Nuclear powered atomic submarine synthesizer

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What ever you do, do not listen to this.

If you are curious it is a series of bloops. Just leave it at that and walk away while you still can.

What has been heard can not be unheard :cry:

https://soundcloud.com/aciddose/horriab ... ar-powered
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

This is good unpredictability!
Sounds like NI Molekular Effect.

Not sure what that is, but you've made me realize I probably could have added a little description.

It is a single software synthesizer, monophonic. It includes some effects.

"Melody" is generated so I don't need to go through the horrible effort of actually attempting to compose something when completely random notes tend to sound better anyway.

Then I'm just tweaking the controls a little bit at a time.

The main thing going on is that there is a delay effect and a limiter over top of the whole thing. I adjust the gain post-delay and pre-limiter up, that compresses all the dynamics so the quiet little echos turn into full blown notes. Blips turn into sustained tones. I adjust the gain down and the dynamics are increased again.

The self-oscillating filter in combination with saturation and distortion and the delay and some EQ and all the minor tweaks allow some reasonably interesting dynamic to happen in an emergent way.

A few places I thought sounded interesting, although for the most part it's a major bore :)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

It makes my cup of tea. I don't really care for melodic progressions all that much. Basslines are good for a harmonic content. Really don't mean to tread though.

LB

I was thinking to release an effect plugin to generate these sequences at some point in the future, my implementation just isn't all that great yet.

I wrote it just to quickly generate some notes and rhythm when testing plugins as having a keyboard there and trying to play "random" sequences I get tired hands and tend to play a lot of the same thing over and over potentially missing pitch and rhythm combinations that could trigger a bug.

There are other plugins that work in similar ways and I suspect they can do much better, although I'll probably still add a few more features and get it to produce slightly more regular patterns and just release it as part of Xhip Effects. I've also been working on a RPN/NRPN and a pitch to midi plugin so the melody generator will probably get thrown in just to round off the midi effects at some point.

Sounds good.

aciddose wrote:What ever you do, do not listen to this.
:x you almost made me not listen to this! :x
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

20 years ago if you did that with a modular system the room would be full of synthgasm flotsam.

No less impressive in the box. Much fun! :clap:

xoxos wrote:
aciddose wrote:What ever you do, do not listen to this.
:x you almost made me not listen to this! :x
:hihi:

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

My brother is a nuclear engineer so I'm sure my qualifications and authority to properly critique this for authenticity exceed anyone else currently browsing this thread. Even so I'm not gonna tell you how your bleeping composition fairs against a nuclear reactor used to power a sub except that it needs more distorted noise.

I found it to be very listenable. I really liked the vocal formant effect early on, but all of the variations were cool. More acid than Wubwubwub, I should think.

Good work :)

It's the original wubwubwub, far better than those sounds they have resembling an unfortunate fellow suffering an epileptic seizure in a rusty creaky wheelchair.

Cool track! Despite the randomness of the melody, it does seem to have a natural progression of sorts going on there through the changing effects.

Gets pretty visceral towards the end there!

Reminds me at times of some of Keith Fullerton Whitman's modular Generator bits.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Return to “Music Cafe”