What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

SoftClipper

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

4444 posts since 16 Feb, 2005

Postby camsr; Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:34 pm SoftClipper

:D
This is a soft clipping plugin with (hopefully lower in the future) very low CPU hit, and very intuitive use and sound.
It is in development now as I will be adding some more features soon.

NOW HAS PARAMETER SMOOTHING, SAFE TO AUTOMATE
v3 zip Download
v3.1 zip Download with 64-bit precision for Sonar etc.

v1 x86 Download
v1 x64 Download

v2 x86 Download
v2 x64 Download

It uses the host's default GUI, but in it's defense, there's one knob only.
The DRIVE knob achieves clipping by boosting the signal above 0dBFS internally, and then scaling it back afterwards. The only change occurs on peaks, not average volume.
With a 0dBFS input signal, full drive will attain roughly -10dBFS peak on output.

A test run on my Q9450: (v1, v2 is faster)

If there are any showstopper bugs or strange behaviors, crashes, please don't hesitate to report them.
Also, it is optimized for Core 2 platforms, would be interesting to see AMD users results.

Update: v2 uses a faster algorithm with similar sound, but the two version are not the same.
Update: v3 adds parameter smoothing, v3.1 enables processDoubleReplacing
Last edited by camsr on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
KVRAF

Postby camsr; Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:23 am Re: SoftClipper

x64 build doesn't like FL's bit bridge.
Is there a big need for soft clippers?
Last edited by camsr on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
q_h
KVRer

16 posts since 30 Sep, 2004

Postby q_h; Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:56 am Re: SoftClipper

camsr,
Also, it is optimized for Core 2 platforms, would be interesting to see AMD users results.

:D
Pnenom II x4 @ 3.3Gz
KVRAF

Postby camsr; Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:25 pm Re: SoftClipper

Ahh, but you have to drive it to the max to see the real numbers, because it only distorts above a threshold, and that distortion uses more CPU. You may notice higher CPU usage on peaks, but not much :)
q_h
KVRer

16 posts since 30 Sep, 2004

Postby q_h; Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:22 pm Re: SoftClipper

camsr, i tested with drive 5.5

new test - max drive (10)
KVRian

928 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:44 pm Re: SoftClipper

Thanks for this :) Just tried it up against Signal Dust's Tsclip, which is what I've been using lately for soft clipping duties, and it stacks up nicely in my little unscientific test :D (threw it on a dynamic techno track from the early 90's). With Tsclip in it's default state (saturation 'off') it actually sounds slightly cleaner with bass being slightly better maintained at the same levels of gain reduction. Will test on some snares and a few other things tomorrow. Oh, and love the fact it's latency free and it uses only 0.2% of my core 2 duo E6600.
Professional online mixing and mastering at very competitive rates.
Web / Soundcloud
KVRAF

1914 posts since 10 Oct, 2007, from Almanya

Postby chokehold; Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:05 pm Re: SoftClipper

I love 'em, but I prefer the kind that "lowers" the ceiling onto a signal, rather than boosting the signal "up into" the ceiling.

This just comes from the fact that I use clippers to tame the odd peak or two that DI signals from electric basses and guitars so often have. Boosting the volume of the entire signal up and then "cutting the tops off" would change the original signal too much and too obviously alter the overall perceived loudness of the DI track, and with it the result of the following software amps or reamping attempts.

Sometimes, clipping a few dB off and being able to push the entire track up a few dB is all it needs, it doesn't always have to be as close to -0.01dB as possible. :)

Oh, and... Mac here, so I can't try yours. Pity. :(
KVRian

928 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:15 pm Re: SoftClipper

chokehold wrote:I love 'em, but I prefer the kind that "lowers" the ceiling onto a signal, rather than boosting the signal "up into" the ceiling.

This one does work that way in the little test I did earlier. Even though you are increasing a 'drive' parameter it doesn't increase any perceived loudness - it just lowers peaks.
Professional online mixing and mastering at very competitive rates.
Web / Soundcloud
KVRAF

Postby camsr; Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 am Re: SoftClipper

I intend to keep it latency free, because that will allow more creative usage. It doesn't alias that bad, but it is advisable to use a 96000hz sampling rate for best sound and usage. At 96000hz, signals limited to 20000hz will not show significant aliasing in the raw or downsampled using this algorithm.
I cannot support both PC and Mac, sorry. No Mac first off, and I am still trying to work out the bugs of this version. It is very platform dependent, and it should only work on x86 and x86-64 platforms (I know Macs use Intel now, but there still are important differences)
If someone could try it out on Linux/WINE, that would also be very helpful.
DuX
KVRAF

3213 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:12 am Re: SoftClipper

It's a really nice feature that you can cut the peaks without changing the loudness so you can hear more clearly how it sounds. Interesting.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
KVRAF

Postby camsr; Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:54 am Re: SoftClipper

I have updated the x64 version...
It still does not like FLv10, but in REAPER x64 it works fantastic,
and now it is 300-400% faster.
I changed the algorithm slightly, so it's not the same as before, but very similar.
It will enter hard clipping (for most purposes) above +24dbFS, the Drive only takes the gain up to +20dB for 0dB inputs.
At full drive the GR is still 9.5dB
The saturation is softer before a drive of 4.2, after that it gets steeper, in comparison to the first algorithm.
Last edited by camsr on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVRAF

1892 posts since 6 Jul, 2012, from Sick-cily

Postby Turello; Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:01 pm Re: SoftClipper

Effective plugin... Like on rock acoustic snare for squash! Thanks
DuX
KVRAF

3213 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:23 pm Re: SoftClipper

Interesting! I'd like to give it a whirl but what happened to the V2 x86? I can't use x64 plugins.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
KVRAF

Postby camsr; Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:43 pm Re: SoftClipper

It has yet to exhibit the same speedup.
Working on it... Trying mostly to get FL10 bridging working before that.
KVRAF

Postby camsr; Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:37 pm Re: SoftClipper

I think bridging is just the problem, tested the new x86 build and it's much faster.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects