Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
25453 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:35 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

nasenmann wrote:
DuX wrote:My favourite one. I watch it from time to time, or parts of it, for inspiration. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Wjc6QYuKI

Thank you! I knew the bbc had to have something like that.
I think i'll spend the afternoon in doculand!


Watched that yesterday - it's not really much of a documentary though, just a playlist with a few text comments. Mostly good stuff although I would have replaced the dreadful Vienna with one of Ultravox's earlier numbers (My Sex) and kicked Howard Jones off completely.
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
25453 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

Numanoid wrote:
DuX wrote:My favourite one. I watch it from time to time, or parts of it, for inspiration. :D

I just don't get why New Order is in that while pure synth acts like Howard Jones isn't? :?


He is in it unfortunately - the only parts I fast forwarded were that and the Pet Shop Boys
experimental.crow
KVRAF
 
4950 posts since 9 Mar, 2003

Postby experimental.crow; Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:40 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

Image
User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
 
3294 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:43 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

Also what Chopper mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KkW8Ul7Q1I
Great doco. People who don't like pop will like this one much better. ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
19886 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Postby Numanoid; Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:10 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

aMUSEd wrote:He is in it unfortunately - the only parts I fast forwarded were that and the Pet Shop Boys

I saw Synth Britannina some time ago, I can't remember that Howard was interviewed? :?
Ceefax: Information, fact, figures
User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
 
34097 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:26 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

aMUSEd wrote:
nasenmann wrote:
DuX wrote:My favourite one. I watch it from time to time, or parts of it, for inspiration. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Wjc6QYuKI

Thank you! I knew the bbc had to have something like that.
I think i'll spend the afternoon in doculand!


Watched that yesterday - it's not really much of a documentary though, just a playlist with a few text comments. Mostly good stuff although I would have replaced the dreadful Vienna with one of Ultravox's earlier numbers (My Sex) and kicked Howard Jones off completely.




are you getting it mixed up with the companion show? synth brittania at the bbc?
one is performances the other is more interview based.
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
25453 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:28 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

vurt wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
nasenmann wrote:
DuX wrote:My favourite one. I watch it from time to time, or parts of it, for inspiration. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Wjc6QYuKI

Thank you! I knew the bbc had to have something like that.
I think i'll spend the afternoon in doculand!


Watched that yesterday - it's not really much of a documentary though, just a playlist with a few text comments. Mostly good stuff although I would have replaced the dreadful Vienna with one of Ultravox's earlier numbers (My Sex) and kicked Howard Jones off completely.




are you getting it mixed up with the companion show? synth brittania at the bbc?
one is performances the other is more interview based.


Probably - didn't realise there were two of them
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
19886 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Postby Numanoid; Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

aMUSEd wrote:dreadful Vienna
:nutter:
Ceefax: Information, fact, figures
highkoo
KVRAF
 
3551 posts since 25 Jun, 2004

Postby highkoo; Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

Image
blackflag
KVRist
 
174 posts since 21 Sep, 2008

Postby blackflag; Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:42 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

American Hardcore

The Decline of Western Civilization

Hated: GG Allin & the Murder Junkies

The Devil and Daniel Johnston
Last edited by blackflag on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
toine6
KVRian
 
1267 posts since 28 Mar, 2002, from Salt Lake City, Utah - U.S.A.

Postby toine6; Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:57 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

I'm in a hurry so this will be a sloppy list.

- The Devil & Daniel Johnston

- A Band Called Death

- Theremin: An Electric Odyssey

- Who's Harry Nilsson (and why's everybody talking about him?)

- When You're Strange (The Doors doc)

There are a bunch of others I can't remember right now, bah!
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
19886 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Postby Numanoid; Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:36 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

nasenmann wrote:There's another recent one in a probably similar vein, "Totally Wired". It's about the berlin based synth heaven "Schneider's Büro", and the guys selling their synths there.

Included on the latest Beat Mag DVD 128. I just hope it aint dubbed to german only :pray:
Ceefax: Information, fact, figures
BertKoor
KVRAF
 
9267 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:53 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

Can't believe this was not mentioned yet:

Standing in the Shadows of Motown

(and thx Numanoid for bumping a necro thread... again)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
deastman
KVRAF
 
5672 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:02 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

Numanoid wrote:
DuX wrote:My favourite one. I watch it from time to time, or parts of it, for inspiration. :D

I just don't get why New Order is in that while pure synth acts like Howard Jones isn't? :?

When it comes to the New Wave period and early 80's music it seems like New Order/Joy Division is like ketchup for journalists, it must be poured over everything :help:

I seem to recall that Howard Jones was in that. He represented "the beginning of the end", showing a clip of the video for "New Song" with him dancing around with a mime. I thought that was a particularly unwarranted cheap shot, but maybe that's just me...
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
Protocol_b
KVRist
 
107 posts since 11 Nov, 2012

Postby Protocol_b; Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:07 am Re: Name some great music documentaries

'The Wrecking Crew'. Apparently there was only one actual band playing in the 60's. Very enlightening.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)