Sonimus Britson - out now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Britson

Every little bit helps to me. When I add britson or satson to a buss, it opens up more.

Anyone else like pronouncing it 'Bright-sun'? I dont know why, I like the way this rolls off the tongue, haha.

But I've been thinking of using this with the SatsonCM version that came with Computer Music magazine, mixing and matching on channels, then the Buss on busses/2-buss.

Anyone know if SatsonCM has any real differences to the full version? No FAT mode, and no SatsonBuss, but it has filters and saturation still

The buss is important imho.

Oh no I know, I have Britson so have the Buss as well. But I wonder he close to the satson Channel the satson CM really is, or if he took out any upsampling or whatever.

Also, on effect sends and AUX tracks, do you use channel or buss?

djanthonyw wrote:Answers revealed in GS thread. :)
Aww crap! Was planning on doing the ABX test today at work but of course I couldn't help but read the answers already. Damn. I must say that what I remember from listening to the tracks on friday I did like 5 and 8 quite a bit (yeah, I'm one of those people).. I also spotted the track that didn't have any emulation at all (wasn't that hard to spot) but I also didn't spot the Nebula ones correctly! So this definitely shows that in a normal listening environment, for me being at home, through my laptops built in sound card + the iPhone white crappy earbuds, I couldn't really notice the tiny subtleties.

In the studio however the differences are quite noticeable.. hence the ABX test would be nice.

.. which reminds me of a program request if somebody has the time to create one: A proper ABX tester that allows you to select multiple tracks and multiple different plugins. Then it would shuffle all these tracks and combine with all the different plugins. Then simply the user would have to go through the normal ABX process and you'd get statistics and results plotted for you at the end. Would make for an awesome ear trainer application (that's how it should probably be marketed and sold as)! People could train to hear small EQ and dynamics changes. It could also be used to learn synth programming and to hear small nuances.. actually somebody had a kickstarter for an application with some kind of synth training features. Forgot the name of that thing but it looked really promising although a bit too simplistic for synthesis veterans.

Perhaps there would be a market for such a thing?

Cheers!
bManic
Last edited by bmanic on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Also, here is my critique and feedback on the test itself as I received some flak for my wish for more information on the test itself (which Anthony did provide).
bmanic wrote:
diogo_c wrote:You're also biased (towards Nebula) so...just saying!

:lol:
I'm definitely biased towards Nebula as it's the one I seem to prefer mostly but ironically it's the one I use the least due to the heavy CPU and memory requirements. I frequently mix tracks that have more than 60 channels, often over 100 channels (this of course includes all the effects busses that get added or have been bounced from hardware) so using Nebula in such a huge mix and on tight budgets and lack of time is a complete no-go.

Having said that, my original request for more specifics was because it's quite rare that people setup these listening tests fairly and correctly.

For instance, your link to my comment in the Britson thread just shows how important it is to pay attention to details. Here, AlexB's MFC, modern flagship console, wasn't tested it seems. It was the Modern Logic Console (SSL console emulation I guess) which in my opinion isn't all that impressive, at least what I've heard from the AlexB audio examples. It's very subtle and to my ears not very pleasing. In the Britson thread I specifically mentioned that I liked the MFC a lot and was fairly certain I would find it in a properly done blind test.

Also note that several additional plugins were used here that never got mentioned which already skew the test quite a bit (Wave Arts tube saturator, which depending on how it was used, isn't all that subtle either.. quite strong harmonics added).

So my original request for information and critique towards this kind of "here are some files! Now spot the differences!" tests without any thorough information and rigorous testing methods still stands. Another important question has to be the motive of a test. What was it here? To prove that Britson is "good enough"? To see who is right and wrong in spotting the various plugins? Or simply to see the preference of people, which mix they prefer?

Motive should be very clear, always. Method should be very clear, always. Then we get some good relevant data (motive pointing towards what data is being gathered).

I'm not trying to be a wise ass, seriously. I just think it's worth getting good quality blind tests done as it's extremely good ear training practice and personally I always find them rather fun (yeah, I'm weird like that!). :lol:
Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:I also spotted the ming that didn't have any emulation at all (wasn't that hard to spot)
You're better than me, I couldn't tell the rest of them far apart from each other.

Interesting plugin but do i need it if have strip bus,slate vcc and api vision?0

lacandon wrote:Interesting plugin but do i need it if have strip bus,slate vcc and api vision?0
Probably not. If you're getting good results with your current tools and you're happy with them then you shouldn't need them. Less is more, it keeps you focused and makes you learn your tools much more.

bmanic wrote: .. which reminds me of a program request if somebody has the time to create one: A proper ABX tester that allows you to select multiple tracks and multiple different plugins. Then it would shuffle all these tracks and combine with all the different plugins. Then simply the user would have to go through the normal ABX process and you'd get statistics and results plotted for you at the end. Would make for an awesome ear trainer application (that's how it should probably be marketed and sold as)! People could train to hear small EQ and dynamics changes. It could also be used to learn synth programming and to hear small nuances.. actually somebody had a kickstarter for an application with some kind of synth training features. Forgot the name of that thing but it looked really promising although a bit too simplistic for synthesis veterans.

This is such a cool idea! I would totally kickstart support that. Though I am not sure about the market for that because usually people want the shiny stuff and instant gratification and not spend hours training and listening (and that includes me :oops: )

lacandon wrote:Interesting plugin but do i need it if have strip bus,slate vcc and api vision?0
No, unless you need the CPU. This is probably the only reason I bought this, but I'm glad I did.

I love Strip, but I almost can get lost in it. SO MANY CONTROLS, which I love, but I almost prefer a simpler, set and forget type at this point. And Strip seems to be eating my CPU like the cookie monster.

fese wrote:
bmanic wrote: .. which reminds me of a program request if somebody has the time to create one: A proper ABX tester that allows you to select multiple tracks and multiple different plugins. Then it would shuffle all these tracks and combine with all the different plugins. Then simply the user would have to go through the normal ABX process and you'd get statistics and results plotted for you at the end. Would make for an awesome ear trainer application (that's how it should probably be marketed and sold as)! People could train to hear small EQ and dynamics changes. It could also be used to learn synth programming and to hear small nuances.. actually somebody had a kickstarter for an application with some kind of synth training features. Forgot the name of that thing but it looked really promising although a bit too simplistic for synthesis veterans.

Eh maybe, the thing this test ultimately showed me is that nothing sounds 'better' not even hardware, and people that claim such(that anything sounds better, not just hardware) are kind of dipshits.

That's like saying spaghetti tastes better. Based on what? What if you need an ice cream flavour, will spaghetti really suffice? Not to say spaghetti is shit, but it has it's place. Maybe Britson isn't the right flavour for what you put it on, or even a flavour you like. And that is fine, but saying unequivocally that something is 'better' or the 'best' is so unbelievably childish and near-sighted.

These are all just different. We just need to accept that they're different, and let them be, instead of this insane hierarchical assessment of their worth. YAWN.

fese wrote:

This is such a cool idea! I would totally kickstart support that. Though I am not sure about the market for that because usually people want the shiny stuff and instant gratification and not spend hours training and listening (and that includes me :oops: )
A cool idea indeed! Might even be useful in professional studios to be able to quickly try out and compare different effects/plugins/settings on (parts of) tracks, so there might be an interesting market for it after all..
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

itneveris wrote:No, unless you need the CPU. This is probably the only reason I bought this, but I'm glad I did.
+1. If I could run 48 API Visions (along with all the other UAD plugins I use), I probably wouldn't use Satson.

Return to “Effects”