New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:I had a chance to check out System 1 at Messe (we had to guard the drum synth and switch it off because there was only ever a mix on the headphones). It's better than expected, but it's also very "generic" in sound. It failed a few tests that we do when we examine analogue filters. For instance the filter self oscillation doesn't quite "attach" to the oscillator frequency, which I merely connotate with digital sound. OTOH controls were smooth (not steppy). Aliasing levels are not too bad. Modulations are fast and snappy. It's state of the art for a hardware VA, but it needs some more work to fulfill optimistic expectations.

Most importantly, the "Plug Out" switch was dead. No sight of SH-101, System 700 whatsoever. Just someone stating that these are planned and "yes they will be VST". I'm not sure why they had a real SH-101 there because they were not showing an emulation of it at all. I was very disappointed because checking this out was the main reason I went to Messe for. Maybe next year :-/
Nice to see a balanced report back on this. I get the feeling it's far too early yet as release date is still several months away, July if I am not mistaken. Currently it's being marketed, IMHO, on what will come and till that's delivered Im on the fence. I think there's currently better options out there at the moment for the price. But that's my personal opinion and needs.

Of course if we see something similar hosting zebra, diva, ace...bish bosh £$€'s :)

I'd like to see a proper A/B with the TR-8. Some guy on the forum says its 99% identical to his 909.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

One if the cool features of TR-8 seems to be that you could add an FX like the Reverb for just certain steps like e.g. step 3 and 12 if you like (of course you also use it for all steps). For that there are the "Step" buttons e.g. at the Reverb and Delay controls:
http://www.rolandmusik.de/produkte/TR-8 ... _1-big.jpg

AFAIK you could also use different effect parameter values (e.g. Time) for each step.

There is also a Step button of the external in which seems to be related to the Side-chaining. If you have e.g. a TB-3 connected you could use side-chaining for certain steps.

For the Kick and Snare there are dedicated "Comp" knob to add compression for those. Those Kicks from the TR-8 could be REALLY fat.

If you have a DAW/host software connected (at Musikmesse they used Ableton Live) you could have one track for each of the 11 channels. TR-8 could output audio via USB (the TB-3 too).

ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Quite excited about the tr8 BUT I'm gonna wait a year or so before I get one when the initial panic buying has dyed down...sounds grea8...08 :hihi:
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Urs wrote:
"No sight of SH-101, System 700 whatsoever. Just someone stating that these are planned and "yes they will be VST"."

Well, at least for me, this is some of the best news Ive heard in a while! Bring em on! and ummm.... make em kick arse..... ehhh....yeah! :pray:
Who is "I"? What is "I"? This has yet to be explained.

Ingonator wrote:One if the cool features of TR-8 seems to be that you could add an FX like the Reverb for just certain steps like e.g. step 3 and 12 if you like (of course you also use it for all steps). For that there are the "Step" buttons e.g. at the Reverb and Delay controls:
http://www.rolandmusik.de/produkte/TR-8 ... _1-big.jpg

AFAIK you could also use different effect parameter values (e.g. Time) for each step.
obviously not in same league as a 96khz VA, but the Korg ES1mkII with 808/909
samples, and it's patch-per-pattern trip, lets you have reverb/delay on a pattern,
and it's pretty effective(sadly only stereo out)-copy the pattern, turn off the effect,
etc. you can get quite a bit of movement going on. bit of a classic, that one.
(howls of protest/mirth)

Can anyone confirm that the TR8 will be expandible with additional drum machine models in the future? I've read that it will be. I'd be really interested in biting if it is.

There's been a bit of a 'buzz' with UK retailers today,several retailers had some up for sale online over the weekend but they have pretty much sold out everywhere...I just missed out on the initial dispatch so I get mine later next month,

BTW...the tr707 sounds will be available in the unit also it has just been confirmed in a future update,can't wait for this unit to arrive...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/tr- ... r-8-596900

dcfac73 wrote:Can anyone confirm that the TR8 will be expandible with additional drum machine models in the future? I've read that it will be. I'd be really interested in biting if it is.
The TR707 has been mentioned

for the System-1, a Roland rep mentioned the SH2 & Promars in a video.

Anyone know if the TR8 has some distortion/overdrive effects?

Kriminal wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:Can anyone confirm that the TR8 will be expandible with additional drum machine models in the future? I've read that it will be. I'd be really interested in biting if it is.
The TR707 has been mentioned
Now that's just funny.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

meldavid wrote:Anyone know if the TR8 has some distortion/overdrive effects?
Compression on certain Drums like Kick/Snare, Accent, Reverb(7 types), Delay(7 types), no distortion/overdrive, oh yes and scatter :lol:

breakmixer wrote:
meldavid wrote:Anyone know if the TR8 has some distortion/overdrive effects?
Compression on certain Drums like Kick/Snare, Accent, Reverb(7 types), Delay(7 types), no distortion/overdrive, oh yes and scatter :lol:
That's going to get shortened to "scat." "Yeah bro, when I'm rocking it, I like to drop in some scat to spice up the mix."

[/quote]I think too subtle for the subset of people that are going to be interested in these products in the first place.[/quote]

are you kidding,the new TR8 has now sold out everywhere in the uk :o

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”