EQ Queries

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got a couple of questions to ask on EQ

1. On EQ plugins (each one I have) there is an existing 'output' or 'gain' db knob
I know this will increase the output of your equalization but what really is the point of this is the EQing is already engaged?

2. I sometimes see one EQ being used straight after another on producers fx strips, what is the use in EQing right after another beforehand?

thanks in advance for any answers/opinions

1. If you carve off a lot (most engineers rather cut than boost) it's nice to compensate with a bit of extra gain so you don't have to adjust the mix.

2. not all EQs are EQual ;-) Horses for courses...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I sometimes see one EQ being used straight after another on producers fx strips, what is the use in EQing right after another beforehand?
It's just preference and can add some clarity to project. usually one EQ is enough, but you may want to seprate them just to have better overview.

For example I tend to use one EQ for mid/side rolloff and the other for differential equalization.
Another possibility is to have one static EQ and the other automated for fade effects.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

The output control is there to allow you to compensate for volume changes that result from equalization.

If you have a big EQ boost it'll raise the overall volume, so you have to compensate to make sure your actions really improved the sound or just made it louder. It's easy to get fooled because louder generally sounds better. Conversely, you may need to boost the overall level to compensate for a big cut.

Using two EQs in series lets you give broad boosts or cuts in one and precise, surgical adjustments in the other. You might want to notch out some low-frequency resonances, for example, but still bring up the overall low end. It can also be helpful if you need to make a lot of changes but your equalizer has a limited number of bands.

Personally, I never do this simply because it's an unnecessary complication and I use an EQ that can have more bands than I'll ever need.

Return to “Production Techniques”