Online guitar course?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
I'm (again) looking for an online guitar resource. To learn how to play, that is.

Time to practice is scarce, so I'm looking for a relatively compact and efficient guide. I'm play piano/keyboards player and a few other instruments. Familiar with common progressions and styles, chords and scales etc.

I'm sure there are resources people who want guitar as a 2nd or 3rd instrument. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a good tip. Yes?

CHeers!
ego
Mac, Ableton Live, various plugs and some outboard.
https://soundcloud.com/cloudmachinemusic

did you try here?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Did you think I'd never heard of Google or learned how to use it?
I'm looking for RECOMMENDED stuff. Information from intelligent and informed individuals to help me weed through all the noise that the web is so full of, and your post representative of.

Cheers!

Geddulp wrote:Did you think I'd never heard of Google or learned how to use it?
I'm looking for RECOMMENDED stuff. Information from intelligent and informed individuals to help me weed through all the noise that the web is so full of, and your post representative of.

Cheers!

sorry I was just being a clown :clown: seriously...my best suggestion is to support your local guitar teachers out there trying to make a living. You can learn a lot online, I am a firm believer of that and also I firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with going online to get free information (there are those who think that is some sort of false entitlement thing).

With that said and being a guitar player myself I do not think it is something you can casually learn or at least not at first. (imo any good teacher, not just music, teaches the student to learn on their own and not be dependent on the teacher) I truly wish I had the teaching gene but I do not, but I have had a lot of friends who were guitar teachers (I was in music retail so I knew many teachers), and there are some very good teachers out there and tbh most would gladly work with what ever schedule you have (though you may need more time to practice than you hoped).

I think if I were to do it online I would avoid any sites with "tricks"...learn to play a song in five minutes type of thing...there are a million of them out there and that makes the net a minefield. So therefore I might get real specific with what I want to learn and go to youtube for vids to get a taste whether or not learning on the net would work for you. For 40 plus years I have seen these tricks for sale even on tv back in the day and you dont learn how to play, you learn how to mimic.

Beware before you buy, sometimes the cheap comes out expensive :wink:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I never saw anybody say that looking for internet resources means a sense of unearned entitlement just through that. There have for instance, over to the Music Theory board, been particular individuals asking the same question {for over a year in one case, having gotten nothing out of canvassing the 'net} or same quality of question over and over, looking one more again for that magical tip or trick in place of study, as they couldn't take the thing seriously enough to see that there would be a cogent course of action, where discoveries happen in the fullness of playing music... That did not want to hear that last bit, especially, that apparently were a product of seeing people present as 'producers'; so one picks up on a sense of entitlement to a result (bypassing the channels - the work ethic - that will lead one organically to real results) that I find strange and a bad sign as per society. I have to point out that there is probably a context for such a remark (I'm pretty sure what you're referring to, John, albeit with the safety you feel you enjoy through the mask of 'some people')?

At one time I wanted to obtain more useful keyboard skills (knowing I was no keyboardist) and what I did was get a copy of Bartok Mikrokosmos and other resources, and outline a plan that would have taken quite some practice time. I failed at this, at the structuring of my time that would have required basically.

I find that you require someone else to cut through the noise of the internet a strangely mixed signal, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I think in general the expectation you have is going to collide with your time constraints. Maybe someone has enough time on their hands to lead you exactly to your promised land. Good luck with this approach.

google the following:

-songster
-ultimate guitar
-tux guitar

Thanks for your replies.

Having already learned several instruments, I know it takes lots of time and practice.
I'm just looking to find good resources for people who are not beginning musicians. So I thought it was a good idea to ask in this forum, thinking that there would be adult musicians here.

IMO playing "Mikrokosmos", even though it's written for kids, is not necessarily an efficient way to train keyboard skills, but it may open patient ears to new and interesting tonalities and textures. It's better as musical training than instrumental/practical training. You may have done yourself a disservice choosing that.

There is nothing wrong with asking the way in a new city, even though you've been to several before. Even though there's maps and GPS. :tu:

Geddulp wrote:Thanks for your replies.

Having already learned several instruments, I know it takes lots of time and practice.
I'm just looking to find good resources for people who are not beginning musicians. So I thought it was a good idea to ask in this forum, thinking that there would be adult musicians here.

IMO playing "Mikrokosmos", even though it's written for kids, is not necessarily an efficient way to train keyboard skills, but it may open patient ears to new and interesting tonalities and textures. It's better as musical training than instrumental/practical training. You may have done yourself a disservice choosing that.

There is nothing wrong with asking the way in a new city, even though you've been to several before. Even though there's maps and GPS. :tu:
once again sorry for my cheekiness (most people here are use to my sense of humor)...anyhow I can understand your point about already having the background in music. One thing you have to keep in mind is you need to play frequently enough so as not to lose the callouses on your finger tips, this is why I say it's not a casual instrument to learn.

My concern with online learning of an instrument is that it's a cookie cutter approach* and may take more f your time. I am sure there are some that will tailor their lessons to your needs but once again not as well as a one on one teacher could do. If you went that route a teacher could assess your needs, listen to where you want to go and the two of you can formulate an approach that works best for you. Again the other thing is online the baiting, the milking and the 'tricks' also concerns me. There will be some good online teachers I am sure but how much will you have to wade through to find them. My google search came up with a lot of results that seem to suggest you first lesson(s) are free then once they have you hooked you start to pay. (the cheap may turn out expensive)

If you're going to do it online I still say stick to youtube, there are teachers all over youtube who want to teach you (I went through this with my daughter and math tbh). You have to sort out the good info from the bad, but there will be s many videos I suspect you will be able to compare different videos to get past that some. With your background already you should be able to figure out what some of your needs are and find the answers(but that takes time).

However, let's step back and ask some questions

1. what kind of music do you play?
2. do you have a guitar now? If so what do you have
3. what style of guitar do you want to learn?
4. where are you now? (for instance, can you tune a guitar? Do you have any experience with guitar already?...that kind of thing)

The guitar is a wonderful instrument that keeps teaching you as long as you allow it, but it's not a walk in the park to learn...I wish you all the best and if i can help I'll check my sarcasm at the door so just let me know. :)

*as a parent with a daughter in high school I have been in the battle of cookie cutter education for years now and thankfully my daughter is in a school that lets her grow and is far from cookie cutter (a great charter school) cookie cutter education is very antiquated.

One other note on that, some teachers for guitar still use the same Mel Bay book with the same lessons I started on in the 60's so beware of that as well...you do not want someone whether it be online or in person to milk you along the way...and trust me, they will try.

Hey man,
yes I can tune a guitar (reasonably well ;)
I got a strat cheap. I'll just make my own exercises. I just want to start with basics so I can build a decent chord vocabulary to comp own songs with. Perhaps a CAGED approach is worthwhile? I know there's some discussion around that, though. I'll try some 12-bar blues in E also, to have an easy song form to work with.

Thanks for the long post, no worries. Cheers!

Geddulp wrote:IMO playing "Mikrokosmos", even though it's written for kids, is not necessarily an efficient way to train keyboard skills, but it may open patient ears to new and interesting tonalities and textures. It's better as musical training than instrumental/practical training. You may have done yourself a disservice choosing that.
I said 'and other resources'. I was 49 by then and that vocabulary wasn't news to me at 24. I'm pretty sure I knew myself. Mikrokosmos for independence of hands, and mentally. You may find that your left hand for determining notes vis a vis the right hand activating them as strange as I find the upside-downness of the left hand on the keyboard. I was not ever going to become a very good keyboard player (even as I've actually been called to studio to fill in, NB). The reason I offered the anecdote was to indicate that from experience, I - with no job, just a lot of music to get done - never found the time. I found other strategies.

As far as 'in a new city', here a lot of people canvass for directions to the internet manna. Me, I don't believe in it. I understand you want someone with their experience navigating, but who knows if they are you. My POV is it will probably not be a time-saving approach, vs DIY.
I think Hink with 'stick to the youtube' may have something. :shrug:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”