Sominik - AumThirty (kryptic minds, dark dub, 130bpmFREEDl)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/som-aghabala/aumthirty

looking for some feedback on this , maybe how i can create some more headroom and get a bit more groove to it? not sure about the 4/4 section at the end either.

Really diggin' this one. The mix is great. The growling bass contrasts really well with the really lively sounding percussion. I like the creepy atmosphere throughout. I wasn't sure about the 4/4 section, but it was over almost too quickly. Maybe bring down the volume of the snare in that part a little and go crazy with some other percussion (toms, timbales or maybe something African) during those 16 bars to give the track a big build before cooling off for the final release. If I want to buy myself a little headroom, I usually get it by cutting a little volume in the mix, usually by means of some volume automation, and after the form and sequence of the track is set in stone.

Good work :)

I liked the dark menacing bass although maybe there is too much reverb on it. The track sets up a moody atmosphere quite effectively. The track didn't really go anywhere but perhaps it doesn't need to.

YOU GUYS ARE SO GOOD FOR FEEDBACK! ok seismic1 i think i get what you mean i used 4 different snares on that track so maybe i should use the lightest snare on its on in the 4/4 section and extend it a couple bars , i definitely need to bring the other percussion forward in the mix to give more movement and build. Volume automation sounds like an ace idea i use it a bit at the start and in the break for the kick drum but i reckon i could use it other places you're right .Frantz i agree completely , there's no reverb on the bass but i get what you mean its a patch i made from scratch on massive so i think it just needs tweaking a bit to give it some more tone rather than body. thanks so much again guys! i wanna make those changes and then show you some how to get some more feedback how should i go about that?

Make sure you work on a copy of your original project before making any major changes to it :) You could either replace the original track on SoundCloud, or if you have enough free space there, you could put up a V2. That way, other people would be able to compare both versions.

Ok ive replaced the file for now but i have a copy of the original too so if you like have a listen let me know if its any better or not ?

I just listened to the new version, and it appears that you have managed to create the headroom desired. the dynamic range has dropped from approx. 11 to 10 in the new mix. Having listened to them both again, I think the sound of that snare on the original version much less a problem as I thought yesterday. Overall, I think that the original had a crisper sound to the percussion. I thought it sounded slightly louder too.

My preference is for the original.

sweet ive just replaced the file again, given it a trim down in a few of the breaks and taken out the second part of the 4/4 section , replaced the eq i was using to get it back more to the original clarity so yeh this should be better and slightly louder etc give it a listen let me know what you think also if you fancy listening to the drum and bass track ive tried to make on my s.c that would be ace too

I like it more at this shorter length. It make more sense and manages to say everything that the original said. It's better with the shorter 4/4 section. As far as I can tell this version is a little less loud than the original, so if it's not mastered yet, you should be able to achieve a volume increase, if that is what you want. Which synth are you using for that delayed arp sound on here? It sounds just like a Synthmaster patch I'm using on my latest remix.

Ahh thats great exactly what i wanted to hear i think with out the intro and outro its about 5 and a half minutes which seems reasonable for a dub song , yeh i think over extending the 4/4 section was just adding length to the song and not really doing anything apart from making it drag a bit. I have pretty much next to zero experience with mastering and boosting so im doing it all really gradually and seeing what comes out best but i know what you mean, i kinda cheated before and just left it with a panoramic eq , a multiband compressor and maximus set on clear master but ive been playing with filtrate recently which may be the answer to giving it a volume boost in the right areas. For the delayed arp playing at the start i made my own from scratch on massive its 3 waves i cant remember what they are now coz im on a university computer and wont be back home till later but im pretty sure its just linked to a low pass and band pass filter and set to a performer if that makes sense??

also ive replaced the file again should come through a little louder and nicer now

This one sounds slightly louder to me. On each of the mixes the Dynamic range has progressively decreased from 11 on the original mix, through 10 on the second, 9 on the third and the newest has a range of 8. That's probably as low as I would want to take things on a mastered track, without overly distorting the relationships between the low and high volume levels in your mix. Anyway, this version sounds better than the previous one. The balance of the percussion in the 4/4 section is better here.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”