New Gauge Mics (new for me) (small condensers)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

a gift from my cousin, the ECM84 Stealth

like I said a gift to me but this kit sells for 184usd...gonna put them to the test. TBH he asked if I wanted a mic (and I wont ask him for the 480 dollar tube mic :hihi: ) and I said I would not mind one of these ECM84s...I had no idea he was going to send me the whole kit but what a kit it is...I now have four Gauge mics (counting the kit as two mics) and expect these to be as great as the others...this isn't bais it's just a fact, he sells excellent mics at an even more excellent price :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Been reading up on these mic's, quite impressive.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

it's shame that it seems here at KvR when I post about Gauge mics there is little interest, I would post a link to his new mic pre-amp but he has music playing when you go on the site and I know how that bugs people, but it's really a nice pre...then there is a tube mic for 479 usd. His business is doing very, very well but because he doesn't sell his mics in stores I think people here pass them over which is understandable. (you can buy them form eric at JRR).

These two have a bass roll of and a -10db as well as coming with an extra set of capsules for omni-directional use and of course the capsules on the mics now are cardioid pick-up configuration...a lot of bang for the buck.

I think that stereo bar might do well up inside the top of my iso cab along with the 57 I use now...in fact I set both mics to -10db so I wont forget when I try them in the cab :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Just seeing this now. What a glorious gift!

To be honest, I am far more interested in microphones than plugins. :wheee:

Can you post some sound clips? Especially interested in hearing on acoustic guitar.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

MickGael wrote:Just seeing this now. What a glorious gift!

To be honest, I am far more interested in microphones than plugins. :wheee:

Can you post some sound clips? Especially interested in hearing on acoustic guitar.
I am working on an acoustic song now so give me a few days :) you can go to his page but you have to listen to like all the clips at once (I dont like that to begin with but he needs to fix the fact they all start playing together at the same time because it sounds :nutter: ) So go to the page, turn down your volume until that is done playing or go hit pause on all the players and you can listen to each mic with various instruments...or you can wait until I have something :)

FTR I also have the ECM 87

http://www.gauge-usa.com/Gauge_Microphones/Listen.html

Thanks! Had a pair of KM184s I sold because they were too "hard sounding" for my taste. Replaced them with a pair of Beyer MC930s which I also sold. So I'm on the hunt!
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

They almost look the same as my Golden Age Project microphones. The capsules are switchable though I only have the cardioid ones.

KungKrille wrote:They almost look the same as my Golden Age Project microphones. The capsules are switchable though I only have the cardioid ones.
they do look the same and tbh his first set of mics were that color and then they were the ECM84's now because of the color he added "stealth" to the name. Truth be told they very well can be the same mics, Gauge does not shy away from the fact their mics are made in China, in fact that's one of the selling points because that's how he keeps the price low. The difference with Gauge mics is the two guys behind them actually take the time to listen to every mic and test them out and if they do not meet their expectations they go back to China.

Now this might sound a little like bull, I mean who are these guys and why should we trust their ears? Well the main force behind them is Rob Chiarelli of Final Mix (beware music starts playing when you go to his page) a producer with a great reputation for his mixing skills. Here's a blurb from his wiki page
Rob Chiarelli (born 13 January 1963) is an American record producer, mix engineer, musician and published author. Widely recognized as a music producer for Will Smith and Men in Black II (2002),[2] Chiarelli's work appears on numerous Gold and Platinum albums and motion picture soundtracks, including six Grammy Award winners
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Chiarelli

Now that really doesn't mean all that tbh, I suspect your mics are going to sound the same. Even if there is a difference I'm not sure most people would hear what they hear or dont hear. It really just speaks to the commitment they have to their customers and providing good mics for prices real people can afford :)

If the mics are the same (very likely) I don't think you have to worry. They are very good for the price :)

KungKrille wrote:If the mics are the same (very likely) I don't think you have to worry. They are very good for the price :)
they sure are, I have one in my iso cab right now next to an SM57...and tbh I really cannot beat the price...unless someone is going to pay me for using their mics :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”