The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

hibidy wrote:Yeah, I have a tough time with "easily" replace but glad you are diggin' it. I've got no doubt they'll address the issues. I just think that that price and that product are quite a ways off imho.
I hear ya. I would gladly pay the asking price if all the current issues were addressed. For now in my opinion Bitwig Studio is not ready for prime time.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

I'd have a difficult time "replacing" Reason with anything. Even after all these years it's still one of the most unique environments I've ever worked in.

It was claimed that putting a device into an instrument FX slot would be per note. This is not so. FM-4 has no filter and you cannot add one that is per voice. So dropping the filter in the FM-4 FX slot is really no different that putting a filter after an instrument in any host. Well, you can modulate parameters in the device in the fx slot with the macro knobs from the instrument which is cool, but it is still monophonic and I can do that easily in Live as well.

I definitely like the modulation system, but since it is monophonic, and all the instruments are individually too simple for my tastes. It does not become a sort of modular system that I feel an excitement to use all that much. For example, I can do more in Zebra and do it easier.

While the modulation system is slick for built-in devices, it is less so for vst plug-ins. When one puts say Zebra in a track, it has 8 macros that one can assign to Zebra parameters. The frustrating thing is, you cannot just click on the parameter in Zebra itself. You have to select from a long list of hundreds of all available parameters in the Bitwig device. Okay, I spent about 2 minutes looking through the list for the parameter I want and I assigned it to Macro 1 and set the range. Now I go do some other things... then I decide I want to adjust the range so I go back to that device. I see no way to just go straight to that parameter in the list so I have to again look all through that long list to find the parameter I assigned to macro 1. If I remember what the parameter was called, then I can do a search which is faster but still means selecting the text field and typing in a few characters.

For VST's it is easier in Live.

pdxindy wrote: The frustrating thing is, you cannot just click on the parameter in Zebra itself. You have to select from a long list of hundreds of all available parameters in the Bitwig device. Okay, I spent about 2 minutes looking through the list for the parameter I want and I assigned it to Macro 1 and set the range. Now I go do some other things... then I decide I want to adjust the range so I go back to that device. I see no way to just go straight to that parameter in the list so I have to again look all through that long list to find the parameter I assigned to macro 1. If I remember what the parameter was called, then I can do a search which is faster but still means selecting the text field and typing in a few characters.
I agree.

It should not be hard to implement a highlight in the list when touching a gui element.
Just a matter of prioritization of what to implement first.

Spacebar focus stealing and soundtoys parameter listing is also an issue.

I guess vst standards comes after adressing bitwigs internal fixes.
Last edited by Bathrobe on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

mysticvibes wrote:I'm considering trying ableton now after this release.. I hear its good for electronic music but how does it compare to studio one?
20-40% better
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

pdxindy wrote:It was claimed that putting a device into an instrument FX slot would be per note. This is not so. FM-4 has no filter and you cannot add one that is per voice. So dropping the filter in the FM-4 FX slot is really no different that putting a filter after an instrument in any host. Well, you can modulate parameters in the device in the fx slot with the macro knobs from the instrument which is cool, but it is still monophonic and I can do that easily in Live as well.

I definitely like the modulation system, but since it is monophonic, and all the instruments are individually too simple for my tastes. It does not become a sort of modular system that I feel an excitement to use all that much. For example, I can do more in Zebra and do it easier.
isn't there way to add expression for devices? No expression for devices go after generator?

hahahahaa! Ah the 20-40% rule, it will NEVER get old!

mysticvibes wrote:I'm considering trying ableton now after this release.. I hear its good for electronic music but how does it compare to studio one?
TBF, for some, live for whatever reason isn't stable. Also, TBF, you need to look into the PDC issue and see if that is going to turn you off.

Now for me :D

Live is INCREDIBLE for electronic music. Copying, pasting patterns is so easy. Midi is good, the groove pool is indispensable, transferring to the arrangement view is painless and things like racks make it a joy. ALL of my plugins (and as you may know I collect them :D ) work (including waves) and unless your PC is woefully out of touch, CPU use is fine*

I use live every day, many hours a day and do audio and VST recordings and it just goes and goes. And if you can afford it, push is just a joy as well.

*it's not like reapers, but it's better than studio one for the record.

BTW mystic, if you can, get a copy of someone live "lite" and just test run it to see if works or try the demo. Before I bought suite, I ran my little lite copy and abused it to death to make sure it was what I want. Doesn't do everything but it's a good way to muck around for free. I'm certain SOMEONE here has a copy they'll give you if you don't have access to it.

Bathrobe wrote:
pdxindy wrote: The frustrating thing is, you cannot just click on the parameter in Zebra itself. You have to select from a long list of hundreds of all available parameters in the Bitwig device. Okay, I spent about 2 minutes looking through the list for the parameter I want and I assigned it to Macro 1 and set the range. Now I go do some other things... then I decide I want to adjust the range so I go back to that device. I see no way to just go straight to that parameter in the list so I have to again look all through that long list to find the parameter I assigned to macro 1. If I remember what the parameter was called, then I can do a search which is faster but still means selecting the text field and typing in a few characters.
I agree.

It should not be hard to implement a highlight in the list when touching a gui element.
Just a matter of prioritization of what to implement first.

Spacebar focus stealing is also an issue.

I guess vst standards comes after adressing bitwigs internal fixes.
Your last statement points to a vague sense I've had for quite some time that 3rd party plugins are not the highest priority for Bitwig.

I have nothing to base this on but a hunch, but it feels like there is a bit of the closed system thinking going on there. Like maybe they think, in some recess of the mind, that they can make a set of instruments and a modular environment that should be enough for people to use.

Seems to me there is a considerable gap between how much went into making the workflow for Bitwig devices and for 3rd party plugins.

In any case, I know it is unlikely that I will do anything differently than I do now. Which is to say, I rely almost entirely on plug-ins for instruments and effects. At least at this point, that nullifies one of the big selling points for Bitwig.

The sad thing about all of this is, even though Bitwig is missing on some stuff its still better than Ableton Live, Live has become a joke, PDC GG WP. One thing I'm going to miss in Live is the EQ8, best freaking plugin EQ in the market right now.
I love music but more than that, I love making it

Ogopogo wrote:I dunno, going to live instead seems like overkill considering how much stuff I love about bitwig. But it is seriously annoying that it works like this. Why do a two step process to enter notes when you could have a one step one? It really adds a lot of work to midi composing.

I'm really hoping I'm missing something here. Or maybe it's a bug. If not, maybe they could just add it, since double click drag with the pointer tool does nothing so it wouldn't mess anything up.
Hahahaha - remember when I told you that you will find something you hate about Bitwig. There we are ;-)

And who would have thought it's something as simple (to solve (hopefully) ) as a note-entering tool ;-)

I hope you will enjoy the ride anyway. :party:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

homunculus wrote:The sad thing about all of this is, even though Bitwig is missing on some stuff its still better than Ableton Live, Live has become a joke, PDC GG WP. One thing I'm going to miss in Live is the EQ8, best freaking plugin EQ in the market right now.
That's your opinion, not mine.

To me this first version of Bitwig is more if a "joke" than Live 9 ever was (not that i really agree that Live is a "joke").

Personally i just uninstalled the Bitwig demo. Maybe will check again when version 2 (or 3...) is out. At the moment i stay with Live 9 Suite and Reaper.

Looking forward to check Live 10 and also Reaper 5 once they are released.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
homunculus wrote:The sad thing about all of this is, even though Bitwig is missing on some stuff its still better than Ableton Live, Live has become a joke, PDC GG WP. One thing I'm going to miss in Live is the EQ8, best freaking plugin EQ in the market right now.
That's your opinion, not mine.

To me this first version of Bitwig is more if a "joke" than Live 9 ever was (not that i really agree that Live is a "joke").

Personally i just uninstalled the Bitwig demo. Maybe will check again when version 2 (or 3...) is out. At the moment i stay with Live 9 Suite and Reaper.

Looking forward to check Live 10 and also Reaper 5 once they are released.

Ingo
I would also say that Live is a joke . Take all the years together what Live had to get to the Version they have. They thought they have a "Monopoly" on live Performance sequencer and they can take their time for new Features.

Then there is that joke from Ableton not offering an upgrade from Live Lite to Intro, but (over)-flooding every damn Keyboard or Sound Card with Live Lite.
Last edited by juffi on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”