Linn LM-1 & LM-2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wanna get me some John Carpenter sounds!

Whats the best (and cheapest) way to get these sounds now? Are there any good synths or should I go the sample route? If the latter, can you recommend any packs?

Thanks.

Here is a free linn kit from akai professional site. Its from back in 2006. Plenty of others there also.

http://web.archive.org/web/200601130119 ... _kotw.html
Last edited by Lee702 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

You will get good results using the free samples.
Other ways to get LinnDrum are for example:
- XLN Audio Addictive Drums + Reel Machines ADPAK
- Arturia Spark Vintage Drum Machines (I'm selling it for 60 euros)

http://www.alyjameslab.com/
This might be very interesting. On his FB-page, he talks about release in March, so let's see.

It depends upon which ROMpler/sampler you're using, but a Google search for "Linn LM-1" or "LM-2" samples should get you many. Your best bet would be to find some that are for your sampler, or you're going to spend some time mapping them.

You may also want to check the ROMplers and synths you already have. Some may have what amounts to Linn samples, even though they've changed the patch or instrument name for copyright purposes.

And Arturia's Spark VDM offers either samples or synthesis (or both, depending upon the drum kit), and has some nice Linn sounds. They're very tweakable, too.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Thank you kind people!

I'm currently using Buzz and can't find a drumkit for it so may need to map the samples myself.

Will keep an eye out for VLinn too, thanks.
Last edited by Jono-60 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The problem with samples is that you will never have the real pitch behavior and character of the sound...
There is also a particular implementation for the hi-hat that makes it sound slightly different on every hit.
Sure if you only need a Linn LM-1 clap sound on top of a layered drum loop, a sample can do the job :)
But if you look for a complete Linn sound with all the control of the real machine...

Let me explain a bit:
Internally, the hihat sample is played continuously in a loop, that is why, each time you trigger the hihat it will sound different...
triggering the hihat only fires a volume envelope with a short or long decay (close and open hihat).

The DAC was an AM6070, Non linear 8bit type, able to decode the special format the samples were encoded in that era (mostly to reduce the size of the data when memory was costly), most of them were originally recorded without taking care of the Nyquist law resulting in some aliasing that funnily makes the samples cut through a mix easier compared to other machines of that era.

Every sounds were tunable on the LM-1, basically a knob controls the pulse speed of a clock that reads all the bytes in a particular EPROM (chip which stores the sample), there were no interpolation on the output which gives the sound this particular crunchy sound when tuned low.

Some samples like the bassy ones were sent to a filter (CEM3320) put in a basic 4 pole low pass mode without resonance to mask the low bit resolution when the sound decays, cleverly, triggering the sample also triggers a short pulse that let the filter wide open only for the attack transient part.

As this is hardware, all of these parameters could be fine tuned directly on the boards and you can even change the EPROM to put some others samples in the machine.

All of the above is emulated fully in my upcoming VLinn VST (win). :tu:
That means that you will also be able to load an EPROM binary file in it!
Basically we will be able to load any REAL samples (in binary format) from that era! including DMX,Drumtracks etc.. ones which were in the same format.
Even original owners of the real machines will be able to load their dumped samples into the VLinn.

You can also encode a personal wav file in this particular binary format to play it on the Linn...
You will be able to tweak the filter chip, unlock the pitch range speed (as low as 1000Hz) etc...
The VST will have a different output for every samples for easier mixing in a DAW and every parameters can be automated (pitch automation can produce interesting results..)
Last but not least an auto trigger function (which reset the eprom clock on each pulse) can be set to very high speed, producing tones as the sample is re-triggered quickly in a loop...

It should have been available this week but I am delaying it to Mid-April to make the last tweaking and prepare some demos and website infos.
+it will cost no more than 20 bucks :) ...or more if you want to support via donation.
Hope that helps

http://www.alyjameslab.com

This sounds like exactly what I've been after for years. Samples are OK but I was always aware that using the sampler's pitching wasn't the same as using the LM-1's. Plus all the other variations you mention. Count me in.

Aly, that sounds fantastic! I am now eagerly awaiting the release.

I just checked out your website and OMG - Sega Megadrive synth too! Might get it just to look at it :D

+1
thanks for your awesome support :wink:
The Sega Genesis FM synth is so badass :love: I just write my own review!

If possible, could you implement midi learn on the drum pads so the VST can be easily mapped with an Akai MPD or similar. I am very interested in this....now hurry up and release it! :)

I'll see what I can do :)
For now it is mapped to standard GM Drums + some mappable
All other functions are midi learn-able, so it might not be hard to add that.

Aly James wrote:I'll see what I can do :)
For now it is mapped to standard GM Drums + some mappable
All other functions are midi learn-able, so it might not be hard to add that.
INSTRUMENT / MIDI Note
BD C2
SD D2
LT F2
MT G2
HT B2
RS C#2
CP D#2
CB G#3
CY C#3
OH A#2
CH F#2

Excuse my stupidity, is the above drumset following the standard GM Drums, I have 2 x Drum Machines that work like this, if this 'Linn' VST works the same it should be fine...?

Anyone can answer this btw... :oops:

Jono-60 wrote:Wanna get me some John Carpenter sounds!

Whats the best (and cheapest) way to get these sounds now? Are there any good synths or should I go the sample route? If the latter, can you recommend any packs?
Thanks.
While I don't claim ultimate realism, here's one from www.sampleism.com thats pretty cheap and mapped for Kontakt, and if you grab your mod-wheel and pitchbend, the full Kontakt effects chain gets medieval on your ass, and it goes off into a mondo bit-crushed, convoluted garbled sound
that must be useful for something :-).

Mondo Linn(£3.00)

Soundcloud demo here.

VLINN VST LINNDRUM LM-1 Realtime EPROM decoding + External EPROMS loading etc...
Release between May 12 and 18 :)
Some detailed infos >> http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvlinn.html
Quick previews >>
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... OvJOh_vhj1

Return to “Instruments”