The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

cool gif
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Nice .gif animation. What did you use to record that?

mysticvibes wrote:I don't like that method either but you can alter the length some by clicking then dragging cursor
LawrenceF wrote:Works here, but the mouse positioning to get the sizing cursor is a little touchy / tiny (the target) when the note is small.

Double click to create a note and then size without changing tools...

It's much easier when the note is vertically taller.
ZenPunkHippy wrote:Another option is to use number keys 1 - 5 to change the mouse function as required. It's pretty intuitive once you get used to it.

Some kind of advanced multi-tool would be useful for MIDI editing (and other tasks), though.

Peace,
Andy.
No no, you guys aren't getting me. I'm saying both of those ways of doing it are unacceptable. Thanks for going through the trouble of making that gif though. If you use the pointer tool you have to double-click to insert a note, then click again and drag to edit length. Why do that with every note? It's super annoying. If you use two tools you have to constantly switch them and keep your finger on those keys. Boo.

Easiest thing would just be to add the ability to double click and drag with the pointer tool to determine note size while you enter it just like ableton. Then you can easily add and edit notes without it being a two step process or having to switch tools. I don't know about you guys but editing note length is one of the primary things im messing with when doing midi so making it so complex makes no sense.
Last edited by Ogopogo on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

True. Sounds like an FR.

No clue how Live works but in S1 it's double click and hold to draw both length and velocity on the X/Y axis before letting the button go.

I'm sure they'll improve it. It's early still.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

you mean adjusting lenth outside of grid?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:you mean adjusting lenth outside of grid?
Um, I guess. Not totally sure if I understand what you mean. I want to be able to enter a note that's bigger than just one of whatever division the grid is at. With the pointer tool.

I will imagine too that when you double click to create it's snapping to settings.

Live is similar to S1. Double click to create and hold and drag to length.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

LawrenceF wrote:True. Sounds like an FR.

No clue how Live works but in S1 it's double click and hold to draw both length and velocity on the X/Y axis before letting the button go.

I'm sure they'll improve it. It's early still.
Yeah I guess. It's just pretty surprising that it isn't in there and I'm not sure how long I'll have to wait. Also if they don't fix it how I want for something reason I'd be :cry:

Yeah. I do get what he's saying though.

You'd think it would have came up multiple times during the beta (and maybe it did, I obviously wouldn't know either way) but yes, what he says would be better in any case.

To create notes of any length:

1. Make pen tool active
2. Click on grid to enter note, hold mouse button
3. Drag to resize, keep holding
4. Press shift-key for snap free resizing

Seems less common that moving notes is required, but pressing 1 to switch to select to move the odd note doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
... space is the place ...

^But then you have to switch back to the pointer tool if you want to edit a note length later. Adding notes and editing note lengths are both things that I do constantly and together to try out a new idea. I don't want to have to switch tools to make that happen. Not when it's easy to make it work without having to switch.

Edit. Oh yeah, and moving notes is important to not have to switch tools for either. But you can already do that with the pointer tool.
Last edited by Ogopogo on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If Bitwig developers read this, change maximum tempo default, it could leave some users with bad impression

TTU Youtube

Here's another technique that seems to work, but it's a bit like the old Vulcan Hand Grip ;)

1. While holding down the 1 key press the 3 key to enable draw mode
2. Click-drag with shift to enter notes of any length
3. Release 3 to return to pointer tool

Not ideal, but it seems to work.

Definitely send in an FR for a multi-tool, though. I think it was probably mentioned during beta testing, don't know why it's not included.
... space is the place ...

K, I'll try that in the meantime. Thanks. I've added that I want to request this to my original thread in the bitwig forum, so if anyone wants it too you might wanna drop by and say so.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=406864

Ogopogo wrote:K, I'll try that in the meantime. Thanks. I've added that I want to request this to my original thread in the bitwig forum, so if anyone wants it too you might wanna drop by and say so.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=406864
The other thing I would miss a lot is Live's midi step recording. I use that all the time for creating notes. It is fast and I don't have to think about what notes on the vertical piano roll make a particular chord. And with the step recording you can add chords at once so it is really fast when one gets used to it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”