Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

It's Chrome claiming something is interfering with a secure connection and I might be exposed to an attacker if I override. It's implying (strongly) that I'm somehow being redirected to a fake website. Very weird, it's never done this before. Keeps happening with these links, though.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

I also use Chrome, I sometimes get a warning in the download bar at the bottom, asking me if I want to save anyway or abort. When I know the site I save it anyway.
Didn't get the message with the OBXD download, though.

It works correctly here at home. I've just tried once again (the link for Windows) in Chrome, Firefox, Cyberfox, and IE.

I'm sure that you have something very recent which interacts with your browser. You should check your addons, extensions, etc.

And perhaps, verify if you have not something which has been installed behind your back...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

And in the meanwhile, I have created a temporary mirror in my DepositStorage. It is here, the file named Obxd_Mirror in this folder :
http://dfiles.eu/folders/HOUQN3MVZ (it is a folder where I share other freewares which are somewhat difficult to find)

This zip file contains all the files which are to download on the original website, I downloaded all the files half an hour ago, zipped them in a unique zip and uploaded this mirror zip file, so it is as fresh as you'd like your croissants at breakfast.

Tell me if you meet a problem to download it...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Hey, thanks, I appreciate that.

I'm not going to worry about it until I get this same message from other websites. Hasn't happened yet so I'm not concerned.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

80's percussion - the entire song is 100% obxd:

https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/bjporte ... ng/s-SvIwh

You should have made some presets for it weeks ago, hard to believe the drums are from the OBXD :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:[...] hard to believe the drums are from the OBXD :)
indeed!... I thought the same, as I tried to make some drums with it and the kick kept on sounding somewhat fased or something... especially in the attack transients, no 2 kick hits came out sounding the same, I'm not sure why, really puzzling...
Last edited by Axis1~SL61 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

fluffy_little_something wrote:You should have made some presets for it weeks ago, hard to believe the drums are from the OBXD :)
Thanks! Unfortunately it's the not the presets but the layering and use of compression, and eq that creates that sound really. Also the Kjaerhaus Clasic reverb gives a great 80's sound.

Maybe I'll upload a version without inserts to show. If I complete the song - i'll release the project files and presets hopefully.

I'm trying not to advertise like "hey guys go and join the one synth challenge" but yeah it's going on this month, so a great excuse to use and learn OBXD.

bjporter wrote:Thanks! Unfortunately it's the not the presets but the layering and use of compression, and eq that creates that sound really. Also the Kjaerhaus Clasic reverb gives a great 80's sound.
Hiya bj! Sounds nice!

But it's interesting to note that there's somewhat of a contradiction in OSC rules with regards to processing; the rules state:
OSC Rules wrote:- Any effect that transform the sounds to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth is not allowed.
And then they go on to say that DAW, freeware and a synth's own built-in FX are allowed. But as you just demonstrated, even simple EQ and compression can drastically alter the sound of a synth. ;) And in many cases if you turn off the built-in FX of a synth, the sound you hear becomes a shadow of what it was with the effects. So IMHO, the rules regarding the usage of effects in the OSC need some scrutiny.

It's interesting to note that my entry in the last OSC was originally an Obxd demo from which I pulled out ALL the commercial effects I was using to cater to the rules (with some regret!). Then I actually chose to use the least I needed: outside of a single stereo reverb for the entire mix, a delay on the solo, and a freeware comp on the 2-bus there's no other effects and the only EQ was to roll off some of the bass on some patches because they muddied the mix. I wanted to see how well I could do with minimal processing and IMO, it ended up sounding pretty good with the OOTB sounds.

I'm looking forward to listening to all the entries in the Obxd OSC.

Breeze wrote:
bjporter wrote:Thanks! Unfortunately it's the not the presets but the layering and use of compression, and eq that creates that sound really. Also the Kjaerhaus Clasic reverb gives a great 80's sound.
Hiya bj! Sounds nice!

But it's interesting to note that there's somewhat of a contradiction in OSC rules with regards to processing; the rules state:
OSC Rules wrote:- Any effect that transform the sounds to make them ..
Hi Breeze,
I copied that here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p5687076 as it's an interesting question, but more relevant the osc thread.

Thought I'd mention Obxd gets a half page mention in Computer Music freeware news issue 203.
The write up ends on this sentence "If this was a commercial synth, we'd be telling you to buy it. 'Nuff said"

On that note anyone know if 2Dat has a donation's button?

Axis1~SL61 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:[...] hard to believe the drums are from the OBXD :)
indeed!... I thought the same, as I tried to make some drums with it and the kick kept on sounding somewhat fased or something... especially in the attack transients, no 2 kick hits came out sounding the same, I'm not sure why, really puzzling...
Yes, I noticed the same thing, the punch and volume with kick drums come and go like in big waves or intervals. Maybe it has to do with the extreme settings that are often used for making drums on normal synths, like resonance to max...

For people thinking that OBXD don't work at all in FL Studio... to help a user at Audiofanzine I've just downloaded the demo (version 11.0.4) and after about one hour to investigate in that shitty DAW I've managed to make OBXD work as in all the other DAWs.

What a headache, that DAW!

I've created a doc in PDF explaining how to make it work in FL Studio. I wrote the doc in french but I'm sure everybody is clever enough to understand it, if necessary with Google translate. If it is really a mess to understand it... tell me and I'll make an english version.

It is here.

A thing which is sure is that I'll never purchase that hassle ! It is so simple with all the other DAWs!!!

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Axis1~SL61 wrote:
Yes, I noticed the same thing, the punch and volume with kick drums come and go like in big waves or intervals. Maybe it has to do with the extreme settings that are often used for making drums on normal synths, like resonance to max...
Actually, it's precisely the random variations of the engine that gives the Obxd its rich sound that also makes it difficult to have predictable behaviors like we typically want in percussion, especially with the attack. In the original demo I did before the OSC I actually took the best kick sample I had from a render and copied it (and then didn't use it in the OSC because of the rules... ) because I found the attack wandered too much.

I remember commenting in this thread at some point that it could be useful if we could control more of the randomness and if the VAR controls could have more stringent control over the randomness, particularly with regards to the envelope. :shrug:
Last edited by Breeze on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”