desktop around 1000 usd?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so now i have 1000 usd because the 19th was my birthday but still im not 100 percent sure on what to buy. its ridiculous how swamped the pc market is. im looking for a i7 with 16 gigs of ram. please help.

What do you think of this one Astral?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 20193301:s

Happy Muisking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

You may also find something here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... qf3ouhao_b

You are in US right?

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

The W8 model has a bit (just of a bit) less graphics card and is $20 less.

I would probably go with the W8 just because the OS is newer tech - HOWEVER - be sure you can update drivers for your sound card and other hardware first.

Otherwise, not much difference tween the two. Save the money if you can (and want to of course :hihi:)

Good luck which ever you decide. I'm sure you will enjoy either. ;)

Happy usiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

does windows 8 run all windows 7 applications? i hear a lot of bad things about windows 8.

dsan@mail.com wrote:You may also find something here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... qf3ouhao_b

You are in US right?

Happy Musiking!
dsan
yes us.

AstralExistence wrote:does windows 8 run all windows 7 applications? i hear a lot of bad things about windows 8.
In theory if it ran on W7 it will run on W8.

There are two camps with opinions of W8;
Camp 1 - (with the majority of users so it seems by reviews and posts around town) - "It's great".

Camp 2 - "It sucks".

Getting people to elaborate why they feel the way they do is another issue.

I'm not a user of W8; however, I will be when I build my next puter; unless of course W9 or 10 is around.

Mainly because It becomes impossible to obtain a previous version.

W7 has been very stable for me.

It seems the biggest complaint about W8 is the GUI. I believe you can set it up though to look like the standard Windows user interface so this should not be much of an issue.

Most users are commenting it is very stable and runs everything they throw at it. I believe this is all relevant to the hardware. That's why I suggested earleir to be sure you can update drivers for any hardware you want to use with it.

As far as I know most hardware works on W8 that worked for you on W7. Still, it is better to be safe than sorry. Things you ran on XP may give you problems; although there may be work-arounds.

Botton line - I wouldn't be afraid of it but I would do my homework first.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

If you are afraid of 8, you can get an OEM of win7x64 which might not be a really bad idea. The asus is going to come loaded with a bunch of garbage you don't need likely. I don't know what it costs.

BTW, that chip is a mad-man. I have it. I paid WAY WAY more building my own. Those prices seem almost too good to be true!

It's true...

Nah i am good on Win 7 for the next 10 years. 8 is a bigger failure then Vista.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

How so?

This is important to me since I plan to build a new computer in the coming months with the purpose of the latest/greatest.

FWIW, my Vista machine does just fine, for now, but I know it will crash when I least want it to. I honestly haven't seemed to have the problems others have reported.

So, I will really like to know why you feel it is a failure BasariStudios.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

I have Vista on two machines one 32b the other 64b. The 64b has been every bit as stable as Win7 and besides for a couple of the aesthetics, seems to really be the same OS. The 32b is not bad either and its problems seem more related to its hardware (1.46 cpu/2gb ram/ 5400rpm HDD).
My Win7 is great but two of those are just tablets used mostly for general internet duties.
Win8 seems to be fine and a must for implementing touch screen capabilities. But it does seem purposely bloated for the internet 'me' market.
After installing it, I was able to kill about 20gb of useless programs/apps, but I haven't been able to remove 'The Store' which seems to be embedded into the registry. Somehow, I think it's an over sized app which effectively acts as a type of trojan for those of us wishing to keep our studio offline as much as possible.
Throughout the years, the only version of Windows that really frustrated me was Win95. But I've rarely had the problems others complain about in transitioning from one to the next.

Now this is useful information; thank you BBFG#.

To just issue a blanket statement; "It's a failure", tells me, and others, nothing.

About this "Store", can you elaborate? Is it an app that runs in the background, eating up resources?

This sounds like a tracker program; something MS was adamant about preventing at one time in the past.

Have you tried editing the registry to remove it? If so, does it mess up the OS so it becomes unusable/unstable?

Is it really something to worry about, or are you like me and just don't want anything you don't use on your machine?

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

I look at it like this. Win7 supports more than 8 (on paper) and does everything you need unless you want some of the fancy stuff. So when I built this one, I went win7 knowing that it will be supported until at least 2020 and I already knew it works well.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”