb30 wrote:So when you clear the patch (ie, press 'new') do all the amp envelopes, LFO's and effects settings remain in place?

i don't think so : initializing process

...better change samples in their respective windowa to keep some parameters untouched
KVRist

282 posts since 29 Aug, 2006, from Eta Carinae

Postby arachnaut; Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:45 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

BBFG# wrote:...I got mine through a package sale and then jumped on the Patchpool Subscription ...

Simon's Patchpool subscription for Iris is very nice:

http://www.patchpool.de/izotope_iris.html
Jim Hurley
google.com/+JimHurley
http://www.arachnaut.net
http://soundcloud.com/arachnaut
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64-bit)
KVRist

105 posts since 21 Sep, 2008

Postby blackflag; Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

Did they ever add proper time stretching of samples? Iris is definitely cool, but feels sorta half finished.
KVRist

410 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Postby MillerSam; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:06 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

Also here really love this plugins. GUI is fantastic, no so "difficult" to learn and a lot of fun.
With the possibility to drag samples in it, it's a unlimited fun factory ;)
KVRAF

7629 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:08 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

I would also love it, but I love my money more :oops:

Padshop Pro can do a lot of Iris work, at a fraction of the price.
Racing the clouds home
KVRAF

Postby BBFG#; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:17 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

Krakatau wrote:@ BBFG#
indeed, coupling it with RX3 (and some more generic audio editors BTW) is a winner combination ,IMO

The Sony Recorder came with Sound Forge Audio 'lite' version I use also. I've added a couple of other free samplers that I haven't yet got around to trying too. (OcenAudio, TX816, Mangle).
KVRAF

7792 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:18 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

Numanoid wrote:I would also love it, but I love my money more :oops:

Padshop Pro can do a lot of Iris work, at a fraction of the price.

Iris uses spectral synthesis while padshop uses granular synthesis. Not exactly the same...

Ingo
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
KVRAF

Postby BBFG#; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:21 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

sazb30 wrote:So when you clear the patch (ie, press 'new') do all the amp envelopes, LFO's and effects settings remain in place?

I 'clear' and mute/solo each osc. So everything else remains until I change them (Samples, filters, effects, etc.).
KVRAF

7629 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:25 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

Ingonator wrote:Iris uses spectral synthesis while padshop uses granular synthesis. Not exactly the same...

Both can mangle sound quite a bit, drag and drop your own samples, layer them, tinker with 'em, so even though method of synthesis is not the same, they got some similarties
Racing the clouds home
KVRAF

Postby BBFG#; Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:27 am Re: Dang, I love Izotope's Iris

BTW, Alchemy does Granular and Spectral, but the visual process is more detailed in Iris. And Padshop/Iris seems to have a different overall character than Alchemy. I don't feel any of them really discount each other.
SonarX3; Camel; Zebra2HZ; Iris
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments